Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for applicants  (Read 679 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Question for applicants
« on: July 24, 2005, 08:15:11 PM »
It seems like there are hundreds of websites and books regarding the law school admissions process, yet hundreds of people keep asking the same questions over and over on this site.  There are resources that list the 25th/75th percentile for all the schools, but I keep seeing threads that ask "what are my chances?" based solely on numbers.

Can you all post the resources you can use for this info?  I will compile it in another thread so that people can find the info more easily.

A couple good ones:

www.lsac.org
www.usnews.com

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Question for applicants
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 10:10:50 PM »
Best site ever for asking "what are my chances" kinds of questions:

http://www.mattelgamefinder.com/demos.asp?demo=mb

kernelgt

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 01:22:28 AM »

I call bull.  I just asked if Britney Spears would give me a blowjob...my answer "Signs point to yes." 

bloomich

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 07:45:21 AM »

I call bull.  I just asked if Britney Spears would give me a blowjob...my answer "Signs point to yes." 

she has been losing steam the past few years... this seems plausible

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 09:09:50 AM »

Oh, ye of little faith...

jhare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 12:39:02 PM »
One thing I have not been able to find is something that takes into account where you went to school for undergrad. Does it matter? How much?

And there are people who have numbers that don't fit the normal profile. Like me.

In my case it doesn't matter too much, as I already know where I'll be applying, but it would be nice to have an idea of chances. And for other people who have numbers that don't look like the norm, it might be important to get feedback from people who know how the process works.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 02:32:59 PM »
One thing I have not been able to find is something that takes into account where you went to school for undergrad. Does it matter? How much?

And there are people who have numbers that don't fit the normal profile. Like me.

In my case it doesn't matter too much, as I already know where I'll be applying, but it would be nice to have an idea of chances. And for other people who have numbers that don't look like the norm, it might be important to get feedback from people who know how the process works.

They cannot design an engin to take into account minor factors, and where you went to undergrad is truely a minor factor to the committee (from what we can tell).

What I do wish they would show however is URM and non URM.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 02:36:18 PM »
I agree on the URM/non-URM thing.  It sure would help.  I am not in any way saying "don't ask", I am just trying to collect some resource info so those who want an idea based strictly on numbers can stop posting over and over. Since I got in off of "soft factors", I understand their importance (or lack of importance for some)

dunson

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 03:41:30 PM »
many people either don't look on their own first or are expecting a different answer. i think most are in the latter party.  however, they fail to realize that most of the answers are generated by those who have looked at those resources and are just regurgitating the information (perhaps with a bit of anecdotal evidence). 

jhare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 06:45:21 PM »
Oh, I think it's a good idea to have links to all the calculators, resources, etc., in one thread. And I definitely agree that most people either don't bother to research or are hoping to hear something different and more optimistic than what the calculators are telling them.