Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there any detriment to having only 2 LORs?  (Read 811 times)

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
Is there any detriment to having only 2 LORs?
« on: July 27, 2005, 01:54:09 PM »
I know that typically only 1-2 LORs are required, but it seems like almost everyone (at least on LSD) gets 3.  Is there really any detriment whatsoever to only having 2?

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any detriment to having only 2 LORs?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 06:02:32 PM »
Personally, I only had two. 

I had gone abroad for a year, and when I came back, I only had one semester until graduation.  Then, on top of that, I didn't apply until I had been out of school for a year... Talk about difficulty of getting profs to remember you... (I didn't want to ask my employer because I didn't want my employer to know that I was applying; didn't want them to think about replacing me before I even had somewhere to go, you know?)

Anyway, I only had two, and I still did pretty well.  (You can see my stats at LSN, linked below).  On the other hand, I went to a pretty respected undergrad (Berkeley) and the two recs I did have were from Lecturers in my major department.

I made sure to give them copies of my transcript, my resume, and a copy of my rough draft personal statement so that they could comment on the same qualities I was trying to highlight.  I also spent hours corresponding with them via email regarding my intentions behind going to law school, and one of my professors even asked if there was something I would like her to highlight in particular.  (I told her, "I don't typically do as well on standardized tests as I do in real life, so if you could emphasize that, that would be great."  Considering that I got into two Top 10 programs and waitlisted at another 3 with only a 161 LSAT, I suppose she did.)

In the end, I think having the letters two was enough.  Nonetheless, if I could have, I would have gone for the third in a heartbeat.  I just didn't know anybody anymore who could really give me one...

My advice: if you can get three, great, but if the third one would be merely mediocre, go with the two letters of quality.

DO NOT go with just one.  I think THAT would be virtual suicide...   (It's not hard to find one person who thinks you're great; it's a lot harder to find two or three, y'know?  And remember, they prefer letters from Professors because you are applying to law school, not for a job as a lawyer...)

GOOD LUCK!

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 06:13:58 PM »
totally agree with anodduck.

i only had two LORs and did just fine in the end.  i would have been better served if one of them was an academic LOR, but a strong academic LOR wasn't possible.  (i've been out of school for 7 years.)

definitely use only strong LORs.  if you're just graduating from college, it'd probably be best if they were both from academic sources.  if you have significant work experience, getting an LOR from an employer would be a good idea.  if you can manage three excellent LORs, more power to you, but two would be fine.

good luck!

SkullTatt

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 12:23:49 PM »
I think two strong, in-depth LOR's is more than enough. In all the books I've read on applying to law school, and all the quotes I've seen from adcomms, I've never read, "Bury us in LORs!"

What I have read many times is adcomms saying, "Most LOR's don't help us make a decision." Lots of superlatives and non-specific praise are not really what they want in an LOR.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 12:32:47 PM »
I only had 2 even though 3 was recommended.  LSAC has a list under 'LOR Overview' on the LSDAS/LOR tab.  They list all the law schools, how many LORs they recommend or require and how many they will accept.  It looks like most either require 2 or recommend 3.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 03:50:51 PM »
I had "only 2" LOR's, and seemed to work fine for me.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.