Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.  (Read 16406 times)

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2005, 11:01:37 AM »
I'll give five bucks to any one who walks up to their black law school professor after class and says, "Yo Yo Yo what's the deallio in this piece man?"

If Faith2005 is correct, they will respond in kind without blinking an eye, or at the very least, revert to Ebonics.

Your example isn't Ebonics.  It's slang.  There's a difference that has been pointed out numerous times by myself and other posters.  It's called reading - who cares what grammatical structure you use if you're saying nothing?

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2005, 11:01:58 AM »
Damn - I was hoping to sit next to you in Torts!!! :D :D

I would not attend such a law school, for the same reasons I wouldn't attend one where the students walked up and said "Get 'r Done."  It's not professional, and in a career where words have to be precise, it's bad practice to let our verbal prowess turn lax.

You don't have the mens rea to keep up with me.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2005, 11:02:02 AM »
Wuh the rangate dis American singing man talking bout?  Tell him could take dem isms somewhere else.  He ain saying nutten.  Maybe our language is one mo ting that whitey can't control nuh more, dat's why he blue vex.

You know I had to break out some bajan.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

faith2005

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2005, 11:03:54 AM »
 :D awww, bp that reminds me of my (other) bajan friend. unfortunately i never knew what her and her cousin were talking about.  :-*

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2005, 11:04:30 AM »
I hear America..my friend there are people who talk like that to their professors.

8)

I would not attend such a law school, for the same reasons I wouldn't attend one where the students walked up and said "Get 'r Done."  It's not professional, and in a career where words have to be precise, it's bad practice to let our verbal prowess turn lax.

Whose verbal prowess is turning lax?  You must be no fun.  I'm glad you aren't attending my law school.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2005, 11:04:54 AM »
Well, the inability to properly construct a cohesive sentence is quite pathetic regardless of an individual's race or ethnicity. I grew up in the valley where "ghetto slang" wasn't common, but "mall talk", which the individual said "like" all the time, was prevalent. Carrying on a conversations with my white classmates became bothersome considering the fact that they couldn't go five minutes without saying "like" or "you know". There is a time and a place for certain types of speech. I think when an individual is around friends and family in an informal setting, they should feel free to converse how they wish. HOWEVER in a professional environment, proper language skills should always be utilized.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2005, 11:05:01 AM »
Wuh the rangate dis American singing man talking bout?  Tell him could take dem isms somewhere else.  He ain saying nutten.  Maybe our language is one mo ting that whitey can't control nuh more, dat's why he blue vex.

You know I had to break out some bajan.

Nice :)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2005, 11:05:11 AM »
i'll try again ;)

"Black English" = Vernacular... Dialect

When Malindy Sings by Paul Laurence Dunbar

G'way an' quit dat noise, Miss LucyŚ
Put dat music book away;
What's de use to keep on tryin'?
Ef you practise twell you're gray...

You ain't got de nachel o'gans
Fu' to make de soun' come right,
You ain't got de tu'ns an' twistin's
Fu' to make it sweet an' light....

Easy 'nough fu' folk to hollah,
Lookin' at de lines an' dots,
When dey ain't no one kin sence it,
An' de chune comes in, in spots
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2005, 11:06:47 AM »
I know that.  I wanted to peek on your paper and cheat on my exams.

Damn - I was hoping to sit next to you in Torts!!! :D :D

I would not attend such a law school, for the same reasons I wouldn't attend one where the students walked up and said "Get 'r Done."  It's not professional, and in a career where words have to be precise, it's bad practice to let our verbal prowess turn lax.

You don't have the mens rea to keep up with me.
Think before you speak.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2005, 11:09:53 AM »
Faith, good point about black people code-switching.  White folks generally can't grasp this concept.  They can pretty much be the same all day long, while blacks have to be chameleons in our dress, hairstyles, language etc.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006