Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advise on negotiating more scholarship $$$  (Read 2750 times)

RedZone

• View Profile
    • Email
Advise on negotiating more scholarship $$$
« on: July 28, 2005, 03:06:29 PM »

Deleted by poster

mrdot

Re: Advise on negotiating more scholarship $$$
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 07:30:54 PM »
I initially did not get any money from the school I will be attending, though since it was my top choice (from among the schools I was admitted to), I decided to go there regardless. I emailed the dean telling him the reasons why it was my top choice and that I was attending regardless of cost, but further explained to him that it was going to cost me at least 50K more to go there over other similar ranked schools. Much to my astonishment, I recieved in the mail about a week later a 17K scholarship. Just be honest with people and tell them the facts. You might get some more money out of it.

NathanB

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 08:54:30 AM »
I have found that curling into a fetal position in the Financial Aid Office's lobby floor and screaming "RAPE!  RAPE!" is very effective.

mrdot

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 09:59:17 PM »
I asked to be reconsidered for any scholarship opportunities. My numbers were average for my school, but maybe they took my engineering degree into account? The big cost difference was due to Private/California vs. Public/Arizona. I didn't get a scholarship from the other school either. Hope this helps!

kristay

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 11:33:28 PM »
I withdrew from 2 schools and was subsequently offered more $ from them.  Sadly, this did not work with Fordham.

pugilist

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 09:27:07 PM »
Does anyone know if US Schools offer scholarship money for Canadian students?

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 09:52:13 AM »
If they want you bad enough, they are not too concerned with where you are from.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 11:02:09 AM »
I recieved scholarship offers from two schools, but I made no decision. I was waiting for a response from my stretch school by the time I recieved a rejection letter from them one of the other schools had increased their scholarship offer and I accepted it.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

Lawyerr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 11:32:21 PM »
A prof of mine told me to "treat it like youre buying a car." Go in there waving around better deals. Potential students like to idealize things, but the fact is, law schools are a business. Fortunately, they also want good students. If you happen to be one, realize that you have something they want, and do whatever you can to make them pay for it. Theyre doing the same thing to you.
I'd rather model harmonica holders - Bob Dylan

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 09:30:50 AM »
A prof of mine told me to "treat it like youre buying a car." Go in there waving around better deals. Potential students like to idealize things, but the fact is, law schools are a business. Fortunately, they also want good students. If you happen to be one, realize that you have something they want, and do whatever you can to make them pay for it. Theyre doing the same thing to you.

This is going to be interesting.  How do you communicate during these negotiations - e-mail? Phone?  Mail?  Guess I'll get my ducks in a row, hope like h*ll I get some scholarship offers to begin with, and go from there.  But I seriously doubt that NYU cares what Univ of Arizona is going to give me. 

Now, if NYU would be so generous and offer me admittance with money...

a girl can dream, can't she?

Usually it's best to negotiate with schools by comparing like schools that offered you money.  But showing how much more it would cost you to go somewhere can't hurt.  All they can do is say "no."