;

Author Topic: Desks  (Read 1409 times)

najniran

• AOL Instant Messenger - najniran
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Desks
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 11:24:14 AM »
I got a desk very much like what you described from Walmart last fall for $20.  The build quality isn't quite as good as my Ikea furniture, but it's not bad either.  If you anticipate using it for a while, I'd go the Ikea route.

-Ty

Tyler is right. Check out Walmart/Target. They have large, sturdy folding tables that are perfect for a lot less than Ikea.

Side Note: While a lot of Ikea stuf is great NEVER, EVER TAKE SOMETHING FROM IKEA APART- IT WILL NEVER REASSEMBLE PROPERLY.

Eh...my Jerker reassembled quite nicely.

kerouacbum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 11:25:30 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys, the IKEA route seems like a solid one. There's another desk called the Mikeal that I just found, it's only $50 but a tad smaller than the Jerker. Guess I'll have to check them out in person.

Jebber

• Sr. Citizen
  • Git-R-Done!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 11:30:28 AM »
I got a desk very much like what you described from Walmart last fall for $20.  The build quality isn't quite as good as my Ikea furniture, but it's not bad either.  If you anticipate using it for a while, I'd go the Ikea route.

-Ty

Tyler is right. Check out Walmart/Target. They have large, sturdy folding tables that are perfect for a lot less than Ikea.

Side Note: While a lot of Ikea stuf is great NEVER, EVER TAKE SOMETHING FROM IKEA APART- IT WILL NEVER REASSEMBLE PROPERLY.

Eh...my Jerker reassembled quite nicely.

Maybe the desks are ok. I've just had terrible luck with beds and bookcases.
2.78 (McGill), 158
ATTENDING: Franklin Pierce

"Concord or Bust(y)!"

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 11:32:13 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys, the IKEA route seems like a solid one. There's another desk called the Mikeal that I just found, it's only $50 but a tad smaller than the Jerker. Guess I'll have to check them out in person.

I don't like the Mikeal as much as the Jerker. I found it less sturdy, weird tools, and harder to put together. I'm really pro-Jerker.

Also, I disassembled and reassembled an entire house full of Ikea furniture for my move. It was really simple to put back togethere. No problems here--just save your tools!

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 11:38:52 AM »
My daughter has the IKEA Tromso loft bed with a desk under it.  Since her bedroom is small, this bed is perfect.  We bought it in Germany and moved it here with us.  It reassembled beautifully.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 03:28:41 PM »

I don't like the Mikeal as much as the Jerker. I found it less sturdy, weird tools, and harder to put together. I'm really pro-Jerker.

That's really lovely. Jerkers need support, too!!
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

polyhymnia23

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - polyhymnia23
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 08:27:28 AM »
You could always look at Staples too. I looked for weeks for a new "classy" desk, something that I could used when I graduated, ect. It was $300 but totally worth it. It's cherry with brass hardware, has enough space to store things, and a huge top. I haven't started school yet, but I love it.

be10dwn

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 09:24:59 AM »
What sucks is that we are just getting an Ikea here in Dallas that my wife and I have been anticipating for weeks and it opens the day we are moving  :-\.  The only time I have ever been to one was in Germany.  It was pretty cool but everything was in German so I couldn't read the descriptions.  The pictures were nice thoughv  :)

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 10:13:48 AM »
I bought a great desk from Office Depot online.  They were also having a sale, so I also got a free file cabinet.  The total was $99 and free shipping.  I ordered on Friday and the desk was delivered on Monday!
Think before you speak.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 10:20:14 AM »
Go to Ikea. They Sell a really simple, yet really nice (and somewhat large) desk called the Jerker. I'm not kidding you. The Desk is called "Jerker". Anyways, I bought one for $79 bucks two years ago and I love it.

Don't forget the chair.