Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.  (Read 16763 times)

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2005, 10:29:06 AM »
"I ain't be got no weapon.  I ain't d'fraid of you!"

That was my favorite line in Hollywood Shuffle!!! :D :D
Think before you speak.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2005, 10:30:06 AM »
That's an excellent point, Faith.

This is hilarious. I hear America singing, do you spend alot of time in predominately black settings that are socio-economically diverse? If you do not, then you probably wouldn't hear your black friends speak in Ebonics, or even use slang. The two terms are not synonymous. Ebonics, as Claire pointed out, refers to a type of English dialect that developed combining West African linguistic patterns with English vocabulary. For example, in Ebonics, the to be verb is conjugated differently and there is linguistic research that shows this is traceable to the fact that certain W. African languages conjugated the to be verb in this pattern. (I be going...). Slang is something that is more related to generation and place. So my Grandparents have different slang than I do. In either case, trust me when I say that most black people would not speak in slang or Ebonics around anyone they weren't totally comfortable around, for fear of being judged. Funny how, thats exactly what you did when you wrote "you're already doing plenty to hold down your own race." These types of judgements and misunderstandings are the reason why your black doctor friend will never speak around you the way that he speaks to his family when you're not around. You and others might think he's less of an intellectual. hth

Both "cannot" and "can not" are acceptable; I'd suggest a quick Google before you try to be condescending.

There is no such thing as "Black English."  It is more realistic to say that slang originates from economic divides.  The rich upper-class black doctor will probably speak better English than the poor white boy on welfare, and vice versa.

It's about money, not color.

WoW, you are so wrong. A black doctor will not speak slang in the office, but at the family BBQ he will. It is definitely a race and culture thing. Economics might affect the ability for you to be able to speak both slang dialect and the kings English, but black professionals do have a life outside of being professional and sure don't go around making their subjects and verbs agree in a non-professional setting. That’s called being “buggie” or bourgeoisie in the kings English and is frowned upon in our community.

Wow.  You can call off the KKK, because you're already doing plenty to hold down your own race.  You actually think that every rich black doctor uses slang when he is out with his other rich black friends?  You're delusional.  I don't believe you can honestly say that your "community" frowns upon those who choose to use correct grammar in every situation.  I can imagine someone choosing to do so, but being ostracized for not might be the most backwards thing I have ever heard of.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2005, 10:32:02 AM »
Cannot or Can Not?
According to Merriam Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, "Both spellings are acceptable, but cannot is more frequent in current use. Chambers 1985 insists that cannot must be used in British English unless the not is to receive particular emphasis. A couple of American sources (Oxford American Dictionary 1980, Trimble 1975) mention that the two-word form can be used to indicate special emphasis.... "Can you jump? I can not, says the sergeant" (219).

Are you arguing that OP was trying to indicate special emphasis?  Because according to this source, "can not" is acceptable but is not the most appropriate choice here.

Did you read the passage, or just infer your own meaning into the text?

"Both spellings are acceptable, but cannot is more frequent in current use."

Everything that follows is a caveat that doesn't have to apply or a corollary that isn't applicable.

I cannot believe you don't understand this concept.

I can not believe you don't understand this concept.

I'm tired of debating "can not" with you.  Let's just see how smart everyone thinks you and the OP are for using it.  As for me and my house, we'll be using "cannot." :P

Funny that this seems to be a clever decoy for avoiding addressing the larger issue - "Black English", whether it exists, and whether it is socioeconomic, ethnic, or a combination of the two.  Just admit that you were handily PWN3D on this point, and crawl on back to lurkerdom.

Your tired of debating "can not" because I won.  I'd be tired if I got beat, too.

"Ebonics" doesn't exist as a race-based language.  A white person raised in a family that speaks Ebonics will learn to speak as they do.  It's cultural- the fact that most of the time the culture is predominately one race is incidental and curious, not indicative of a marker for the dialect.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2005, 10:32:33 AM »
 :'( no one gave me credit for my example :'(  :D

This is hilarious. I hear America singing, do you spend alot of time in predominately black settings that are socio-economically diverse? If you do not, then you probably wouldn't hear your black friends speak in Ebonics, or even use slang. The two terms are not synonymous. Ebonics, as Claire pointed out, refers to a type of English dialect that developed combining West African linguistic patterns with English vocabulary. For example, in Ebonics, the to be verb is conjugated differently and there is linguistic research that shows this is traceable to the fact that certain W. African languages conjugated the to be verb in this pattern. (I be going...). Slang is something that is more related to generation and place. So my Grandparents have different slang than I do. In either case, trust me when I say that most black people would not speak in slang or Ebonics around anyone they weren't totally comfortable around, for fear of being judged. Funny how, thats exactly what you did when you wrote "you're already doing plenty to hold down your own race." These types of judgements and misunderstandings are the reason why your black doctor friend will never speak around you the way that he speaks to his family when you're not around. You and others might think he's less of an intellectual. hth

Both "cannot" and "can not" are acceptable; I'd suggest a quick Google before you try to be condescending.

