Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is minority outside of law school?  (Read 4622 times)

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
Re: What is minority outside of law school?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 03:31:52 PM »
A. not to nit pick, but whatyoudreamof siad "in some circles" non-WASPs are minorities.

B. I highly doubt that an application asks "Are you a minority?"  Vinny is prolly just trying to spark another AA debate.

C. Greeks and Italians are considered white where I am from.
HTH

My bad. Totally misread that post. Thanks for the help.

j.rosh

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 08:01:04 PM »
I was just wondering about the job interview that you spoke of in your OP.  I thought that job applications weren't supposed to ask of personal information that employers aren't entitled to have, like sex, religion, and age.  I thought that type of info was to be given only if voluntarily and is separate from the actual application  ???
If that's right, and I think it is, you really don't need to worry about answering that question.

"this has nothing to do with law school, but I was wondering, outside of law school admissions etc. What is a minority? Is it ONLY black, hispanic, american indian? Or, are others included like Arab, Asian, italian, Greek, Irish, etc? ANY others? I am just wondering for purposes of filling out a form for ,y job interview. Does anybody know?"

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 08:18:30 PM »
I was just wondering about the job interview that you spoke of in your OP.  I thought that job applications weren't supposed to ask of personal information that employers aren't entitled to have, like sex, religion, and age.  I thought that type of info was to be given only if voluntarily and is separate from the actual application  ???
If that's right, and I think it is, you really don't need to worry about answering that question.

"this has nothing to do with law school, but I was wondering, outside of law school admissions etc. What is a minority? Is it ONLY black, hispanic, american indian? Or, are others included like Arab, Asian, italian, Greek, Irish, etc? ANY others? I am just wondering for purposes of filling out a form for ,y job interview. Does anybody know?"

I think you're right.  Asking such questions for employment-hiring purposes is illegal under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, I think.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

j.rosh

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2005, 08:27:55 PM »
Yeah, I thought so-that's why I asked Vinny what type of job it was, unless... 

XYZZY

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2005, 09:52:35 PM »
it's quite common to ask for race/sex.  two applications/interviews i had this week asked for race/sex, but they use the data for competition on government contracts.

j.rosh

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2005, 10:11:04 PM »
Oh.  Did they just ask, or did they tell you that giving that info is not necessary?  I know on some job applications I filled out in the past, they would have a separate section from the application and always stated that giving personal info is only voluntary.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2005, 12:03:45 AM »
Well, they didn't really say it was optional, they had just handed me the forms and said fill out this stuff, It was for a temp place.

I had that section on my app to work for fed gov too, but I think it did say optional on it, butI can't remember.

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2005, 01:03:22 AM »

I think that it seems that black people think that any one with lighter skin than them is white.

Uhhhh, there are *also* a lot of white people who think that anyone with "light" skin is white, for example many latinos or persians. From my expereinces, I've seen that a lot of black people can also quite easily tell when someone else is black or white, even if that other person is of a lighter skin complexion.

Vinny, this question is retarded... when did you become so confused about your ethnic/racial classification? It's not like it's 1908 and you just got in at Ellis Island or something. Everyone freakin knows that today Greeks, Irish, Italians, Persians, Middle Easterners etc are considered white. Sure, there are some WASPy folks (or even other folks for that matter) that would beg to differ, but to the average joe, if you don't *look* like a person of color, you basically default into the white category.

If you don't feel like you're white, then leave it blank or check other.  Or yea, put down on every job app that you are Greek - whoopteedoo....the employer will come to their own conlusions. At the end of the day, I'm sure no one at work really cares, and all that matters is that you get paid.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2005, 11:36:30 AM »
Well, of course all that matters is getting paid, right? No...  I really beg to differ on this one, but I don't want to get into a long argument. I have better things to do.

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2005, 12:57:27 AM »
I really beg to differ on this one, but I don't want to get into a long argument. I have better things to do.

Weak....