Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fired from a job- does it hurt?  (Read 475 times)

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Fired from a job- does it hurt?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 07:03:19 PM »
It's a firm of brokers that sells fixed income bonds and equities over the phone. Basically a bunch of licensed brokers who call people up randomly and fast-talk them into buying bonds or stocks. To put it bluntly, cold-calling.

They hired me to train me for my Series 7- (licesne to sell stocks). After about three weeks, they concluded that I was too introverted and didn't talk fast enough over the phone to become a stockbroker. Tough job, lots of hazing.

It's for the best.  That's the last kind of stockbroker job you want.  The Series 7 is an expensive test.  They probably correctly identified you as not being a born salesman, or having ethics and character.  Many stockbrokers are unethical pump and dump artists who enrich themselves and lose their client's money.

Just say that you weren't cut out for what you felt was a high-pressure stockbroker's job that involved questionable investments.  You'll be fine.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 07:13:41 PM »
I think it was better that you left that place of employment.  From your description it sounded like a boilerroom type operation.  I would look worst if adcomms check your employment history and found that you were fined by market regulators for violating SEC rules.  This would be a quick flag on your ethics. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

makotosan

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey, I didn't know boys felt like this inside.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - simulatedasian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 07:22:10 PM »
I think it was better that you left that place of employment.  From your description it sounded like a boilerroom type operation.

I agree. Doesn't sound like my idea of a fun day. I tried cold-calling once, wasn't cut out for it either. Maybe it's because I hate the people who do it to me :P
Attending: Temple ($)
Accepted: Seton Hall (full $), St. John's (full $), Hofstra (full $), Lewis and Clark ($), Pitt ($)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=makotosan

http://excessivedicta.blogspot.com/