Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DNA test for bigfoot...  (Read 3188 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: DNA test for bigfoot...
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2005, 10:16:05 AM »
That picture is from the Patterson film, which everyone now knows to be a hoax.

Science can neither, at this time, prove or disprove the existence of Bigfoot.  This is the "fairy" argument- science cannot prove that fairies don't exist.  They can look and say they're not there but that does not preclude existence.

There have been countless hair samples taken from sites where the DNA is primate but unknown.  This means, expressly, that there is an undiscovered species of primate.  Billy Redneck and Tom Hoaxer can't whip up a batch of fake DNA using a whiskey still.

Second, the dermal ridges and anatomical specificity of the casts have convinced renowned experts in various scientific fields.

My belief is Bigfoot is more substantiated than your non-belief in him.  I have evidence to support my claims, whereas you only have a lack of evidence.

who's claiming to be expert?  but hey, what are your qualifications there, science-boy?  where are those documents we asked about?  come on, learn us.

you probably not believe in evolution, either.  one of julie's favorite creationist arguments:  science can't explain everything.  yours here is pretty close to it:  julie can't prove bigfoot not exist.  julie freely admits this, and even will save you some time and admit same as to unicorns.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2005, 10:17:33 AM »
Explain this.

julie's hunch that someone made money by selling this fake picture to marks like you.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2005, 10:18:44 AM »
Julie, the debate hinges on this: who is more qualified to comment on the existence of Bigfoot, you or Jane Goodall.  I don't care if Jane Goodall spent the last five years doodling or perfecting stir fried rice, she's still more qualified than you are.

This is the problem with always using an argument by appeal to authority. You can read here: http://www.csicop.org/sb/9606/crop_circle.html - where a biophysicist (Levengood) attempts to create hypotheses to explain crop circle phenomenon. He was certainly qualified and still he is dabbling in pseudoscience despite the fact of CSICOP refuting his claims and having Doug Bowers and Dave Chorley explain that they were the hoaxers on some of the crop circles that he stuided.

There is a great disparity between a biophysicist discussing crop circles (that are known hoaxes) and arguably the world's greatest primatologist commenting on the existence of an undiscovered hominid.

All science, at one point or another, was "psuedo-science", until it could be proven.

and, again, exactly where can j.g.'s research on this be found?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2005, 10:19:41 AM »
Explain this.

this one at least as convincing as your others.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2005, 10:20:59 AM »
You're referencing a website called the "Skeptical Inquirer". Do you think they might have a bias. Aren't biases generally disastrous when it comes to scientific research? Aren't safeguards put in place to discourage bias.

Do you think perhaps that your little website might make money by being skeptical of anything and everything?

what was that citation to j.g.'s research again?  julie must've missed it.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2005, 10:22:28 AM »

Extraordinary claims require extraodinary evidence.

not for him.

judic

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excuse the popped collar. I was drunk.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - a3n1gm4
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2005, 10:24:46 AM »

Extraordinary claims require extraodinary evidence.

not for him.

Exactly why I dubbed him with terms such as "egregiously guillible" and "child-like credulity."

Here's an excellent book that I just finished reading by one of the founders of CSICOP - Carl Sagan: Demon Haunted World

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345409469/qid=1122560650/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_sbs_1/104-8143193-4576725?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2005, 10:27:40 AM »
http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/newsletter/01_05.php

While the top half of the website is biased, the bottom half concerning the interview with Meldrum is very objective and scientific.  He very calmly and quietly gives reason after reason why he thinks Bigfoot exists.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

LaneSwerver

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2005, 10:28:06 AM »

LaneSwerver

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2005, 10:28:59 AM »