Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Protesting Elitism and Snobbery on LSD: Please Read  (Read 4035 times)

eray01

Protesting Elitism and Snobbery on LSD: Please Read
« on: July 25, 2005, 04:25:55 AM »
Fah-Q

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Protesting Elitism and Snobbery on LSD: Please Read
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 04:51:51 AM »
This is an important message that I have put alot of thought into. If you take the time to read this, I appreciate you:

After nearly ten years of desire to be a lawyer, I applied to law school blissfully unaware of the rankings. I chose schools based on criteria I thoughtfully developed, and I put together a great list of schools to apply to. I wanted intimacy, collegiality, modern facilities, approachable faculty, affordable region with a high standard of living, and a host of other qualities I considered important. I was elated when I was accepted to my first choice, my dream school according to my criteria. My parent's were extremely proud of me, and I was so happy to finally make them proud considering that I had been trouble to raise. My father cried giving a speech in front of about fifty people at a congratulatory party in my honor.

And then I discovered this site. At first I found it helpful, mostly civil and sometimes funny. However, I became concerned one night after reading posts about the non-existent job opportunities for third and fourth tier students (actual words) and watching phrases like "third-tier toilet" get thrown around. That's when I made my biggest mistake. I looked up the dream school that I had been accepted to in the USNWR rankings. Oh my God! It is in the Fourth tier. My self-esteem has taken a bit of a shelling, and continues to do so when I read derogatory comments on this site about low ranked schools. Just as soon as I thought I had finally broken through to success after years of difficulty and toil, I've begun to question my worth among achieving individuals. What's worse is a "know-it-all because I'm married to one" lawyer-wife friend of my mom's tipped my parents off to the ranking bullsh-t. Once proud, they now have an aura of disappointment in their words. I'm sure there are other posters on this site who can relate to this, or can understand what I'm talking about. The bottom line is that no matter how bad the reputation of a school may be, or how much it deserves the low ranking it has, there are students at those schools and on this board who have worked hard to be there and are working hard to stay there, and I am offended on behalf of all of them by the kind of snobbery displayed on occasion both here and on a few of the blogs I've read.

I've been shocked to discover how disgustingly elitist this profession, or at least the law school phase of the profession, really is. I'm really disappointed that this elitism has been largely driven by a corporate effort to sell more magazines, and we perpetuate it and inflict it on each other with terms like "third-tier toilet". I guess I'm getting my first taste of the dissonance that comes when one's profession clashes with their personal values and ethics as lawyers apparently are so accustomed too.

So here's how I intend to take my personal stand. Over the next few days, I will be removing all of my posts off of this site. I will be monitoring this thread only, because I am interested to see what people have to say. But, after this thread dies, my LSD days are over. I intend to wake up tomorrow morning, and reclaim the sense of pride and accomplishment that came in that large white envelope. Yeah, you know the envelope I'm talking about. I refuse to feel like the law school world's version of the redneck cousin who shows up at the black-tie wedding wearing his best jeans carrying a six pack of Natural Light. Finally, Don't bother posting if you intend to respond to this by flaming or with phrases like, "I love to hear the fourth tier students whine," or "Ahh, the lament of a fourth tier student." Let's not continue to engage in the cyberworld's version of the kind of anonymous disrespect often seen from those who cowardly road-rage from behind the protective anonymity of their four-walled moving vehicles.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading this. I appreciate your time.

Congratulations on your acceptance.

It is true that the legal profession is elitist, but I think it might be more correct to say that a portion of the legal profession is elitist. Unsurprisingly, this is the portion that is primarly concerned with money and high-profile (read large corporate) clients. If this does not concern you, and you only ask for the chance to make a decent living doing what you like, then don't worry. If you work hard you will accomplish that.
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

najniran

• AOL Instant Messenger - najniran
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 05:02:19 AM »
Yeah, theres a bunch of pricks on LSD. Myself included.

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 06:07:36 AM »
yeah yeah there are hordes of ignoble confused bombastic twenty year olds on this site that preach a lot of derogatory / inflammatory / condescending / vitriolic rhetoric - but really man you're going to be a lawyer and you're headed for a pretty damn tough arena and if you don't grow some thicker skin you're going to be eaten alive... if the words of abstract, anonymous, avatar defined entities pockmarked by the hubris of immaturity bother you i think that maybe you might be headed for some sort of ugly head-on collision with reality - something along the lines of out of the frying pan in the fire might be apropos. your pride, your happiness, they have to come from within first; you cannot always rely upon external, extraneous factors to define that which you feel is most important. you were accepted into your dream school. congratulations. end of story, as far as i'm concerned. perturbations as small as these (i.e the ones generated by lawschooldiscussion) should not be allowed to overwhelm the force of your convictions ...

anyway, don't remove yourself from this site, use it as a means of "toughening up" a little bit - keep your mind flexible for law school, and once there embrace the opportunity and put your mind wholeheartedly into the task at hand ....   
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

dunson

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 08:07:18 AM »
lattter loser

anyone who tttakes ttthis sittte ttto hearttt is obviously a festttering fourttth tttier tttoilettt in decline

enjoy cooley

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 08:21:05 AM »
op, just relax.  feel free to reject anything here that you like.  if whatever's left illuminates your path in some way, then take advantage of it.

and try to get more fiber.

