Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Missing BLACK Woman  (Read 5546 times)

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Missing BLACK Woman
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 12:39:07 AM »
And there might be people who didn't do it, who might think "Oh, well, this is all a big misunderstanding!  If I just sit down and explain everything to these nice officers, everything will be cleared up."  That's a pretty big risk, one that a smarter person probably wouldn't take.  If the police have brought you down to the station for questioning, and have you in a back room with a one-way glass, that's a pretty good sign that their investigation has begun to focus on you as a suspect (perhaps the prime suspect), any and all police denials of this notwithstanding.  At this point, they are likely seeking to do their best to hang you with your own words, rather than "find out the truth" (in their minds, the two might very well appear to be the same thing).  You know that part of the Miranda warning that says anything you say can and will be used against you in a criminal proceeding?  They mean it!  So, if you find yourself called down for questioning at the station, the smart thing to do is to shut up.  Say nothing, except for "I want a lawyer."  Then shut up until the lawyer gets there and you can talk and listen to his (or her) advice.  Then, and only then, should you even think about talking to the police: with your lawyer at your side.  Ain't nothing criminal or suspicious about that.  It's called cover your @$$.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 12:50:38 AM »
That is soo true JD.  The cops aren't thinking "let me ask this guy a few questions so we clear this up and have him on his way as soon as possible"...haha rather they're thinking "let me see how I can trap this dude into a lie that could land him upstate for the rest of his life".  So a smart man keeps his mouths shut til his lawyer shows up..
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 02:38:37 AM »
Well, you are a nice person and I like you, but a lot of the talking heads on these news shows act like there is a problem with everything else and EVERYONE should be interested in these stories.  I was watching Nancy Grace the other night and she was upset becuase one of the suspects would not help the mother to find her daughter.  Her position is just completely stupid.

I just love the fake outrage.  Like how everyone is shocked--shocked!--that Paulus Van der Sloot is advising his son and the two brothers to keep their yaps shut.  Puh-leeze!  There's nothing criminal, or even suspicious, about that: that's called "giving good legal advice."  When the police bring you into the station for questioning, it's always in your best interest to SHUT THE FVCK UP!  You'd think someone with a frellin' LAW DEGREE and experience as a PROSECUTOR would know that.  ::)

You are right and that is the problem I have, the fake outrage.  Whether the person did it or not, are they really going to tell the mother where they put her daughter??  But Nancy Grace thinks that if these people were DECENT, they would talk and tell this mother where her daughter is.  What horrible people they are to not want to talk to her and then my God, to go to the police and seek a restraining order against her coming into their place of business to bother them.
Back in the saddle again.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 08:49:16 AM »
Well, first of all, these people shouldn't be committing crimes. And second of all, if they commit the crime, they better well be ready for the consequences.
THis is why I won't be a defense attorney, I CANNOT defend a guilty person, I'd rather put them IN jail then keep them out.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 09:26:45 AM »
Man leads police to skeletal remains of Tamika Huston
Date: Sunday, August 14, 2005
By: The Associated Press, APonline

A convicted bank robber led police to a set of skeletal remains believed to be those of Tamika Huston, a woman he once dated who had been missing for over a year.
Authorities hope to have the remains identified in the coming week.

Christopher Lamont Hampton, 25, was charged with murder in Huston's June 2004 disappearance. He had been scheduled for release Friday from an Edgefield county prison after serving three months for violating probation stemming from a bank robbery conviction, but he was taken into custody instead.

New forensic evidence linked Hampton to Huston's disappearance, Spartanburg Public Safety Director Tony Fisher said. He would not release details, but he said the evidence was in addition to blood police found at Hampton's former apartment.

Huston was recently spotlighted in a "Dateline NBC" report about the disappearances of attractive white women getting more media coverage than the disappearances of men or minorities.

Huston was black, and her aunt, a public relations representative, told NBC she tried for months without success to get the national networks to publicize her niece's story.

"For our family, this day brings us both tremendous sadness and some sense of relief," Huston's relatives said in a statement released after police announced the discovery of the remains Friday. "While trying to come to terms with the fact that our Tamika will not return to us, we find comfort in knowing the person responsible for this most personal tragedy is being brought to justice."

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

j.rosh

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 09:34:48 AM »
I saw that on MSNBC yesterday morning. Tamika Huston's story was in the July issue of Essence magazine along with other missing black women. 

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 09:58:58 AM »
What's o important about getting any crime on tv anyways? I undersstand if someone has JUST gone missing. But they have missing person things in the mailbox everyday. DO you think for one second anybody actually pays attentino to those, let alone seeing it on the news? People just change the channel, or it's the last thing on the news. This Aruba thing was probably only cause that family is rich or something anyways.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 10:03:42 AM »
I pay attention...

What's o important about getting any crime on tv anyways? I undersstand if someone has JUST gone missing. But they have missing person things in the mailbox everyday. DO you think for one second anybody actually pays attentino to those, let alone seeing it on the news? People just change the channel, or it's the last thing on the news. This Aruba thing was probably only cause that family is rich or something anyways.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

j.rosh

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2005, 10:08:09 AM »
The man arrested for her murder is the same guy they suspected for awhile. According to Essence, there were keys found after she went missing that led to an apartment; the man renting the apartment had apparently rented a steam cleaner days before he moved out of the apartment.  He was in jail serving time  for parole violation.
No one in her family ever met this man or knew his name before he became a suspect.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2005, 10:09:15 AM »
in fact Vinny.... if someone in your family or if you ended up missing wouldn't you want the media involved in the search??

or do you feel like hey.. just another crime.. next channel..

we need to value human life more than we do...