Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Everything NYC Related  (Read 5596 times)

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
Re: Everything NYC Related
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 06:32:35 PM »
Victor you are confusing me with RBG.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 10:51:24 AM »
BigMix which H.S. did you go to?

BigMix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005, 02:15:56 PM »
I went to school in the Caribbean. Came to NYC at 17.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 02:29:55 PM »
Welcome to Manhattan: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6628

How do you guys feel about the searches going on at Bus routes and subway stations? Would you wave your 4th Amendment rights and let them search your bags? Personally, I think its silly. It wont stop terrorism. Its just costing the city more money and increasing delays.

Any LSD'ers from NYC?

Vic, you know I'm out here.

They haven't hit me up...YET on the subway but i'm sure my time is coming.  When I'm workin in manhattan I'm usually going to the wallstreet area and they have heavey security down there.  You can't even get to the building where I work without going through a command post, a couple K-9's, a photo ID, social security card, your mama's mama's maiden name, etc.

It's a lose lose.

Somewhere, bin laden and company is chillin with a 6 pack, laughin their asses off at all the new rules we have to make for ourselves every other month. But on the flip, the minute we slip, KA-BOOM.

Can somebody explain to me the hard-on for blowing up America to the extent that you would be willing to drop everything in your life on the drop of a dime and blow yourself up?  I'm not making the connection.

EDIT:

Vic I'm about to let ya'll have all this though. I love NYC but I gotta get down to DC. Its callin me like Pookie to a crack pipe.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

SheLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2005, 06:54:19 PM »
I keep hearing about all these random searches taking place in the subways and on the trains but I don't see this anywhere.  I go to Grand Central, Times Square, and several other stations pretty regularly and haven't seen any more security now than what we had in place prior to the London incidences.  Maybe it's because I'm always in such a rush to get to work that I'm just oblivious to my surroundings.

Btw, Sands, what do you find so alluring about DC?
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

seu2002

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 09:44:49 PM »
hahaha.  i've been living in newark for only a week and have taken rides on every form of public transportation imagineable in NYC and i have yet to see anyone get searched.  I was very weary of it too, thinking that i would get harassed the moment i set foot at the station.  to this moment-- nada.  but as sands said, i am, too, sure that my time will come.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 10:20:31 AM »
I keep hearing about all these random searches taking place in the subways and on the trains but I don't see this anywhere.  I go to Grand Central, Times Square, and several other stations pretty regularly and haven't seen any more security now than what we had in place prior to the London incidences.  Maybe it's because I'm always in such a rush to get to work that I'm just oblivious to my surroundings.

What do I find alluring about DC?  Well I'll tell you.

First, let me say that I love the City.  It doesn't get any bigger.  Only in the City can I drive sideways across 5 lanes of traffic in front of half a dozen cops both on foot and in squad cars and not even get so much as a warning.  And it still trips me out to see all these movies that show scenes from the City and I'm like "hey I was just there yesterday, that's 5th and 87th" or whatever.

All that aside, I'm all about being surrounded by Black positivity.  The City has that too, don't get me wrong, but there's been no greater concentration of Black 3rd and 4th generation college educated folks like I've found in DC.  Plus, its within driving distance of the City, Philly and Baltimore so its not like I would really be leaving anything by going there.  But to put it as simply as I can, I just love the vibe of DC more.  Its got that big city mentality that NY has and that same east coast spirit without all the big city problems that NY has. 

DC has traffic but the difference between DC traffic and NY traffic is that DC traffic actually moves.  DC has poor parts of town, NY has the entire Bronx.  But I think, most importantly, your money just goes longer in DC (or anywhere for that matter) than it does in the City.  I posted on here a few weeks ago when they had this study on channel 5 that stated in order to live "comfortably" in the City you would have to CLEAR $500,000 a year AFTER taxes.  1/2 a mill after taxes, yo.  The Non-NY'ers here probably buggin their eyes out right now at that figure, but the NY'ers on this board are just noddin their heads like "yup, that sounds about right."  Cause you know how much it costs to live here! 

