Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Typical costs of 1st year fall semester books  (Read 1683 times)

williamgazillion

• View Profile
Typical costs of 1st year fall semester books
« on: July 25, 2005, 07:10:51 PM »
I refuse to believe the estimated cost of books per semester is $500.  Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

be10dwn

Re: Typical costs of 1st year fall semester books
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 07:13:58 PM »
I refuse to believe the estimated cost of books per semester is $500.  Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

Keep refusing....

williamgazillion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:20:27 PM »
damn.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 07:20:56 PM »
$500 sounds about right.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

LaneSwerver

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 07:23:54 PM »
Yup. Mine are $1k on the year.

be10dwn

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 07:25:38 PM »
On the positive side, at least in 1l you get to use some of the books for both semesters, at least at my school.

eem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 07:30:59 PM »
I just bought mine today and spent $630 (and there is one that is not out yet, so that will be another $40 or so). I only bought the required books, not any of the ones that were just recommended--I figure I will be able to determine pretty quickly whether or not I'll need those once classes start.  I was able to get about half of them used...had I bought them all new, it would have been at least $150 more.  I probably could have gotten some of them cheaper by buying used books on amazon or abebooks, but I was nervous about buying used books sight unseen (other people's writing/highlighting drives me nuts).  On the flip side, probably about half of these books are ones I will be using all year, so I don't expect book costs to be so high next semester.  If you are going to buy used online, I would do so soon, as it looks like things are starting to get picked over.  

williamgazillion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 07:54:52 PM »
I just realized there's a thread about this same topic some time ago.

I don't know if I can get by buying used books- especially since I'll be reading them this time around.   :P

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 12:20:59 PM »
I bought about half of my books on Amazon (some new, some used)and the rest on half.com - and I bought both the required books as well as the recommended ones.  14 books total for the first semester. 

I only spent about $250 because of being willing to go with used books.  I only bought new books when they were no used ones available.  I didn't go for the cheapest used books either (you know, the ones in terrible shape - with destroyed covers and filled with highlighting).  I only picked ones that said minimal highlighting/writing or like-new condition (but picked the cheapest of these).  I am very pleased with the condition of all of them!  One of the books was only $1 plus shipping - and it literally looks brand new!! 

If you are willing to look for a bargain, you can find one!

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 02:21:32 PM »
I went with used, only dropped 400. Of course, after the supplmentals and a BLL dictionary, it'll be 500+

One semester of undergrad usually was 500 or so for books, so this isn't too bad.