Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please Help! What DECENT US schools can I get into with my stats  (Read 1312 times)

nerdcore

Sorry about this annoying post.  I can't seem to figure out where to look for this sort of info...

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help! What DECENT US schools can I get into with my stats
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 05:44:54 PM »
These two links should be more than enough to get you started:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawrank_brief.php

www.chiashu.com

GOOD LUCK!

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 06:10:28 PM »
Thanks so much.

Another question- what do they do in the event of 2 LSATS in the US?  Does it depend on the school like in Canada or is there some more general rule about 2 LSAT scores?

Thanks again!

I soooo wish I had taken the LSAT more seriously.......

Most schools average the scores, meaning they would view you as having a 158.  But there are some (IE a few) that take the higher score--it really just depends..

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 06:41:23 PM »
Thanks so much.

Another question- what do they do in the event of 2 LSATS in the US?  Does it depend on the school like in Canada or is there some more general rule about 2 LSAT scores?

Thanks again!

I soooo wish I had taken the LSAT more seriously.......

Most schools average the scores, meaning they would view you as having a 158.  But there are some (IE a few) that take the higher score--it really just depends..

I have a 3.64 CGPA after I recalculated my UWO marks.  Do you know if that'll be the GPA that states will look at or could it possibly be higher after recalculating it to a state grading system??  As well do US LS drop any of your worst grades?  Thanks!

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 06:57:40 PM »
I have a 3.64 CGPA after I recalculated my UWO marks.  Do you know if that'll be the GPA that states will look at or could it possibly be higher after recalculating it to a state grading system??  As well do US LS drop any of your worst grades?  Thanks!

Given that not all schools calculate grades the same way in the US (ie at some places an A- is worth 3.7 and at some places it is worth 3.67), LSAC recalculates all the grades in a standard format.  (More information about exactly HOW this is calculated can be found in the FAQ of the LSAC website.)

I don't know how Canadian grades look in comparison to our system, but LSAC will know how to calculate them just fine.  (You can call if you want.)

Also, given that all US law schools rely on the LSAC GPA precisely because it is calculated consistently for all applicants, ALL college and university transcripts MUST be included (even if you did not graduate from there, or you took just one class a billion years ago) AND no grades are dropped when making the calculation (though there are some special rules for W's etc, which can also be seen in the LSAC FAQ).

Justme3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 09:56:38 PM »
Hey, I'm also a U of T grad.  I'll be applying in the fall too.  To add to Anoddduck's post, you should also punch in your numbers on LSAC's website and have a look on lawschoolnumbers.com (I think Anoddduck just forgot about it when it's in her sig ;))

Unfortunately, schools don't count MA's because grad school is usually graded on a B curve so grad GPAs tend to be higher.  That's not to say it won't help but the schools are required to report only undergrad GPAs to USNEWS.  I know how you feel, though, because I took some courses after my degree and did awesome but it's not calculated in LSAC's GPA.

If you had some interesting work experience, it could help for US schools.  I can't remember if Canadian schools ask about work experience.  Are there certain areas in the US you want to go to?  From there, you could narrow down your possible schools.