Law School Discussion

Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.

YoungIke

Re: Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2005, 08:12:19 AM »
Damn - I was hoping to sit next to you in Torts!!! :D :D

I would not attend such a law school, for the same reasons I wouldn't attend one where the students walked up and said "Get 'r Done."  It's not professional, and in a career where words have to be precise, it's bad practice to let our verbal prowess turn lax.

You don't have the mens rea to keep up with me.

WoW are we using legal terms out of context. I have the  mens rea to come over there and slap you for that one, but because I don't know where you are actus rea will not be posible  :D (j/k on slapping you just an example)

faith2005

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2005, 08:12:57 AM »
I saw your example blk. thats what i was trying to explain in my post. things like "gwan an quit dat noise" are ebonics. things like "whats the deal yo?" are slang. and slang is specific to a place and a generation. of course I wouldn't say to my black professor "What's the deal yo?" Other than it being in an academic setting, he wouldn't understand it because he is probably not apart of my generation. but I went to a good school for undergrad, and i heard black professors speak in slang around me. it just depends on the situation and the context. outside of class I had good relationships with some of my professors and I could speak to them in slang, and even teach them new slang phrases.  :D

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2005, 08:14:22 AM »
i'll try again ;)

"Black English" = Vernacular... Dialect

When Malindy Sings by Paul Laurence Dunbar

G'way an' quit dat noise, Miss LucyŚ
Put dat music book away;
What's de use to keep on tryin'?
Ef you practise twell you're gray...

You ain't got de nachel o'gans
Fu' to make de soun' come right,
You ain't got de tu'ns an' twistin's
Fu' to make it sweet an' light....

Easy 'nough fu' folk to hollah,
Lookin' at de lines an' dots,
When dey ain't no one kin sence it,
An' de chune comes in, in spots

ha ha, you are one persistent woman.  You know if I read that aloud it sounds like Caribbean dialect.

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2005, 08:16:30 AM »
i love watching pre-laws attempt to use latin legal terms improperly..

you do realize that's a term used in criminal law cases correct? :D

he's saying that you're reckless and are lacking mental capacity Roxie.. i wouldn't take that if i were u ;)

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2005, 08:19:50 AM »
I knew what he was saying.  It is true.  I am totally reckless and have absolutely no mental capacity.  That is why I am going to Howard where they don't speak english.  I will fit right in.

he's saying that you're reckless and are lacking mental capacity Roxie.. i wouldn't take that if i were u ;)

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2005, 08:21:04 AM »
hilarious

I knew what he was saying.  It is true.  I am totally reckless and have absolutely no mental capacity.  That is why I am going to Howard where they don't speak english.  I will fit right in.

YoungIke

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2005, 08:21:16 AM »

My bad I thought it was in context of torts. Time for me to get ahead of the game. Blk in torts is not mens rea the actual intent to do something in order to establish liability?  :) I love having legal scholars sround :)

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2005, 08:24:11 AM »
mens rea simply means guilty mind

YoungIke

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2005, 08:28:57 AM »

So there for, correct me if I'm wrong, If I were to kill you but did not plan to do it as in manslaughter mens rea would not be present, however actus rea would?

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2005, 08:31:12 AM »
Is this correct usage of legal terms??

Girl, I went to the club friday night and there was plenty of mens rea up in there.  But they was actus rea all fake and stuff, so I ain't have time for that MESS! Me and my homegirls left!

So there for, correct me if I'm wrong, If I were to kill you but did not plan to do it as in manslaughter mens rea would not be present, however actus rea would?