Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer from Thomas Cooley to Michigan?  (Read 2400 times)

mpete80

• Ave Maria Class of 2007
    • MSN Messenger - uofm97@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Transfer from Thomas Cooley to Michigan?
« on: June 15, 2004, 05:51:50 PM »
I have 7 years of work experience and just decided in April to go to law school. I missed most schools deadlines. I have a 2.85 GPA from Michigan and I am a Michigan resident. I took the June LSAT. My thoughts are to go to Cooley for a year and transfer to Michigan. I know that i must be 10% in my class to be considered. Do I have a chance to get in? I don't want to apply to Michigan for next year because my 2.85 won't cut it. If I do really well at Cooley will I have a chance?

thechoson

Re: Transfer from Thomas Cooley to Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 06:07:07 PM »
I have 7 years of work experience and just decided in April to go to law school. I missed most schools deadlines. I have a 2.85 GPA from Michigan and I am a Michigan resident. I took the June LSAT. My thoughts are to go to Cooley for a year and transfer to Michigan. I know that i must be 10% in my class to be considered. Do I have a chance to get in? I don't want to apply to Michigan for next year because my 2.85 won't cut it. If I do really well at Cooley will I have a chance?

I seriously doubt even if you were top 10 percent from Cooley, you could get in.  Coming from such a lower ranked law school, Michigan might at least want you to have been within some kind of shouting distance of being a freshman admit, but your GPA doesn't cut it.

I say contact Michigan and look into their transfer policies, but it doesn't look good.

Ginatio

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 06:09:41 PM »
I remember Lavia saying something about a friend of hers transferring from Cooley to UM after a year. might want to search the boards or private message her.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 06:39:17 PM »
did you ace the june LSAT?

if you did, then you should probably be able to get into michigan.

apply for fall 2005, you may have a fighting chance.

LSAT is the great equalizer.