Law School Discussion

Competitiveness?

Competitiveness?
« on: July 27, 2005, 02:03:47 PM »
List these schools in order of least competitiveness/most laid back...

Duke University
University of Michigan Ann Arbor
Vanderbilt University
Wake Forest University
William & Mary

Thanks!

Re: Competitiveness?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 08:21:57 PM »
eh?

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 08:28:50 PM »
I can't offer you advice about any of the other schools but I go to Wake and I find that everyone is very friendly and helpful.  The first week of class, 2nd year students, who noticed we were in a line of first years offered advice for the best study guides for classes.  Yeah, I know, they aren't in my class but still, they had no reason to want to help us.  I've heard that at other schools people don't even stop and say hi to people in the halls; they're just too busy and absorbed in their own world.  Within the class everyone seems to be willing to give notes and advice and talk about study tips.  Wake is so small, only 40 people a section, we really are all family.  The only time it got really tense was the morning of exams, and I'm talking less than half an hour away. People tend to get snippy and may answer questions in a way that makes them feel better for knowing more than you.  You can't fault people for that though, at that point we may have been up for 48 hours, on our 14th cup of coffee, and happy that someone asked a question we could answer.  Trust me, no matter how nice you are you'll probably be a little snippy too during exams.

If you want to know anything more about Wake, I'd be happy to answer.  Are you applying for the following year or making last minute decisions?  Just send me a PM, or reply to this message, I'll check back later.

Jen

RocketBot

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:29:10 AM »
I've heard Michigan is supposed to be one of the most laid back top 10 schools (probably includes Virginia too)

miller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 12:35:55 PM »
is known to be the most uncompetitive LS. The students all help eachother and the profs dont try the bait and switch as they do at most other schools. The students are much more willing to help out and to hang out on weekends. It is the only LS that I have heard Alums call fun.

edit: I meant to say Boston College Law School, but from what I saw and heard from students, UNC is also like this.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 09:07:04 PM »

is known to be the most uncompetitive LS. The students all help eachother and the profs dont try the bait and switch as they do at most other schools. The students are much more willing to help out and to hang out on weekends. It is the only LS that I have heard Alums call fun.

Which school are you talking about? Just curious.

nubova

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 01:18:50 PM »

edit: I meant to say Boston College Law School, but from what I saw and heard from students, UNC is also like this.

Hey Miller,
From the top 25 schools, BC and UNC were very comfortable in regards to atmosphere. In addition, the students actually seemed happy, as opposed to other schools in the top 25. GW and ND were cool too. I read somewhere that it is because these students were more likely to feel that while they are competing for biglaw, they are guaranteed at least a small firm or nice gov job in a good market. On the other hand, there are some schools out there that are very competitive. BU, GULC, and Vandy are very cutthroat. The atmosphere is just depressing. It says a lot when you see students in a 25 person class at a law school with only a 200 total enrollment sized 1L and no one in the class is talking to eachother. It was scary sitting in on that class. I would rather at least try to enjoy my time in law school a little bit.

edit: I realized I didnt say which school was so depressing. It was BU.

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 05:53:31 PM »
That's interesting.  When I vistited in April, BU appeared to have an atmosphere that was diametrically opposed to the one you described.  Everyone was very friendly, very warm, willing to answer all my questions over their lunch break, etc.  In the Property class I sat in on, everybody was talking to each other, many also were smiling and or laughing, making light conversation.

Maybe they were just in a good mood when I visited.  Or in a bad mood when you visited.  ;)

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 06:01:20 PM »
List these schools in order of least competitiveness/most laid back...

Duke University
University of Michigan Ann Arbor
Vanderbilt University
Wake Forest University
William & Mary

Thanks!

I would assume, in terms of being laid back:

1.  Michigan.

2.  Duke.

3.  Vandy

4.  W&M

5.  WF.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 06:57:02 PM »
I have no idea how laid back any of those schools are including W&M which I will start attending this fall.  From my visits to W&M they have a mixture of geeky people and normal people...I have no idea what that means, also they grade on a 3.2 scale, so I think only 15% of the class gets C+ or lower and nobody failed out from their last graduating class of 205  students though a handful left for unidentified reasons (actually I think lsac updated the stats, so that might have changed.)  What do you mean by laid back anyway, kids can be laid back book worms who study a lot and thus still make the class competitive or they can be anal assholes, would the first of those two  count as laid back?  Also I have seen a couple people including nubova now mention Vandy is competitive, I have no first hand experience with the school though so I can't confirm.