There is no such thing as "Black English."  It is more realistic to say that slang originates from economic divides.  The rich upper-class black doctor will probably speak better English than the poor white boy on welfare, and vice versa.

It's about money, not color.

WoW, you are so wrong. A black doctor will not speak slang in the office, but at the family BBQ he will. It is definitely a race and culture thing. Economics might affect the ability for you to be able to speak both slang dialect and the kings English, but black professionals do have a life outside of being professional and sure don't go around making their subjects and verbs agree in a non-professional setting. That’s called being “buggie” or bourgeoisie in the kings English and is frowned upon in our community.

Wow.  You can call off the KKK, because you're already doing plenty to hold down your own race.  You actually think that every rich black doctor uses slang when he is out with his other rich black friends?  You're delusional.  I don't believe you can honestly say that your "community" frowns upon those who choose to use correct grammar in every situation.  I can imagine someone choosing to do so, but being ostracized for not might be the most backwards thing I have ever heard of.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

YoungIke

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »
Ok case and point

As for me and my house, we'll be using "cannot."  

This statement used by the young lady is a slang term. Though not bad English it is a term passed down from our Parents that has a cultural undertone. It is actually scripture, but most black mothers used this statement on a daily basis to assert that they are speaking for more than themselves, whether it be their, family, friends, or entire race. (Just put an example of slag as opposed to Ebonics which is a different matter explain by Faith and should be used sparingly and only to emphasize a cultural connection in which the receiving party knows what you are talking about and knows you are using it on purpose. If used as a part of regular speech, it should be and usually is corrected.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2005, 10:39:26 AM »
faith2005:

Do you actually believe that every single African-American in the United States uses slang when they are around other African-Americans?  This is absurd on its face.  Surely there are some exceptions.  Are they as "black" as you are, or have they "sold out?"  For speaking the "white" way, do you ostracize them from your group?

And what about the small percentage of white people who have adopted Ebonics?  Doesn't this mean that Ebonics is not a race-based form of communication?  If a white person tries to speak in Ebonics, is he struck by lightning or does he just turn black?

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2005, 10:41:58 AM »
Your tired of debating "can not" because I won.  I'd be tired if I got beat, too.

"Ebonics" doesn't exist as a race-based language.  A white person raised in a family that speaks Ebonics will learn to speak as they do.  It's cultural- the fact that most of the time the culture is predominately one race is incidental and curious, not indicative of a marker for the dialect.

"Your" or "You're"?  Hmmm...again, verrry interesting.

I'm not going to continue debating "can not" with you because it's stupid and I have work to do.  You can debate spaces between two N's with someone else.  You can do that stuff at your law school.

You'll notice, if you read my posts, that I never said "Ebonics" is racial.  That's because race is a myth.  I said it was ethnically-based, and I stand behind that point.  If you raised a Black child in a Spanish-speaking family, the child would learn to speak Spanish.  That doesn't eliminate the language's ethnic and cultural significance.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2005, 10:45:09 AM »
YO YO YO, whats the deallio up in this piece man. Is be slamining cakes and ish trying to get this law school thang going on.

YO T14 if yous bothers to read the board, yo know there is loads of information in this piece. Stick around brotha cuz there bes a lots to learn YO.

Hit me up if you need my assistance yo. I can give you the run down on how this female dog works.

PEACE!

(I'm a fool... Please don't delete this)
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2005, 10:46:02 AM »
Your tired of debating "can not" because I won.  I'd be tired if I got beat, too.

"Ebonics" doesn't exist as a race-based language.  A white person raised in a family that speaks Ebonics will learn to speak as they do.  It's cultural- the fact that most of the time the culture is predominately one race is incidental and curious, not indicative of a marker for the dialect.

"Your" or "You're"?  Hmmm...again, verrry interesting.

I'm not going to continue debating "can not" with you because it's stupid and I have work to do.  You can debate spaces between two N's with someone else.  You can do that stuff at your law school.

You'll notice, if you read my posts, that I never said "Ebonics" is racial.  That's because race is a myth.  I said it was ethnically-based, and I stand behind that point.  If you raised a Black child in a Spanish-speaking family, the child would learn to speak Spanish.  That doesn't eliminate the language's ethnic and cultural significance.

verrry?

We can nitpick idiosyncracies and typos all day, that's not the point.  I won the debate about "can not"; you can lie to yourself if you want.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2005, 10:49:08 AM »
You are silly Regal!! 

I am going to do all of my writing at HUSL in Ebonics.  Apparently they don't speak English there and won't understand me if I speak or write properly.

Thanks for the heads-up T14!!! ;)

YO YO YO, whats the deallio up in this piece man. Is be slamining cakes and ish trying to get this law school thang going on.

YO T14 if yous bothers to read the board, yo know there is loads of information in this piece. Stick around brotha cuz there bes a lots to learn YO.

Hit me up if you need my assistance yo. I can give you the run down on how this female dog works.

PEACE!

(I'm a fool... Please don't delete this)
Think before you speak.