Law School Discussion

Patent Bar/ ABA Law School?

Lemon

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Patent Bar/ ABA Law School?
« on: January 28, 2003, 07:53:13 PM »
Hello,

I am a 31 year old EE grad thinking of going to Law school and become a Patent Attorney. I will taking the patent bar exam soon and hopefully will clear it. So I will be a patent agent even before I go to Law school.

I am thinking of going to Law school in fall this year and will be hopefully done in 3-4 years. Now, do you think it is important I go to an ABA accredited school? I can go to one of those in-expensive California Bar schools and be qualified to practise Law in California and Federal courts but NOT anywhere else.... but I am patent attorney, so why should I care? I will be saving about $50k by not going to a ABA law school.

Please let me know if this makes sense.

L

Angela

• Hotel Room
    • View Profile
Re: Patent Bar/ ABA Law School?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 01:19:22 AM »
Hi, what prep did you take for the patent bar?

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 10:51:19 AM »
OP: It does not make any sense.  Go to the best school you can get in to (and forget about IP rankings).  And make sure you want to be a patent atty.  Work as agent for a while.  See if you like it.  You might even get a firm to pay for school.

Re prep, PRG (Kayton) is the best, although PLI does prepare you for the bar pretty well too.

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 11:23:45 AM »
how can you study for the patent bar on the cheap.  those classes are high as heck!  suggestions?

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 11:26:53 AM »
You can buy the course materials used.  Alternatively, for nothing you can just take old exams and read chapters 700 and 2100 of the MPEP.

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 11:32:28 AM »
thanxs.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 01:12:42 PM »

Re prep, PRG (Kayton) is the best, although PLI does prepare you for the bar pretty well too.

Far as I can tell, Kayton's very comprehensive and practice-oriented, while PLI is much more focused on drilling questions for the exam.  I'm focusing on Kayton, myself, and I guess I'll have a better opinion in a month or two when I finally sit for the exam.

Yep, that's accurate.  I've taken both.