Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is minority outside of law school?  (Read 5033 times)

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is minority outside of law school?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2005, 06:59:55 AM »
I am not trying to spark another AA debate, this is not the AA board, afterall.
I am just curious as to others opinions in the matter.

I think that it seems that black people think that any one with lighter skin than them is white.

You're hilarious.

SkullTatt

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 06:34:55 PM »
Everyone freakin knows that today Greeks, Irish, Italians, Persians, Middle Easterners etc are considered white.

I don't think Arabs and Persians are considered white.

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2005, 11:38:44 PM »
Everyone freakin knows that today Greeks, Irish, Italians, Persians, Middle Easterners etc are considered white.

I don't think Arabs and Persians are considered white.

Yea, a lot of people would agree with you. Interestingly, you didn't mention that you do not consider Greeks nor Italians to be white....hmmm.....

Since you edited my comment, let it be noted that I followed that sentence with the statement "Sure, there are some WASPy folks (or even other folks for that matter) that would beg to differ, but to the average joe, if you don't *look* like a person of color, you basically default into the white category."

I understand where you are going with your point Bonkers... my point is that just on some basic job application where folks can only choose between white, black, latino, or asian/pacific islander, folks of Middle Eastern and Persians descent will mark down white.

cmedici

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - camila_de_medici
    • AOL Instant Messenger - c+of+dreams13
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2005, 12:58:29 AM »
Hey!  Ok...minorities are not only under-represented groups but they are also underpriviledged groups.  For example, GLSBT are minorities, African Americans, Latinos, and maybe some other underpriviledged and under-represented groups are too.  However, Jewish people are not considered minorities because, although they are few in number and are a small percentage of the population, they tend to be well off and are therefore not under-represented or under-priviledged.  Does that make sense?  I hope this helps!
UMD graduate 05
1st LSAT: Oct 1st 2005

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2005, 12:51:04 PM »
the person who started this thread is a troll; does anyone really think an employer would ask such an open-ended, ambiguous, politically charged question frought with uncertainty?

Employer: Oh you want to work here?
I'mVinny: Yes, I love to wash dishes!
Employer: Well, are you a minority?
I'mVinny: I dont know, let me ask the people that hate me on an anonymous message board what they think instead of asking you what a minority is.
Employer: Ok, ask an anonymous message board what they think instead of asking me what the definition of minority is.

I'm Vinny = Troll
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2005, 05:38:51 PM »
I am NOT a troll.

This really did happen. It was for a job at a temp place, and they just hand you the papers to fill out.

And I am only questioning others' perceptions, that's what life is about, just because you believe one thing does not necessarily make it true for anyone else in the world.

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2005, 05:27:58 PM »
I am NOT a troll.

Vinny's back!!!

How's it going Vinny? Long time no see. How's that Notre Dame app coming along?  :D
Who's your Daddy now?

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2005, 06:21:54 PM »
I am NOT a troll.

This really did happen. It was for a job at a temp place, and they just hand you the papers to fill out.

And I am only questioning others' perceptions, that's what life is about, just because you believe one thing does not necessarily make it true for anyone else in the world.

You are saying that an application asked, "Are you a minority?"

Listen to yourself, and you will be annoyed.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2005, 10:01:39 PM »
REad what I wrote, I said the application asked what race I am, anyways foget about it.

The Notre Dame app is going pretty well. I have everything ready, just kinda scared to actually let it go, lol, but that's all right. One of my recommenders, my ethics Prof is on some kinda of ethics things at ND with some of the law school profs and he is trying to put good words in for me when he can, also he knows people from Ave Maria and will try to tell people there too. I am soo happy about that, he's such a nice person!!
Also, he wants me to apply to Catholic, but I don't knwo yet. Apps are way to expensice for me. But we;ll see .

j.rosh

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2005, 12:52:36 AM »
does anyone really think an employer would ask such an open-ended, ambiguous, politically charged question frought with uncertainty?

Employer: Oh you want to work here?
I'mVinny: Yes, I love to wash dishes!
Employer: Well, are you a minority?
I'mVinny: I dont know, let me ask the people that hate me on an anonymous message board what they think instead of asking you what a minority is.
Employer: Ok, ask an anonymous message board what they think instead of asking me what the definition of minority is.

ROFLMFAO!
Glad you're back Vinny!  :D :D