Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.  (Read 15828 times)

T14

• View Profile
    • Email
Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.
« on: July 27, 2005, 11:48:41 PM »
This is one of the many reasons that I didn't attend a predominately black college/university... this board is littered with people who can not even express themselves clearly without the use of slang.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Slang, Black English, Ghetto talk, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 11:52:42 PM »
Yeah, but most people use slang or colloquialisms of some sort, regardless of their race (but I admit that, in general, people from different racial/cultural/regional/ethnic backgrounds often use different slang than people of a different background might use).  What's your point, exactly?
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 11:55:33 PM »
s/he doesn't have a point...there have been many intellectual conversations on this board...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 11:57:57 PM »
This board is fairly representative of the general population of our nation. Hard to single out any ethnic or race-centered pattern of speech because the majority of our citizens cannot express themselves effectively.

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 12:00:34 AM »
This is one of the many reasons that I didn't attend a predominately black college/university... this board is littered with people who can not even express themselves clearly without the use of slang.

::) >:(

That's really offensive.  Where did this come from?  And just because ppl choose to write in certain ways on a message board doesn't mean they can't express themselves differently if they choose to do so.  

T14

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 12:01:01 AM »
I think that the board is great but when I click into the boards related to minority topics, it is sometimes demotivating to read.  I would like to see really structured conversations about the topic of law, how to get ourselves represented in the top schools and not settle for anything less, regardless of low gpa, etc.  It would be great to build a strong network of individuals whom we could bounce ideas off and to help assist with PS or even groups for LSAT preparation or even networking groups to tap into the best legal minds in field.  Or what about working on a project that is legal in nature and would give us a substantial edge when applying to law school.  Something meaningful...

Maybe its just too late, or I'm really tired...but I didn't mean to lash out.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 12:02:23 AM »
how long have you been on the board?? all of those things that you are requesting are already present...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 12:05:42 AM »
We went through all that last year.  This is a slow time for talking about law school apps.  Most of us are preparing to leave for law school in the next few weeks, and maybe we'd rather talk about something else right now.  We've talked about plenty of legal stuff, and we discussed applications ad nauseum, but we're all talked out now.  If you weren't a newbie, you'd know that.  I don't blame you for your lack of awareness, but please don't come on here with this type of attitude if you don't really know.

Anyway, sorry if I bit your head off a little before.  It's all love.  :) Your first post just came off incredibly harsh and judgemental.  

Fabyahluss

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 12:56:15 AM »
We went through all that last year.  This is a slow time for talking about law school apps.  Most of us are preparing to leave for law school in the next few weeks, and maybe we'd rather talk about something else right now.  We've talked about plenty of legal stuff, and we discussed applications ad nauseum, but we're all talked out now.  If you weren't a newbie, you'd know that.  I don't blame you for your lack of awareness, but please don't come on here with this type of attitude if you don't really know.

I do. I don't necessarily blame ignorant people who don't have access to information, but that doesn't apply to the OP...

OP, do you not see the many posts throughout BLSD? Seriously. For future reference, please read everything before you make unfounded assumptions and run with them. This will not only help you in law school, but life in general. As Cali said, the vast majority of regular posters on BLSD will either be a 1L or 2L in the fall. Hence, if you're looking for a flood of convos regarding ways to get into particular law schools, well, you're about a year too late. With that said, before you degrade an entire board of highly intelligent and very helpful individuals who would have been more than willing to answer your questions, use that handy little search button on the top of your screen to search for the info you desire.

Silly rabbit...

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 01:01:56 AM »
It would be great to build a strong network of individuals whom we could bounce ideas off and to help assist with PS or even groups for LSAT preparation or even networking groups to tap into the best legal minds in field.

Bad sentence.