Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Everything NYC Related  (Read 5665 times)

lex19

Re: Everything NYC Related
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2005, 01:10:40 PM »
i know newark sands, i know jersey for the most part; the good and the bad...and wait till spring i'll bring ya around town so you can see what's up...new scotland ave & downtown is what they want you to see.....

exactly sweetie, that's not Albany, when you come back I'll show you around, and the grad students probably don't want to get hemmed up that's why they don't know what's up

and fyi, Albany is a city, don't hate just cause it's not as big as good ol' Newark...respect the Cap City (why am i defending a place i can't stand...pride is a bia)

i see you weren't in the city of Albany, somewhere out in the boonies, but it's all good you'll see this spring

Lex, I hate to have to burst your bubble but yes, we were in the town of Albany.  Albany, NY.  All up in Albany Law school, right across from the Med School on Scotland, the whole 9.  Cool little spot. It reminded me a lot of my college town back in the midwest.

HEY, since you're from there, the law students couldn't tell us where the hot spots were at (for obvious reasons).  Where do you guys go to kick it up there?

LOL, woman whatchu talkin 'bout!?  How you gonna tell us we wasn't in Albany this weekend?  We was all up in it!

Newark ain't that big actually.  Its just famous for 'DA BRICKS, car jackings, Lauryn Hill, Redman, and Naughty By Nature.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2005, 01:11:39 PM »
See, this is what im talking about. I'm at Penn Station just chillin right. And I stroll pass this little muffin and carrot juice store. So I stop in to pick up a little 16 oz. bottle of Tropica Apple Juice (Not From Concentrate) to quench my thirst. And Becky says, with a smile, "That'll be $2.25." Of course I put it back and walked out with celerity (I think I walked out so fast that she got a whif of my Mountain Breeze antiperspirant). So then as I was walking I see this Duane Reade store. I stop in to see if they got that Juice and to my surprise, they did. Guess how much I paid? $1.35

*pats self on the back*

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2005, 01:17:06 PM »
Vic, you stupid yo.   :D  LadyDay says wsup by the way.

What I love about NYC is that the tourists get played all the time, but if you know wsup you can talk your price down on just about anything.  You know them damn peanuts they be sellin on the corner?  You know them joints don't go for more than $1.  Why I see a vendor beat this tourist over the head for $5 bucks!  And he paid it!!!!!!!  There was this other cat nearby who knew what was up.  We just looked at each other and shook our heads, and proceeded to get our peanuts for $1 each.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »
Hey LadyDay!  :) How are you? Oh wait . . . is she reading this?

BurningSands are you talking about those sweet honey roasted peanuts? YO! Thats my sh!t son!!! Those joints are scrumptious. I wouldnt even toss em up in the air and catch in my mouth because of the risk of missing. Thats how flavorful those joints are. But 5 bucks? Man thats some serious comedy!!!!

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2005, 02:06:04 PM »
Anyone thinking about moving to NYC? Feel free to ask questions about the area.

Heres a nice link:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2005, 02:34:39 PM »
Anyone thinking about moving to NYC? Feel free to ask questions about the area.

Heres a nice link:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

This reminds me, there are some sleeper spots in manhattan.  I know this one girl who lives at midtown on 34th and her apartment building is women only and they have a cafeteria downstairs just like back in the dorms.  I went up to her room without signing in at the front desk and got kicked out just for old times sake.  ;D
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2005, 03:04:05 PM »
Where does the young professional crowd hang out at?

8 more days and I'm OUT OF CALI

YAHOO!!!!!!!!

I'm ready to take over NYC anyway. Hehe.   :)

What are you guys doing for labor day?
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2005, 04:34:40 AM »
Where does the young professional crowd hang out at?

8 more days and I'm OUT OF CALI

YAHOO!!!!!!!!

I'm ready to take over NYC anyway. Hehe.   :)

What are you guys doing for labor day?

Labor day? I dont need a holiday to tell me when I should call up family/friends and play peekaboo with neices and nephews. I dont even know whens Labor Day. Is that the time when people are not allowed to wear white anymore? This fukks up the KKK's wardrobe so I'll actually support this holiday.

A hang out spot? The 40/40 club. The NBA player; Telefair, chills there. I balled with him a couple of times. I dont chill at the 40/40 though. I should be able to sit at the same table as Jay-Z. Umm . . . theres also other places like Spirit, Crobar, and Avalon.

SheLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2005, 05:51:13 AM »
I have locs so I hit up Khamit Kinks to get my hair done.  An attorney I know referred me there.  They do all kinds of natural hair styles and they have a website if you want to check 'em out.  The lady who does my hair does Stevie Wonders locs.

I also heard great things about Curve Salon so I'm sure you'd be fine going there as well.

For the brows, I go to Pinky's on 6th ave between 38th and 39th St to get mine threaded.  They always hook me up. 

Don't bring your car... stick to the subways and cabs.  You've probably heard this before but parking is very difficult and expensive. 

I'd suggest layering up for the winters because it's only cold when commuting.  Once you get to your destination (which probably has heat), you don't want bulky clothes weighing you down.

Hmm...Khamit Kinks.  I'm thinking about just coming to NYC to get my hair done, and I'd love to go to that salon because they know what they're doing, but their prices frighten me.

I'm way late but I wanted to just chime in on Khamit Kinks.  They are expensive but you gotta know when to go.  NYC is affordable if you know how to plan things.  Like someone else said, its the tourists who really get played cuz they don't know better.

Anyway, I pay $60 for a wash, hot oil treatment, retwist, and updo at Khamit Kinks.  Honestly, when I first went up in there, I didn't know I was gonna get a hot oil treatment AND updo... down south where I'm from they don't give you all that - just the basic wash and retwist.  But back to my point, some salons up here have days when they give you discounts... Retwists at Khamit Kinks are usually atleast $80 but they drop it down to $60 on Tuesday and Wednesday because those are slow days.

Oh yeah, I've heard great things about Turnin Heads (a natural hair salon in Harlem).  I stopped 2 women on the street one day because they had gorgeous locs and they both said they went to turnin heads.  I know another lady with natural hair who goes there and her hair is always on point.  They're expensive as well but I figured I'd throw the name out there.

There's this other natural hair salon that my friend raves about but I forgot the name. If anyone is interested in knowing, PM me and I'll call her up for some info.
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2005, 01:54:08 PM »

A hang out spot? The 40/40 club. The NBA player; Telefair, chills there. I balled with him a couple of times. I dont chill at the 40/40 though. I should be able to sit at the same table as Jay-Z. Umm . . . theres also other places like Spirit, Crobar, and Avalon.

Whatchu know about Shark Bar, Eugene's, China Club and the Coffee Bar at union squre?
Charles H. Houston