Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What the heck do I say to this freak?  (Read 3358 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: What the heck do I say to this freak?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 01:15:32 PM »
A lot of the bad seeds I have known were innocent looking blondes.
I had a blonde friend who would just shoplift like crazy and no one ever suspected her of squat.
And my blonde ex-boyfriend was always up to something illegal or immoral, and the cops rarely bothered him. He used to joke that he kept his black friend around him so that if the cops came, they would find the drugs on the black guy (in retrospect, that wasn't funny  >:()
Nonetheless, stereotypes persist ...
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

BigMix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 01:17:26 PM »
fully agree there Legalassie. words can cut like a knife. saying something stupid, ignorant and obnoxious can put a damper on a whole day for someone in addition to the countless other effects.

LegalLassie

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 01:19:40 PM »
My mother is blonde and so is one of my best friends, and they are both wonderful people.  But most blondes I have known were not...So, I guess I am guilty of stereotyping people too. 

DodgerLaw

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2005, 01:21:35 PM »
My mother is blonde and so is one of my best friends, and they are both wonderful people.  But most blondes I have known were not...So, I guess I am guilty of stereotyping people too. 

You blondist b!tch.  ;)

LegalLassie

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 01:22:48 PM »

You blondist b!tch.  ;)

Guilty!  Oh, i forgot Court!  She is a good blonde.  Still, I prefer people with pigment.  Sorry!

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2005, 01:23:32 PM »
Royal ... Lassie doesn't hate blondes "some of her best friend are blondes."  ;)

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2005, 01:24:29 PM »
My sister used the N-word around my daughter several years ago when she was just a toddler.  I told her, "Look, we don't talk like that at my house.  Furthermore, if my kid repeats what you said and I get pulled into my commander's office (we're AF), I will personally kick your @ss."  That was 10 years ago and she hasn't used it in front of me since.  Sometimes you just have to call people on their bad behavior.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

LegalLassie

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2005, 01:36:37 PM »
Royal ... Lassie doesn't hate blondes "some of her best friend are blondes."  ;)

Yes!  That's right.  I forgot that is what I am suppose to say: "I am not a blondist.  Some of my best friends are blondes!"  :D

LegalLassie

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2005, 01:40:33 PM »
My sister used the N-word around my daughter several years ago when she was just a toddler.  I told her, "Look, we don't talk like that at my house.  Furthermore, if my kid repeats what you said and I get pulled into my commander's office (we're AF), I will personally kick your @ss."  That was 10 years ago and she hasn't used it in front of me since.  Sometimes you just have to call people on their bad behavior.

Things like this are crummy to have to deal with.  It is hard because I am very on board with freedom of speech and don't believe that anyone has a right to censor someone else, but at the same time words have such a huge capacity to hurt people and make people feel alienated.  I am 30 and I can still remember things people said to me when I was in elementary school that made me feel like I was not part of the group, like I was different in a bad way.  This is why I think a lot of negative stereotyping sh_t should not be tolerated and when people say it you have to get right in there face about it.  Good job Twarga!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2005, 01:52:34 PM »
You know what it really is?  I really felt helpless already from the break in, and even more so when I realized that there is not only theft in my 'hood, but this weirdo who probably is thinking some of my friends are criminals just because of how they look. 

I felt like I should be able to do/say something to get hi to understand that he was offending me, but I failed miserably. 

Maybe what I should do is have another "neighborhood trash clean up day" and only invite those I know who are: dreadlocked hippies, black, hispanic, asian or are in any way different from whitey over there.  While he is outside staring at all of them, I will bust into his house, take his TV and DVD player, sell them and donate the money to the NAACP!  That would get him!   (just kidding of course, but it's nice to fantasize about)