Law School Discussion

Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.

Re: Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2005, 10:12:12 AM »
she really should :D .. there's a comedy club on I street called teddy's lol

Roxie you should take your show on the road...lol

I was found mentally incompetent a long time ago.  I carry the papers from my Dr. around with me just in case I do something wrong.  So, when I mens rea some lipgloss into my bag at CVS, they'll know that I couldn't help it.

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2005, 10:13:09 AM »
Been there, done that.  Living out of a suitcase is not cool....no matter how many mens rea you actus rea with. ;)

This mens rea stuff is FUN!!
 :D :D
Roxie you should take your show on the road...lol

I was found mentally incompetent a long time ago.  I carry the papers from my Dr. around with me just in case I do something wrong.  So, when I mens rea some lipgloss into my bag at CVS, they'll know that I couldn't help it.

YoungIke

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2005, 10:16:43 AM »
Thanks I feel like you just made 1L that much easier

Roxie you're a mess :D :D :D

Ike .. i typically let the 1Ls (now 2Ls) answer these questions as they find great joy and glee in doing so :D

actus reus ;) means guilty act..(simply put guilty conduct.. the act of committing a crime)... so yes actus reus would be present as a crime was in fact committed...

mens rea is simply the intent....

the two go hand and hand..

the Prosecutor has to show that the Defendant possessed the mens rea at the time the actus reus was committed

for example...if a person is found mentally incompetent they can't be held accountable to mens rea as they're lacking the mental capacity for full understanding of their actions..

So there for, correct me if I'm wrong, If I were to kill you but did not plan to do it as in manslaughter mens rea would not be present, however actus rea would?

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2005, 03:17:52 PM »

"Ebonics" doesn't exist as a race-based language.  A white person raised in a family that speaks Ebonics will learn to speak as they do.  It's cultural- the fact that most of the time the culture is predominately one race is incidental and curious, not indicative of a marker for the dialect.

you are absolutely incorrect!!!  Ebonics comes from the rules of grammar from the Niger-Congo(West Africa) Langauges using a english vocabulary.  For example multiple negation  In the language systems of West Afrikka the use of more than one negative emphasized the importance of what the speaker is saying (I don't have no more money).  According to the grammar rules of mainstream English that would be considered incorrect.  That just one example of West Afrikkan languages infused with English vocabulary.  Habitual be,  absence of the th consonant clusters..... the list goes on, and on, and on.....

faith2005

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2005, 03:29:53 PM »
yes yes, as you can see from the rest of the thread, we tried to told him. but he left and didn't respond. ah well.

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2005, 03:32:42 PM »

yes yes, as you can see from the rest of the thread, we tried to told him. but he left and didn't respond. ah well.

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2005, 04:12:36 PM »

I don't know if this was meant to be brilliant, but it is! :)

Oh, Faith, he probably realized how little he knew about a subject that he thought he was up on.

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2005, 05:01:25 PM »
Well I'm no expert on why people speak the way they do but ...
I don't know how to speak slang -- so there is definitely something to America Singing's environmental argument.

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2005, 07:37:44 PM »
When did people start saying 'get er done?' Because no one ever said it when I was at home, but as of late, I've seen this sh*t on tshirts and websites and everything. Where did this come from?

The Redneck Comedy tour.  I don't know the name of the one guy, but that's his tag line.

Made4law

• "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2005, 11:10:44 PM »
When did people start saying 'get er done?' Because no one ever said it when I was at home, but as of late, I've seen this sh*t on tshirts and websites and everything. Where did this come from?

The Redneck Comedy tour.  I don't know the name of the one guy, but that's his tag line.

His stage name is "Larry the Cable Guy" and he is a pretty funny guy...even if you don't like red-neck humor.  His comedy albums are some of the funniest material I've heard in a long time...He is supposed to have a movie coming out soon...