Law School Discussion

Missing BLACK Woman

Re: Missing BLACK Woman
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2005, 07:07:35 AM »

getting into law school isn't based on the achivements of your family... your dad could have been einstein and you could be the dumbest person to walk the earth..

Lp,
I don't know, wouldn't they want someone who has a family history of doing these things over someone who came from nowhere with a famiy that didn't even graduate high school?

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2005, 07:10:14 AM »
But i"m saying that it looks better to them. I know for a fact that many of the people at ND are pretty stupid and the only reason they got in is because their parents went there. (I am also against legacy admits as well as AA, as you all already know).

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2005, 04:06:14 PM »
Lp,
I don't know, wouldn't they want someone who has a family history of doing these things over someone who came from nowhere with a famiy that didn't even graduate high school?

Vinny,

Why, they have a whole class of those types.  If they are looking for diversity, they will want someone like you who can bring a different perspective to the classroom dynamic.  That is the whole point.  They want people who have overcome great odds who are not cut from the same cookie cutter mold as everyone else that they allow in.

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2005, 09:49:33 PM »
Well, then I hope that I am what they are looking for, I can only hope that my totral package is one they want to unwrap, lol.

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2005, 11:27:12 PM »
Present yourself as a complete package of who you really are and I am sure they will want you to attend their school more often than not. 

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2005, 10:07:39 AM »
Even ND? Most people on this site think that I am just dreaming that I can get into ND, that is my top choice.
I try to never lie on these things, I have an overactive conscience I believe. Probably since I am totally into the study of ethics, always second-guessing whether what I am doing is correct or not,

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2005, 02:49:13 PM »
I would guess even ND.  I dont know your numbers, but I would say that if your numbers fit in with what they are looking for, why not ND?  You might as well go for it.  I dont see anything unethical about informing a school about your past and telling them where you come from. 

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2005, 04:39:51 PM »
May your soul rest in peace Latoyia.

j.rosh

« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2005, 04:41:30 PM »
Back to Missing Black Woman topic:
Her remains (Latoyia) were found, boyfriend arrested.

PHILADELPHIA (Aug. 20) - Police discovered the remains of a missing pregnant woman and quickly arrested the father of her unborn child Saturday, ending an exhaustive, monthlong search.

District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham said Stephen Poaches would be charged with two counts of murder and related offenses for the deaths of 24-year-old LaToyia Figueroa and her fetus.

Authorities did not provide a motive or say what led them to suspect Poaches, 25, who police said was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a pistol when he was arrested.

The remains were recovered in a grassy, partially wooded lot in Chester, 13 miles from Philadelphia. A few dozen members of the Figueroa family and supporters arrived at the scene shortly after daybreak, clustering close to the police tape and embracing each other.

"Now she can rest in peace,'' said the woman's father, Melvin Figueroa. "All I want is justice with that peace.''

"Now she can rest in peace. All I want is justice with that peace."
-Melvin Figueroa, LaToyia's father   

The woman's uncle, Jose Figueroa, said as terrible as the discovery of the body was, it puts an end to the weeks of fear and not knowing about LaToyia, who was five months pregnant at the time of the disappearance. "We can actually try to go back to a normal life,'' he said.

Relatives and friends have papered the city with flyers and held large-scale searches for any sign of Figueroa, recently marking one month since her disappearance. A reward fund for information had reached $100,000, including donations from the restaurant where she worked.

The case attracted a brief flurry of television attention after several Philadelphia-area bloggers waged a campaign urging networks to give the same attention to Figueroa, who is black and Hispanic, as they did to Natalee Holloway, a white woman who disappeared in Aruba.

Poaches' lawyer, Michael Coard, has repeatedly spoken to journalists on behalf of his client, including national television appearances in which he noted that Poaches has spoken to investigators voluntarily and that he has consented to have his home and his vehicle searched.

Police Commissioner Sylvester M. Johnson said Saturday that Coard's public relations moves would not hold up.

"He has an attorney who has basically tried this case in the news media and has depicted him to be innocent. We are saying today that he is not innocent and we are going to convict him and he will go to whatever he deserves to get,'' Johnson said.

Coard did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment after Saturday's news conference.

Figueroa, who also is the mother of a 7-year-old girl, was last seen on the afternoon of July 18 in West Philadelphia.

08-20-05 18:38 EDT

« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2005, 01:57:44 PM »
Found Trying to Move Body, Figueroa’s Ex-Boyfriend Charged with Murder
Date: Sunday, August 21, 2005
By: Monica Lewis, BlackAmericaWeb.com

From their first conversation, Philadelphia radio personality Golden Girl was immediately suspicious of the young man who called her show to deny any involvement in the disappearance of his pregnant ex-girlfriend.

