Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: my story  (Read 3129 times)

veggies

• go bears!
    • View Profile
my story
« on: June 16, 2004, 07:48:10 AM »
I completely freaked out!  Nothing was absorbing into my head, and my hand was shaking through the entire first section.  I normally finish LR with ease, but I didn't even do it this time!  Then the 2nd section was RC and it started with a science passage, which I hate...so this did not help AT ALL.  And my mind went blank while I read without understanding anything because i was too nervous.  I basically choked on the real day,  and cancelled my score.  I was scoring 165-166 before the real day...but got too nervous.  I want to keep studying to be able to confidently score 170+, but I also need to make sure I don't freak out on the real day.  I'm too inconsistent with RC, missing from 3 to 10 sometimes!  LG are another story.  I still haven't been able to finish 4 in 35 minutes.  My LR has improved a lot, and I can finish a section missing about 2-3 questions...5 when I'm tired.  If anyone has any advice or tips on how I can reach my goal or how I can ensure that I don't freak out again and choke, I would love to hear it!  Thanks a bunch.   ::)

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: my story
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 09:36:17 AM »
I choked too.......I felt nervous and anxious b/c of the following things..

I hadn't studied as much as I want....

Everyone else had fancy count-down timers and i just had a silly watch, and i noticed that immediately and felt unprepared...

i was too focused on keeping track of how many i got wrong and trying to remember questions so i could think of them later.

i didnt feel like "myself" during the exam at all......i'm still deciding whether to cancel and prepare more, or just find out what happens and retake it.

My best bet would be to ignore everyone as much as possible and focus on each question.  Science questions wig me out too and after reading through once and freaking out, I just skipped the entire thing altogether and moved on.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 10:10:55 AM »
Part of both of your problems is freaking out over science passages.  By doing so you hurt your score and play right into lsac's hands.  Why do you think they put them on there? 

There is absolutely no reason to freak about those.  You are most likely intelligent people and can read.  You don't have to fully understand the backgroud info behind each subject.  You can answer each and every question they throw at you just by looking at the passage.  You need no background or skill in science whatsoever.  Do you think those that get 175's are all biochemist-farmer-archeologists who've read extensively on all varieties of art history and social problems/progress?  No.  They just read the passages, use the info given, and ask the questions.

I suggest you both buy a hell of a lot of prep test and study for this thing right by practicing. Once you do 30 RC sections and see at least 30 science related passages, you'll discover that what I'm saying is 100% true.  If you don't learn how to not psych yourself out before even walking into the testing room, you'll have a very hard time succeeding on this test.

veggies

• go bears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 03:35:26 PM »
I totally feel you ButchCJG.  I was too distracted to do well.  I put way too much importance on the LSATS and came in with this do or die mentality, where I HAD to do well or my life was over.  That was definitely the wrong thing to do.  I think relaxation is key, and I'm glad I took the test in June because now I know what not to do in October.  8)

superiorlobe

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 03:41:57 PM »
I completely agree that you can't let the content of the passage psyche you out.  I used to feel my blood boil whenever I can across a passage along the lines of feminist literary criticism or something else leftist and esoteric like that.  Now I just read, answer, and move on.  You can't let the topic affect you at all.

Same thing with the Logical Reasoning, for that matter. If the argument is made by a "white supremecist" or is about evolution vs. creation, don't let yourself get biased.  Just look at the reasoning and assumptions and keep your heart rate down.  Also, never never never let your personal opinion on any matter whatsoever affect how you view the argument.

mrserious67502

• 167/3.83 "The Dude abides"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 07:16:25 PM »
One thing that I think really helped me was self-actualization.  This sounds retarded but for about a month before the test, every day I would sit down and verbally say that I was going to succeed on the test.  But I told myself exactly what I was going to do "ie: leave the parallel reasoning to the end, or skip the literature passage until the end."  I did this verbally for about 10 minutes each day and I did it again that morning.  I think that this helped a great deal to combat the anxiety that builds during those 30-40 minutes when the proctor is getting you ready to die. Just some thoughts.

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 07:38:36 PM »
ill tell you what i did.  i got an uneasy feeling in the pit of my gut and became very untalkative the day before the test.  then i was up most of the night not sleeping, freaking out that i had not slept and i had the biggest test of my life coming up, and experiencing anxious dreams with the little slwwp i managed.  then i woke up, felt god awful, made it to the test center sure i would have to cancel...

then i started the test.  first section was LR, i am pretty sure i got every one right, from there things just got better until the end of the last section when my brain was just giving up.  i have a lot of doomsday scenarios based on huge mistakes costing me entire games or misbubbled answers, but i think it is more likely then not that i will get a high score when i look at my performance objectively.  the point is, i think you can experience severe test anxiety and still do very well.  i think the adrenalin i had gave me a tremendous bump in my concentration for games in particular.

superiorlobe

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 10:40:23 PM »
Hmmmm.  Twice during the three days preceding the test I took a PrepTest and felt so good that I predicted my score at 179 and 176 respectively.  I ended up with a 171 and 169 respectively.  So now I feel less confidant when I think I have done well.  Basically what that says to me is that I overlooked something.  Its not an easy test, so if it feels easy then you're screwing up.

On the other hand, maybe not.

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 10:44:36 PM »
for starters lobe, i never said the test was easy. secondly, your test scores seem to drop a few points every few days, at the rate you are going i am expecting you to be scoring in the low 150s by october.  i take everything you say with a grain of salt.

Hmmmm.  Twice during the three days preceding the test I took a PrepTest and felt so good that I predicted my score at 179 and 176 respectively.  I ended up with a 171 and 169 respectively.  So now I feel less confidant when I think I have done well.  Basically what that says to me is that I overlooked something.  Its not an easy test, so if it feels easy then you're screwing up.

On the other hand, maybe not.

superiorlobe

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 10:49:40 PM »
for starters lobe, i never said the test was easy. secondly, your test scores seem to drop a few points every few days, at the rate you are going i am expecting you to be scoring in the low 150s by october.  i take everything you say with a grain of salt.

Good idea.  Yeah, my scores were dropping.  Really rattled me.  That's why I chickened out and postponed.