Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WTF? "Mother Cited for Breast Feeding"  (Read 2572 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: WTF? "Mother Cited for Breast Feeding"
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »
http://www.slate.com/id/2177681/

The Breast and the BrightestDoes nursing really affect your kid's IQ?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

lauralaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 11:03:50 PM »
breasts have been sexualized and that prevents people from seeing what their true function is:
TO FEED BABIES.

breast feeding is the most natural and healthy thing you can do for your baby. it is NOT a sexual act.  there is much research concerned with the benefits of breastfeeding - from natural immunities to normal emotional development to just plain old GOOD HEALTH.

i hope that one day i get to work on legislation to protect breastfeeding in public and to allow women more leniency for breast pumping at work and on planes (of course not in front of others - that IS asking a bit much! but there are many times when women are not allowed to take breast milk on planes etc.)

the comparison to cell phones is hardly relevant.  the cell phone user has a choice to take a call and at what volume their voice will be.  a hungry child is more likely to make noise when it's hungry than when it's being fed. further, you can LOOK AWAY if you just can't bear to see a baby nursing. i don't know if you've seen it, but it's about the LEAST sexual thing you can do with a boob.  seriously people, it's a big jiggly milk factory.  nothing to do with sexy.

lauralaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 11:37:18 PM »
word.

my best friend is a breast feeding mother and she has put up with some absurd flack.