Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Blackman's success increasing the likelyhood of him dating outside his race?  (Read 11722 times)

lex19

i'm sure ol' boy wasn't the first to dissapoint 1lwhit

Ah yes...let me weigh in on this one. 

So I arrived at law school last fall and I see a certain gentleman and all I could say was "WOW!"  Mr. WOW wasn't the best looking thing, but he was thin, smart, and charismatic.  A friend of mine knew that I had a crush on Mr. WOW and my friend said, "Don't waste your time...you are not the right color for him."  Yes, the majority of Mr. WOW's friend's were white...and he was well-respected in school...but I did not believe that he would be the type to exclude black women.

Well in March, Mr. WOW showed a little interest…but then nothing.  Then in April, Mr. WOW showed up to a school dance with a white woman.  I thought, “I guess my friend was right about Mr. WOW.”  But then in early May Mr. WOW said that he was interested in me and had been “crushin” for a while.  We talked, and decided to get to know each other.

Then in mid-June Mr. WOW shows up at the club (after saying he would be studying all night).  He proceeds to dance with a skanky looking white woman, and then comes over and whispers to me, “Don’t be spying on me.”  I was pissed and confused.  There is no way I need to spy on some man.

So we talked the next day and he said that my presence at the club made him “feel weird.”  Even though I was there first…and I found out that he (a 27 yo black man) has NEVER dated a black woman.  He said because “there really aren’t any around.”  Hmmm…didn’t quite get that one.  Educated black women OUTNUMBER educated black men. 

To sum it all up -- NO MORE BLACK MEN FOR ME.  I’m done.  The black men I want, black professionals, don’t want me.  I'm sick of playing this game...I’m expanding my horizons.

Don't give up on them just yet!  It's fine to be open to dating men of other races, but you can't swear off black men just because of one messed up brotha.  That's just silly.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ah yes...let me weigh in on this one. 

So I arrived at law school last fall and I see a certain gentleman and all I could say was "WOW!"  Mr. WOW wasn't the best looking thing, but he was thin, smart, and charismatic.  A friend of mine knew that I had a crush on Mr. WOW and my friend said, "Don't waste your time...you are not the right color for him."  Yes, the majority of Mr. WOW's friend's were white...and he was well-respected in school...but I did not believe that he would be the type to exclude black women.

Well in March, Mr. WOW showed a little interest…but then nothing.  Then in April, Mr. WOW showed up to a school dance with a white woman.  I thought, “I guess my friend was right about Mr. WOW.”  But then in early May Mr. WOW said that he was interested in me and had been “crushin” for a while.  We talked, and decided to get to know each other.

Then in mid-June Mr. WOW shows up at the club (after saying he would be studying all night).  He proceeds to dance with a skanky looking white woman, and then comes over and whispers to me, “Don’t be spying on me.”  I was pissed and confused.  There is no way I need to spy on some man.

So we talked the next day and he said that my presence at the club made him “feel weird.”  Even though I was there first…and I found out that he (a 27 yo black man) has NEVER dated a black woman.  He said because “there really aren’t any around.”  Hmmm…didn’t quite get that one.  Educated black women OUTNUMBER educated black men. 

To sum it all up -- NO MORE BLACK MEN FOR ME.  I’m done.  The black men I want, black professionals, don’t want me.  I'm sick of playing this game...I’m expanding my horizons.

Don't give up on them just yet!  It's fine to be open to dating men of other races, but you can't swear off black men just because of one messed up brotha.  That's just silly.

I totally agree. Opening yourself up to others and closing yourself off to black men ar 2 completely different things.

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile

Eh... doesn't really matter.  I will NEVER give up on black men, even if I never happen to date another one.  It's stupid to refuse to consider millions of men just because you've known some bad ones of a particular race.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
whoa they walked up to u and asked ??? :o ...unacceptable

I thought interracial dating was common until a few weeks ago when I moved to Houston. We're the only mixed race couple in the entire subdivision. And I've been asked no less than 50 times whether or not my husband is black when I'm doing something simple like shopping at the grocery store. I can't believe people just come out and ask me when they see a ring on my finger. As if it's any of their business. Anyway, this is all to say that your perspective on interracial dating is largely influenced by the region in which you were raised.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

VanBuren Boys

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vanbBoys8
    • View Profile
I agree with scurvey about the environment thing.  There was like one black family in my town, so if any of their kids wanted to date, they had no choice but to go outside their race.  I think they turned out fine

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile

I thought interracial dating was common until a few weeks ago when I moved to Houston. We're the only mixed race couple in the entire subdivision. And I've been asked no less than 50 times whether or not my husband is black when I'm doing something simple like shopping at the grocery store. I can't believe people just come out and ask me when they see a ring on my finger. As if it's any of their business. Anyway, this is all to say that your perspective on interracial dating is largely influenced by the region in which you were raised.

Yeah, Scurvy, I don't understand why people would ask you that.  Why would they assume your husband wouldn't be black?  That's  weird and confusing.  ???

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
AMEN

Eh... doesn't really matter.  I will NEVER give up on black men, ....  It's stupid to refuse to consider millions of men just because you've known some bad ones of a particular race.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Well, I guess the part of town I'm in is so small and I definitely don't fit in appearance-wise that they all know I'm from out-of-town. So they ask what I'm doing here. I say law school. They ask if I'm working. I say no. They say, oh, is your husband black? Somebody even had the nerve to ask me how I felt having so many black people around. WTF is that?

VanBuren Boys

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vanbBoys8
    • View Profile

Well, I guess the part of town I'm in is so small and I definitely don't fit in appearance-wise that they all know I'm from out-of-town. So they ask what I'm doing here. I say law school. They ask if I'm working. I say no. They say, oh, is your husband black? Somebody even had the nerve to ask me how I felt having so many black people around. WTF is that?

welcome to texas

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
become a hermit like me..that way no one can ask you questions ;D.. just kidding sis..

seriously..that's trifling.. fortunately i haven't encountered many people out here that have been that inquisitive.. you're going to have to come out to the Cypress area in NW soon to get a different picture