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 09:12:50 AM »
OP - I wouldn't worry about it too much, there's always going to be people telling you what you can or can't accomplish. And it's easy for people to snipe behind anonymous usernames. As for people who say you can/can't get a job from a 2nd/3rd/4th tier school, i wouldn't even worry about it. We haven't even enrolled yet and we're already prejudging our ability to get jobs based on reputations.

I believe if I work hard and put out good work, i'll be rewarded appropriately. Just as an example, I went to Michigan State U for undergrad. This school has a "party" reputation or a "riot school" rep, based on who you ask. I did pretty well and got 3 job offers right after i started seriously looking for a job (after i took the LSAT). My friend who went to an elite private school in the east, i won't say which, got NO job offers until October. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just work hard and bust your a.ss. Make opportunities for yourself, and prove everyone wrong.

ButteredToast

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 10:13:59 AM »
I was elated when I was accepted to my first choice, my dream school according to my criteria. My parent's were extremely proud of me, and I was so happy to finally make them proud considering that I had been trouble to raise. My father cried giving a speech in front of about fifty people at a congratulatory party in my honor.

And then I discovered this site. At first I found it helpful, mostly civil and sometimes funny. However, I became concerned one night after reading posts about the non-existent job opportunities for third and fourth tier students (actual words) and watching phrases like "third-tier toilet" get thrown around. That's when I made my biggest mistake. I looked up the dream school that I had been accepted to in the USNWR rankings. Oh my God! It is in the Fourth tier.

My self-esteem has taken a bit of a shelling, and continues to do so when I read derogatory comments on this site about low ranked schools. Just as soon as I thought I had finally broken through to success after years of difficulty and toil, I've begun to question my worth among achieving individuals. What's worse is a "know-it-all because I'm married to one" lawyer-wife friend of my mom's tipped my parents off to the ranking bullsh-t. Once proud, they now have an aura of disappointment in their words. I'm sure there are other posters on this site who can relate to this, or can understand what I'm talking about.

I definitely understand your frustration; I feel it from time to time here, too, b/c I'm sure my T2 school is considered third tier toilet by some people. However, ALL schools are pretty much ripped to shreds on these sites (see xoxohth, where NU or Texas are considered third tier toilet; or don't see it, b/c it's way more snobby than this site). You just have to pick the school that's right for you and ignore that stuff (or "check out" for peace of mind, like you're doing).

By the way, one thing that will ease your concerns a bit is www.martindale.com. Go check out where graduates of your school have ended up... They've certainly been employed SOMEWHERE. I like to go to that site from time to time with a name I've read about in the media...  MANY successful attorneys have come out of lower T1 through T4 programs.

And I'm sure your parents aren't any less proud of you. Don't be any less proud of yourself.

EDIT: The "know-it-all" wife is probably just riding her husband's coattails to some sort of imagined elitism anyway, so who gives a *&^% what she thinks... I'm sure that her husband, who may work with or for graduates of all sorts of law schools, and who is aware that programs are pretty strenuous everywhere, wouldn't be so disrespectful.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 10:45:59 AM »
Part of the reason that the rankings are so popular is that those in our drive-thru, MTV, PS2 culture are usually too damn lazy to try and get any REAL info about the schools  on our own.  We therefore rely on someone else to do it for us.  (Same thing with entertainment - not smart enough to do it ourselves, so we sit in front of the TV.)

The other thing is that those who are not happy with what's within themselves need to rank and quantify externals in order to feel good about themselves.  (These are the people who were the first to buy flat panel TV's and who buy a new car every 2 years)  Those who may be more grounded are able to look more objectively about what they have and what they want. 

Halfway into this process, I realized that I wanted more than anything to stay in WI and be there for my aging parents and see my little nephew grow up.  I also wanted to keep m loans down.  Despite having a "ranking" that some of you may laugh at, I am thrilled that I got into Wisconsin and was jumping for joy when I got that phone call.

Be yourself and be happy with who you are.  Ignore your detractors here, for in your real life, they mean nothing.  Best of luck Eddie!

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 12:07:53 PM »
I try to stay away from the negativity on this board -- there are plenty of friendly people.

As for your parents -- look, I have fair-weather parents too, so I understand. It's sad, they're supposed to be proud of you and now they act like this?

The bottom line is you do things in your life to please you (and or your wife and kids, if applicable.) What everyone else thinks of your decisions is far less important than how you feel about your choices.

-- The Dr. DB show.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php