Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.  (Read 16391 times)

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
Re: Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2005, 10:50:27 AM »
Your tired of debating "can not" because I won.  I'd be tired if I got beat, too.

"Ebonics" doesn't exist as a race-based language.  A white person raised in a family that speaks Ebonics will learn to speak as they do.  It's cultural- the fact that most of the time the culture is predominately one race is incidental and curious, not indicative of a marker for the dialect.

"Your" or "You're"?  Hmmm...again, verrry interesting.

I'm not going to continue debating "can not" with you because it's stupid and I have work to do.  You can debate spaces between two N's with someone else.  You can do that stuff at your law school.

You'll notice, if you read my posts, that I never said "Ebonics" is racial.  That's because race is a myth.  I said it was ethnically-based, and I stand behind that point.  If you raised a Black child in a Spanish-speaking family, the child would learn to speak Spanish.  That doesn't eliminate the language's ethnic and cultural significance.

verrry?

We can nitpick idiosyncracies and typos all day, that's not the point.  I won the debate about "can not"; you can lie to yourself if you want.

Leave him alone Claire, obviously this means a lot to him.  
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2005, 10:50:41 AM »
YO YO YO, whats the deallio up in this piece man. Is be slamining cakes and ish trying to get this law school thang going on.

YO T14 if yous bothers to read the board, yo know there is loads of information in this piece. Stick around brotha cuz there bes a lots to learn YO.

Hit me up if you need my assistance yo. I can give you the run down on how this female dog works.

PEACE!

(I'm a fool... Please don't delete this)

:D

Verrrrrrry funny!  You sho' nuff do trip a sista out!

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2005, 10:52:29 AM »
I'll give five bucks to any one who walks up to their black law school professor after class and says, "Yo Yo Yo what's the deallio in this piece man?"

If Faith2005 is correct, they will respond in kind without blinking an eye, or at the very least, revert to Ebonics.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

YoungIke

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2005, 10:53:14 AM »
YO YO YO, whats the deallio up in this piece man. Is be slamining cakes and ish trying to get this law school thang going on.

YO T14 if yous bothers to read the board, yo know there is loads of information in this piece. Stick around brotha cuz there bes a lots to learn YO.

Hit me up if you need my assistance yo. I can give you the run down on how this female dog works.

PEACE!

(I'm a fool... Please don't delete this)

See shorty steelo is different than mines cuz she doing the NY slang. See that southern flava got a more chill vibe. That southern drawl is the reason they do it screwed and chopped. But I'm with youngin, if you need more school Halla at cha Bizzle

On a serious not the white people issue has to do with the popularity of the main stream Hip Hop culture. Many artists have seen the dollar signs and have sold their soul to popularize Black stereotypes. This can get to a heated argument, but we in the educated black community call it cooning. Like step and fetch it type stuff. Not all rappers but some. Even when you listen to some though especially southern rappers you have to really listen or you can get caught up in the hype and popularity of the singles.    

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2005, 10:53:45 AM »
I hear America..my friend there are people who talk like that to their professors.

8)
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2005, 10:54:53 AM »
I plan to do this because they don't speak English at HBCUs.  I'll PM you my mailing address.   I will need my $5 for a Caramel Light Frappucino at Starbucks after a hard day of classes.

;) ;D :D

I'll give five bucks to any one who walks up to their black law school professor after class and says, "Yo Yo Yo what's the deallio in this piece man?"

If Faith2005 is correct, they will respond in kind without blinking an eye, or at the very least, revert to Ebonics.
Think before you speak.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2005, 10:55:52 AM »
AmericaSinging...Is you foo'?

I already TOLD you I see your point that "can not" is acceptable.  Can you read?  Read my second post on this thread.  No need to belabor the point.  As I told you earlier, "me and my house" will be using "cannot."  **Unless there is a need for special emphasis on the "not."** ;)

What you have not TOLD me is that you are incredibly ignorant about Black history, culture, and language.  You've brought up a multitude of crappy points on this thread - if all you "won" is the "cannot"/"can not" argument, you got problems dawg.  And that sho' nuff is da truth. :-*

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2005, 10:56:29 AM »
I hear America..my friend there are people who talk like that to their professors.

8)

I would not attend such a law school, for the same reasons I wouldn't attend one where the students walked up and said "Get 'r Done."  It's not professional, and in a career where words have to be precise, it's bad practice to let our verbal prowess turn lax.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2005, 10:57:35 AM »
Damn - I was hoping to sit next to you in Torts!!! :D :D

I would not attend such a law school, for the same reasons I wouldn't attend one where the students walked up and said "Get 'r Done."  It's not professional, and in a career where words have to be precise, it's bad practice to let our verbal prowess turn lax.
Think before you speak.

faith2005

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2005, 11:01:12 AM »
I have met a number of white people who speak in slang. I haven't met any that speak Ebonics. Do you truly understand the difference? Could you pick out someone speaking in Ebonics if you heard it? That doesn't say that they don't exist, but it is cultural. It is specific to descendants of slaves from the United States, most of whom came from the South. This group happens to be the majority of Black people in the United States. But, there are plenty of black people, who are culturally different (from the West Indies, from Africa, from the North and their ancestors were free) who do not speak Ebonics. I am sure that those white children who were adopted by black (descendants of American slaves) families do speak Ebonics. I don't know any, but I'm sure you do.

Where did I say that every single African American in the U.S. uses slang when they are around other African Americans? My post said, "In either case, trust me when I say that most black people would not speak in slang or Ebonics around anyone they weren't totally comfortable around, for fear of being judged." meaning that you, no matter how "cool" you are, would probably never hear it. I know black people that do look down on Ebonics and never use slang, even though they grew up around it. I say that they have a stick up their a$$ and usually don't associate with them. Its like if I am Jamaican and know patois, but when I'm in Jamaica, I only speak the King's English. I know people like that, but they're not ostracized for knowing the King's English, they're ostracized for not speaking the dialect of the people around them, even though they know it. Its like, if you know patois and everyone around you is speaking it, the only reason not to speak it is to differentiate yourself from those who are, which generally means that you think their way of speaking is "bad" or "less than." Most black people code-switch. There are some that don't because they aren't apart of the culture, and there are some that don't because they look down on that culture. There is a big difference to me.

Also, is there any need for you to be condescending? I am just as educated as the next person. I am going to law school as well. There is no need for you to ask things like "is he struck by lightning?" I never made any claims about the white people who speak Ebonics. I'd be happy to meet them personally, in order to study their linguistic patterns.