Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Racist Parents and Being Defended!  (Read 9350 times)

IrishGeisha

• Sr. Citizen
  • BA Cornell, MA Sacred Heart, Pepperdine Law in Aug
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AdoptAPitbull
    • View Profile
    • Irish Geisha's Blog
Re: Racist Parents and Being Defended!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 01:38:19 PM »
I guess it is just over.  There is too much here to fix.  Wow.
"I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself." - Michel Eyquem

jgruber

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 01:43:34 PM »

All relationships require work to succeed.  Have you invested much in this one?

thechoson

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 01:49:55 PM »
If I was dating a Chinese girl (which I am, haha), and my dad said, "Chinese people are stupid.."

I would not go off on him.  But I sure as HELL wouldn't defend him either, and I would tell my gf that I am sorry, and that my dad was being dumb.

So in that sense, yea, Shermy is screwed up in a way, cause I don't see how you could agree or defend "Japanese are stupid..".

Now , as far as the lack of creativity thing.  Its a stereotype first started in the East at the turn of the century, during the Meiji Reformation. Japan was an isolationist country (even with its primary neighbors Korea and China, barring Hideyoshi's FAILED (HAHA a-hole) invasion of Korea in 1592) until Admiral Perry used gunboat diplomacy to open up Japan in the mid 19th century.

At the point, the Jap gov't realized a crisis.  To avoid being colonized, they had to modernize, copy the West, in a sense.  Emperor also saw this as an opportunity to acquire the military might to finally crush those idiotic feudal lords that had been ruling Japan for almost all of its history. So he did just that, the Meiji reformation was about modernizing to combat outside and internal forces.  The military was modernized in the Prussian fashion.  Equipment was brought in from the USA.  Scholars studied in France and Germany.  And on and on...  Japan was bent on avoiding the humiliating western incursions that were going on in the rest of Asia, and to an extent, they were successful.

However, now they had problems.  They realized that the best way to invade their land was through Korea, a weak ass backwards nation that couldn't defend themselves.  So, they decided to prempt any western power from taking over Korea (and hence being a short swim away from invading Japan full out), by taking over Korea.  This was what the Sino- Jap war was about (1894-5?).  Once the Japs kicked the might Chinese's asses, they pretty much took over Korea slowly until annexation in 1910. However, one of the provisions of the Sino-Jap war was that the Liotung Peninsula (chinese territory) was seded over to Japan.  However, the West was not going to allow this, and the Triple Intervention (Germany, France, England) returned the peninsula to China.  Japan learned that the West was still boss, and hence copied them even more to modernize and strengthen themselves.

Finally in 1910 they annexed Korea.  This time the West didn't say anything. The Japs were too strong (they had kicked Russia's ass in a recent war), and besides, why risk war over Korea?  The Big Dog was now the USA, which allowed the Japs to have Korea in exchange for USA rights in the Philipines.  So there we go.

The colonial rule of Korea was copied first off the British rule of India, then the French rule of their colonies.  Japan was new to this thing, and they copied, copied, and copied.  Hence the continuation of this sterotype.

After WWII, the Japs realized something yet again. Again they were on the verge of having their sovereignty stripped by the West.  They realized, *&^%, we were wrong.  We can't combat the West, especially the USA, with military might.  We have to do it with economic might.  So they started copying off the west again, in a sense, with cars and electronics.  HOWEVER, now you must give the Japs their due.

Cause a lot of the things we see today, are Jap innovations that the WEST actually copied from them.  1970s, gas crisis.  Japan saw an opportunity and started selling econo box cars in teh USA. The Big 3 scoffed, saying little dinky cars were made for Japan, not the USA (which i tend to agree with) but that didn't matter, as the AMerican public, growing more tired of rising gas prices, bought these little Jap cars.  The Jap car market took off, and now the trend is high quality, economical cars, which the USA has continued to  play catch up to.

The walkman is another Jap innovation. The Nintendo.

But, the Japs reached their peak in the 80s.  Their economy was somewhat built on shaky foundations.  They were expanding too fast.  Banks were loaning money to companies on sky high interest rates, cause companies were expanding fast enough to pay them back.  Consumers invested in companies, FDI was solid.  But their currency was overvalued.  Eventually, the market dried up.  Other East Asian countries (namely South Korea and Taiwan) ate up market share, and achieved their economic miracles.  The Japanese machine couldn't continue.  Companies showed slowing profits.  They had to save on labor. They moved operations to 3rd World Countries.  They cut wages, fired a bunch of people.  And yet, inflation was still high, and Japan went into a recession and their economy hasn't been the same since.

Now, we wonder, where will Japan go now?  What will these people try to do again, to maintain a power position in the world, in the face of a old adversary (china) becoming Asia's darlings?

Stay tuned...

IrishGeisha

• Sr. Citizen
  • BA Cornell, MA Sacred Heart, Pepperdine Law in Aug
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AdoptAPitbull
    • View Profile
    • Irish Geisha's Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 01:52:15 PM »
JeffJoe -- I have invested so much of myself in this relationship that I don't even know what to do with myself.  I honestly love him and I thought I would spend my life with him.  There are many things I adore about him, like his sense of humor.  There are many things that give me pause --

I'm stuck in a place right now where I love this man but so much of our time is spent fighting and feeling sad.  When it is good, it is so very good.  When it is bad, it is the worst.  And the good outweighs the bad.

My choice is to give up on things I feel strongly about (his somewhat inappropriate behavior with other women -- flirting with his ex and other *&^%...) and not fight him or continue to argue with him when, as he said last night, "you are fed up with me and I can't take the fighting anymore.  You're not going to change and I am not going to change..."

So I guess at some point, you look at the relationship and say, I've invested a lot of time, heart, resources in to this.  He makes me laugh.  The sex is phenomenal ... but maybe it just isn't meant to be.

And now I need to go to the bathroom and cry cause this totally sucks.  But I appreciate the place to vent.  Thanks.
"I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself." - Michel Eyquem

thechoson

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 01:53:16 PM »

Lean on me...
When you aren't strong I'll be your friend, I 'll help you carry on....

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 01:55:03 PM »
for...it wont be long...
til im gonna need..somebody to LEAN on~~

*C'MON SING WIT ME~~~~*
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jgruber

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2004, 01:55:24 PM »
If he isn't willing to address his faults, then he's not ready for a permanent relationship.  I"m not suggesting he should change just to please you.  We should be true to who we are, but he should be willing to discuss his shortcomings and consider changing those things that are harmful to the relationship.  And vice versa.

If that's not possible, have a good cry and move on.

thechoson

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2004, 01:57:19 PM »
for...it wont be long...
til im gonna need..somebody to LEAN on~~

*C'MON SING WIT ME~~~~*

this post fits your avatar so very well.

Soju, drink of champions.

Do you like Macgurli?

Ginatio

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2004, 01:58:48 PM »
I'll bet. "P.I.M.P."  ;)

Lean on me...

thechoson

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2004, 02:03:33 PM »
I'll bet. "P.I.M.P."  ;)

Lean on me...

I am a mother f-ing PIMP