Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Blackman's success increasing the likelyhood of him dating outside his race?  (Read 11724 times)

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
I didn't grow up in America so inter-racial dating is just a part of life to me. I think everybody's mixed to be honest with you.

where did u grow up, if you don't mind

Trinidad.

But you are black, we couldn't be if otherwise ;)

By the American definition, I'm black. But you know you're bending the rules babe  :-*
Who's your Daddy now?

John Galt

whatever, annabel, you a little asian ain't ya?

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
I didn't grow up in America so inter-racial dating is just a part of life to me. I think everybody's mixed to be honest with you.

where did u grow up, if you don't mind

Trinidad.

I understand that as far as dating between blacks and indians in Trinidad (even that is frowned upon there though, you have to admit), but blacks and whites is another step in its own right.  I'm from Barbados.

Well that's because there are so few whites in the first place. But, really, I don't think anyone cares anymore. So much 'mixing' has gone on.
Who's your Daddy now?

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
whatever, annabel, you a little asian ain't ya?

>:(

That's the ONE thing I'm not. Although, technically, Indians are Asians...but you know what I mean!!!
Who's your Daddy now?

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I thought interracial dating was common until a few weeks ago when I moved to Houston. We're the only mixed race couple in the entire subdivision. And I've been asked no less than 50 times whether or not my husband is black when I'm doing something simple like shopping at the grocery store. I can't believe people just come out and ask me when they see a ring on my finger. As if it's any of their business. Anyway, this is all to say that your perspective on interracial dating is largely influenced by the region in which you were raised.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile

I thought interracial dating was common until a few weeks ago when I moved to Houston. We're the only mixed race couple in the entire subdivision. And I've been asked no less than 50 times whether or not my husband is black when I'm doing something simple like shopping at the grocery store. I can't believe people just come out and ask me when they see a ring on my finger. As if it's any of their business. Anyway, this is all to say that your perspective on interracial dating is largely influenced by the region in which you were raised.

I went to San Francisco one weekend to visit my boyfriend and, when we went out to dinner, almost every couple I saw at the restaurant was inter-racial. Personally, I found it refreshing.
Who's your Daddy now?

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile

I went to San Francisco one weekend to visit my boyfriend and, when we went out to dinner, almost every couple I saw at the restaurant was inter-racial. Personally, I found it refreshing.

Hm...  I wouldn't say I find it "refreshing," but I have no problem with interracial couples.  I only have a problem if someone exclusively dates outside their race.  It seems like a pretty clear sign of self-hatred.

And just so you know, in SF the black women HAVE to date interracially because pretty much all the black men (and lots of the other men, too) are either gay or indigent.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
why completely forsake your old environment because you've risen above the past??

i guess what confuses me about this state of mind is this..

now i've made it and i'm surrounded by white people at the workplace... perhaps i should only associate with people that i work with...

i'm so fearful of going back to the past that i've let go of all of my former friends...

do you not realize that outside of your job there are a lot of  successful black men and women rising and attempting to rise to the top?

choosing to marry interracially isn't what makes a person a "sell out".. it's the mentality of forsaking and rejecting everything and everyone from their culture out of some sort of fear of failure due to association...

Now why is it that blackmen get a lot of flack from people as being sellouts, when all that happened was that they simply coalesced in their new environment. Its not like if they intentionally planned such, it just came with the new territory.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
Ah yes...let me weigh in on this one. 

So I arrived at law school last fall and I see a certain gentleman and all I could say was "WOW!"  Mr. WOW wasn't the best looking thing, but he was thin, smart, and charismatic.  A friend of mine knew that I had a crush on Mr. WOW and my friend said, "Don't waste your time...you are not the right color for him."  Yes, the majority of Mr. WOW's friend's were white...and he was well-respected in school...but I did not believe that he would be the type to exclude black women.

Well in March, Mr. WOW showed a little interest…but then nothing.  Then in April, Mr. WOW showed up to a school dance with a white woman.  I thought, “I guess my friend was right about Mr. WOW.”  But then in early May Mr. WOW said that he was interested in me and had been “crushin” for a while.  We talked, and decided to get to know each other.

Then in mid-June Mr. WOW shows up at the club (after saying he would be studying all night).  He proceeds to dance with a skanky looking white woman, and then comes over and whispers to me, “Don’t be spying on me.”  I was pissed and confused.  There is no way I need to spy on some man.

So we talked the next day and he said that my presence at the club made him “feel weird.”  Even though I was there first…and I found out that he (a 27 yo black man) has NEVER dated a black woman.  He said because “there really aren’t any around.”  Hmmm…didn’t quite get that one.  Educated black women OUTNUMBER educated black men. 

To sum it all up -- NO MORE BLACK MEN FOR ME.  I’m done.  The black men I want, black professionals, don’t want me.  I'm sick of playing this game...I’m expanding my horizons.

Don't give up on them just yet!  It's fine to be open to dating men of other races, but you can't swear off black men just because of one messed up brotha.  That's just silly.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
Ah yes...let me weigh in on this one. 

So I arrived at law school last fall and I see a certain gentleman and all I could say was "WOW!"  Mr. WOW wasn't the best looking thing, but he was thin, smart, and charismatic.  A friend of mine knew that I had a crush on Mr. WOW and my friend said, "Don't waste your time...you are not the right color for him."  Yes, the majority of Mr. WOW's friend's were white...and he was well-respected in school...but I did not believe that he would be the type to exclude black women.

Well in March, Mr. WOW showed a little interest…but then nothing.  Then in April, Mr. WOW showed up to a school dance with a white woman.  I thought, “I guess my friend was right about Mr. WOW.”  But then in early May Mr. WOW said that he was interested in me and had been “crushin” for a while.  We talked, and decided to get to know each other.

Then in mid-June Mr. WOW shows up at the club (after saying he would be studying all night).  He proceeds to dance with a skanky looking white woman, and then comes over and whispers to me, “Don’t be spying on me.”  I was pissed and confused.  There is no way I need to spy on some man.

So we talked the next day and he said that my presence at the club made him “feel weird.”  Even though I was there first…and I found out that he (a 27 yo black man) has NEVER dated a black woman.  He said because “there really aren’t any around.”  Hmmm…didn’t quite get that one.  Educated black women OUTNUMBER educated black men. 

To sum it all up -- NO MORE BLACK MEN FOR ME.  I’m done.  The black men I want, black professionals, don’t want me.  I'm sick of playing this game...I’m expanding my horizons.

Looks like you are about to become the female version of Mr. Wow then.  Good Riddance.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006