So when news broke of Steven Poaches’ arrest in the death of LaToyia Figueroa Saturday, Golden Girl, an on-air personality with WUSL-FM, told BlackAmericaWeb.com that she “wasn’t surprised at all.”

“I just kind of knew it all along. I mean, even though I couldn’t say it [publicly], from the time he called me, that was my conclusion,” said Golden Girl, who became involved in the investigation of Figueroa’s disappearance after Poaches, 25, frequently called her late-night talk show to discuss the case and address, on air, the accusations that some were making against him.

The decomposed body of Figueroa, five-months pregnant and already the mother of a seven-year-old girl when she was last seen on July 18, was found Saturday in a wooded area in Chester, a small town roughly 15 miles south of Philadelphia. Poaches is now charged with the murders of Figueroa and her fetus. Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham said Poaches may face additional charges pending further investigation.

Figueroa’s disappearance, which occurred as the media frenzy over missing Alabama teen Natalee Holloway grew, sparked a national debate on how incidents involving missing women of color are covered by journalists. The grim discovery of her body comes one week after the remains of another black woman, Tamika Huston, were found by South Carolina police, more than a year after Huston was last seen alive. Like Figueroa, Huston’s alleged assailant appears to be a former flame.

When Figueroa, 24, was reported missing on July 21, loved ones said she was last known to be with Poaches, who accompanied her to a prenatal visit the day she vanished. Poaches, who had been cooperative with Philadelphia police throughout the investigation, had maintained that Figueroa left his West Philadelphia home after the doctor’s visit and that she may have wanted to escape stress associated with her pregnancy.

When fingers started pointing to Poaches, who failed to participate in the community vigils and neighborhood searches for Figueroa, he decided to call Golden Girl’s show to give his side of the story. On several occasions, Poaches, whose current girlfriend gave birth to their child shortly before Figueroa’s disappearance, would refuse to call Figueroa his “baby’s mama” during the on-air chats, choosing instead to refer to her as “the female.” But beyond that, Golden Girl said Poaches’ demeanor never sat well with her.

“I think what happened was that the guilt overrode whatever he tried to do to protect himself,” Golden Girl said, adding that, in addition to the bizarre conversations that were broadcast to millions of listeners, Poaches made several visits to the Philadelphia studio to meet with her, sat in the studio’s parking lot and made calls to Golden Girl’s private telephone line to discuss the investigation. Poaches' behavior moved Golden Girl to repeatedly listen to tapes of his conversations, something that helped her gain more insight than that of someone who only heard his conversations live on-air.

“I listened to them day in and day out, so I’ve heard much more than everybody else,” said Golden Girl, who turned over all tapes to Philadelphia police. “I think [Poaches] felt as though he needed to proclaim his innocence in order to get the heat off of him, but he just got very comfortable, very fast.”

However, after three weeks of repeated questioning by police, Poaches may have grown more and more uncomfortable with his alleged role in Figueroa’s disappearance and death. Published reports claim that police had been trailing Poaches for quite some time when he was observed attempting to move Figueroa’s body early Saturday morning. When he was picked up by police, Poaches was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a pistol.

Michael Coard, Poaches' attorney, said in a recent interview that Poaches had every right to be absent from the public activities for Figueroa, considering that he was fearful of how her family may react to his presence.

Ironically, the two had spoken Friday afternoon, hours before Poaches’ arrest, Coard told BlackAmericaWeb.com Saturday night. Poaches was asking how he could go about getting his car back from police, who took the vehicle as part of their investigation three weeks ago, said Coard, who admitted that he somewhat surprised about the weekend’s turn of events.

“Originally, the police said that Stephen was not a suspect, not a person of interest, and clearly that has changed now,” said Coard. “The worst case scenario, based on the evidence is that he allegedly might have been moving the body. That’s not evidence of murder.”

Nonetheless, family, friends and strangers alike can’t help but believe that Poaches was somehow involved in Figueroa’s death. Appearing on the “Today Show” Sunday morning, Figueroa’s aunt Stephanie Stephenson said Poaches never seemed to be upfront with the family in regards to what appeared to have been Figueroa’s last hours alive.

“He told too many conflicting versions of his story,” said Stephenson, who raised Figueroa after her own mother, Ann Taylor, was found dead on a North Philadelphia street in 1985. That death remains unsolved.

Despite how his client may look in the eyes of the public, Coard is asking everyone to refrain from making judgments, at least until Poaches is given a fair trial.

“There before the grace of God go I,” said Coard, who was hoping to speak with his client Sunday evening. “There are so many people falsely accused of a crime. Right now, we need to make sure that we abide by the law and, if [people] assume or presume anything, they need to assume or presume that he’s innocent.”