Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: POSNER'S RANKINGS  (Read 1297 times)

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
POSNER'S RANKINGS
« on: July 29, 2005, 01:42:13 PM »

Not very different from US news, but accounts for the problems with USnews by having a more accurate take on the rankings.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=703821

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: POSNER'S RANKINGS
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 01:55:10 PM »
Thanks for posting this!

jwilcox1024

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 02:11:45 PM »
I think the most useful thing in Posner's paper is his statement that rankings should be used to figure out what tier you are aiming for, and that using them for anything else is assigning them a precision they do not have.

For purposes of this I am assuming there are 5 tiers: Top 15 or so schools, rest of tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, and tier 4. HYS could be its own tier if you are shooting for the stars (Supreme Court Clerkship, job at Vault top 3 firm, etc.), but probably isn't distinctive in the average case.
Goal: Penn, NYU, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago
Pad Save: Columbia
Glove Save: Stanford

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jwilcox1024

neuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 02:32:16 PM »
I think Posner's rankings should be taken just as lightly as USnews' rankings. Rankings should be a very background piece of information, upon which you decide where you want to go.

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 03:38:56 AM »
I think the most useful thing in Posner's paper is his statement that rankings should be used to figure out what tier you are aiming for, and that using them for anything else is assigning them a precision they do not have.

For purposes of this I am assuming there are 5 tiers: Top 15 or so schools, rest of tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, and tier 4. HYS could be its own tier if you are shooting for the stars (Supreme Court Clerkship, job at Vault top 3 firm, etc.), but probably isn't distinctive in the average case.

The only problem with this is that schools at the borders of the tiers aren't much different either.  For example, both Tulane and American, though often ranked in the second tier, are certainly better for getting top jobs than many schools near the top of the 1st tier. 
T25 or bust

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 04:00:54 AM »
The USNWR ranking system works. You all are tools.

jwilcox1024

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 10:00:44 AM »

The only problem with this is that schools at the borders of the tiers aren't much different either.  For example, both Tulane and American, though often ranked in the second tier, are certainly better for getting top jobs than many schools near the top of the 1st tier. 

Sure, and if you are a person who has numbers that split across tiers you obviously need to take that into account. No system is going to be perfect. I still think it is helpful to look at rankings as a guide for the range of schools you should be looking at (#30-50, or #80-100, etc.) rather than how they are abused on LSD. The soft factors for schools between #25-#33 should outweigh the minor rankings difference. I just do not believe USNWR has the precision to hairsplit between schools. (like does a 4.1 vs. a 4.3 peer score really tell you something valuable? On LSD, yes, but for the rest of the world probably not.)
Goal: Penn, NYU, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago
Pad Save: Columbia
Glove Save: Stanford

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jwilcox1024

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »
The USNWR ranking system works. You all are tools.

One thing I like about USNews is how you can click on each area (rep, LSAT, etc.) and get a different ranking of the schools. 

(At least you used to be able to.  Don't know if you still can.)

I think the info collected by USnews is all helpful.  (LSAT medians, reputation, placment.)  The main problem is that it's imperfectly collected, especially in the area of placement.  (More focus needs to be placed on the last factor, which is really the most important ones.)  Also, of course, the weighting given each factor is arbitrary, which is why I like to be able to adjust the rankings accordingly. 

But USNews is one nice shapshot of schools, as are the Posner rankings, the Leiter rankings, etc.  You just shouldn't assume a 35-50 school is necessarily better than American or Tulane just because it's a few spots higher, or even a "tier" higher. 
T25 or bust