Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Missing BLACK Woman  (Read 5798 times)

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Missing BLACK Woman
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 12:50:43 PM »
Does anyone else reflexively cringe every time they hear Nancy Grace butcher this poor women's name?  You know: "Latoyia Figuero-HA."  *Shudder*  ¡Por Dios!, ¿qué gringa?
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 01:00:36 PM »
Dateline's doing a story about how the media always covers white missing females.

Are there other possible reasons besides racism that would lead to the current discrepency in levels of news coverage?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 05:38:30 AM »
Intuition -- I think money plays a big role in whose dissappearance gets covered.

And for those who hate on Nancy -- I have to say I met her (sort of, we covered the same trial together) and I think she is a decent chick, very nice to her fans.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 10:20:10 PM »
Have you ever met a media person you didnt like???
Back in the saddle again.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 09:59:48 AM »
Hey, I agree that the Holloway story is getting too much coverage. Her family needs to get over it, and realize that she was  alone on an idland known for having these things happen.
I think that there are places where missing black kids are talked about in the news. Gary, IN is definately a place that ocmes to mind. We get news from Chicago, and there are always black people on the news. What's wrong with that?

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 06:06:08 PM »
Don't worry Made4Law Nancy Grace has the Holloway story covered.

And it seems Greta Van Susteren has relocated to Aruba. So ridiculous, considering Americans disappear in the Caribbean all the time....

Even Joe Scarborough has gotten caught up in the Holloway garbage. Whether you agree with him or not, at least he used to discuss real issues... :-\
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 09:55:31 PM »
Hey LP -- I've met LOTS of media people I didn't like.
But most media people are wonderful friendly people like me  :)
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 08:56:13 PM »
Well, you are a nice person and I like you, but a lot of the talking heads on these news shows act like there is a problem with everything else and EVERYONE should be interested in these stories.  I was watching Nancy Grace the other night and she was upset becuase one of the suspects would not help the mother to find her daughter.  Her position is just completely stupid.
Back in the saddle again.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 09:07:47 PM »
Well, you are a nice person and I like you, but a lot of the talking heads on these news shows act like there is a problem with everything else and EVERYONE should be interested in these stories.  I was watching Nancy Grace the other night and she was upset becuase one of the suspects would not help the mother to find her daughter.  Her position is just completely stupid.

I just love the fake outrage.  Like how everyone is shocked--shocked!--that Paulus Van der Sloot is advising his son and the two brothers to keep their yaps shut.  Puh-leeze!  There's nothing criminal, or even suspicious, about that: that's called "giving good legal advice."  When the police bring you into the station for questioning, it's always in your best interest to SHUT THE FVCK UP!  You'd think someone with a frellin' LAW DEGREE and experience as a PROSECUTOR would know that.  ::)
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 12:26:14 AM »
Yeah, that's one thing I learned from watching trials -- NEVER ADMIT ANYTHING.

I have seen so many people get convicted because they try to excuse their way out of the crime. "Yeah, well I didn't actually shoot the guy, I just drove the car while my friend shot the guy."

Yeah, when I get my job on Court TV I'm not going to be surprised when people won't admit what they did.

-TMcGraw