Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Everything NYC Related  (Read 5648 times)

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Everything NYC Related
« on: July 27, 2005, 09:45:19 AM »
Welcome to Manhattan: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6628

How do you guys feel about the searches going on at Bus routes and subway stations? Would you wave your 4th Amendment rights and let them search your bags? Personally, I think its silly. It wont stop terrorism. Its just costing the city more money and increasing delays.

Any LSD'ers from NYC?

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
Re: Everything NYC Related
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 09:47:02 AM »
I'm going to be living in NYC....

As for the searches, it all really depends. If searching EVERYONE prevents terrorist attacks, then I'm all for it. However most of the time these types of searches turns into racial profiling.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

BigMix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 10:54:10 AM »
I live in Brooklyn and I work in downtown Manhattan. I've never been searched. It seems like those Cops are only searching Penn, Timesquare and Grandcentral, and other popular busy train stations.

What's sad, is that, all a terrorist has to do, is set his timer to correspond with his train's arrival at a busy train station from a not so busy train station.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 11:05:37 AM »
I live in Brooklyn and I work in downtown Manhattan. I've never been searched. It seems like those Cops are only searching Penn, Timesquare and Grandcentral, and other popular busy train stations.

What's sad, is that, all a terrorist has to do, is set his timer to correspond with his train's arrival at a busy train station from a not so busy train station.

BigMix, where in BK do you reside?

Nadege

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 11:23:02 AM »
I think the searches are likely to lead to unnecessary harrassment. One of my friends told me yesterday that a young man of Middle Eastern descent was going into a subway and an officer abruptly stopped him and asked if he had a bookbag. It was clear that the man had nothing on him so when he protested, the officer cut him short and demanded to know where he had hidden his bookbag. Another female office had to intervene before he could be free to continue his commute. I understand that everyone is on edge, but I don't think that should be used an excuse to badger innocent people.  Look at the situation where the men were forced off a tour bus in the city because they had bookbags and were "acting strangely"
Ain't no feelin' like feelin' free
When your mind's made up and your heart's in the right place...

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 11:24:30 AM »
Is anyone attending law school in NYC?
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

YoungIke

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:26:05 AM »
One of my concubines is going to Columbia

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 11:28:18 AM »
Oh really? We might be classmates then.  ;)

BigMix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 11:44:46 AM »

BigMix, where in BK do you reside?
East Flatbush. East 29th to be exact

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 11:47:44 AM »
I think the searches are likely to lead to unnecessary harrassment. One of my friends told me yesterday that a young man of Middle Eastern descent was going into a subway and an officer abruptly stopped him and asked if he had a bookbag. It was clear that the man had nothing on him so when he protested, the officer cut him short and demanded to know where he had hidden his bookbag. Another female office had to intervene before he could be free to continue his commute. I understand that everyone is on edge, but I don't think that should be used an excuse to badger innocent people.  Look at the situation where the men were forced off a tour bus in the city because they had bookbags and were "acting strangely"

Figured stuff like this would occur . . . everyone is so quick to wave their rights but they dont see the big picture.