I had a frat brother who worked for Cravath for 4 years gettin mad stupid loot + bonuses.  This cat was living mediocre in the City.  I asked him how was a 6 figure salary in the City, he said you gotta have 6 figures just to be able to live in a decent part of town.  He subsequently got snagged by a "head hunter" and relocated to a DC law firm and is loving it.  He lives in an actual "house" with a yard and sh!t. And its bigger than a dorm room.  Imagine that.

Like I said, I love the City.  I love being out here, runnin into celeb's at 40/40 and the whole 9.  I love the fast pace.  I go back home for a weekend and I'm honkin at cats the millisecond that the light turns green and screamin out the window at slow drivers "hey buddy, I'm driving over here!"  Midwesterners think NY'er are rude - I don't.  I think that NY'er just got somewhere to go and ain't got time for the dumb stuff.  I love that about the City.  I just know that as far as living here, possibly trying to raise kids here, etc. its not for me.  DC's more my style as far as long term living is concerned.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 10:42:52 AM »

What do I find alluring about DC?  Well I'll tell you.

First, let me say that I love the City.  It doesn't get any bigger.  Only in the City can I drive sideways across 5 lanes of traffic in front of half a dozen cops both on foot and in squad cars and not even get so much as a warning.  And it still trips me out to see all these movies that show scenes from the City and I'm like "hey I was just there yesterday, that's 5th and 87th" or whatever.

All that aside, I'm all about being surrounded by Black positivity.  The City has that too, don't get me wrong, but there's been no greater concentration of Black 3rd and 4th generation college educated folks like I've found in DC.  Plus, its within driving distance of the City, Philly and Baltimore so its not like I would really be leaving anything by going there.  But to put it as simply as I can, I just love the vibe of DC more.  Its got that big city mentality that NY has and that same east coast spirit without all the big city problems that NY has. 

DC has traffic but the difference between DC traffic and NY traffic is that DC traffic actually moves.  DC has poor parts of town, NY has the entire Bronx.  But I think, most importantly, your money just goes longer in DC (or anywhere for that matter) than it does in the City.  I posted on here a few weeks ago when they had this study on channel 5 that stated in order to live "comfortably" in the City you would have to CLEAR $500,000 a year AFTER taxes.  1/2 a mill after taxes, yo.  The Non-NY'ers here probably buggin their eyes out right now at that figure, but the NY'ers on this board are just noddin their heads like "yup, that sounds about right."  Cause you know how much it costs to live here! 

I had a frat brother who worked for Cravath for 4 years gettin mad stupid loot + bonuses.  This cat was living mediocre in the City.  I asked him how was a 6 figure salary in the City, he said you gotta have 6 figures just to be able to live in a decent part of town.  He subsequently got snagged by a "head hunter" and relocated to a DC law firm and is loving it.  He lives in an actual "house" with a yard and sh!t. And its bigger than a dorm room.  Imagine that.

Like I said, I love the City.  I love being out here, runnin into celeb's at 40/40 and the whole 9.  I love the fast pace.  I go back home for a weekend and I'm honkin at cats the millisecond that the light turns green and screamin out the window at slow drivers "hey buddy, I'm driving over here!"  Midwesterners think NY'er are rude - I don't.  I think that NY'er just got somewhere to go and ain't got time for the dumb stuff.  I love that about the City.  I just know that as far as living here, possibly trying to raise kids here, etc. its not for me.  DC's more my style as far as long term living is concerned.

In other words, you got a fine breezy down in DC. I understand.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 10:44:06 AM »
Victor you are confusing me with RBG.

must be
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2005, 11:41:28 AM »

In other words, you got a fine breezy down in DC. I understand.

LOL!!!

Brother, I wish. Maybe some day. 
Charles H. Houston