Law School Discussion

Desks

Re: Desks
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 08:24:14 AM »
I got a desk very much like what you described from Walmart last fall for $20.  The build quality isn't quite as good as my Ikea furniture, but it's not bad either.  If you anticipate using it for a while, I'd go the Ikea route.

-Ty

Tyler is right. Check out Walmart/Target. They have large, sturdy folding tables that are perfect for a lot less than Ikea.

Side Note: While a lot of Ikea stuf is great NEVER, EVER TAKE SOMETHING FROM IKEA APART- IT WILL NEVER REASSEMBLE PROPERLY.

Eh...my Jerker reassembled quite nicely.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 08:25:30 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys, the IKEA route seems like a solid one. There's another desk called the Mikeal that I just found, it's only $50 but a tad smaller than the Jerker. Guess I'll have to check them out in person.

Jebber

• Git-R-Done!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 08:30:28 AM »
I got a desk very much like what you described from Walmart last fall for $20.  The build quality isn't quite as good as my Ikea furniture, but it's not bad either.  If you anticipate using it for a while, I'd go the Ikea route.

-Ty

Tyler is right. Check out Walmart/Target. They have large, sturdy folding tables that are perfect for a lot less than Ikea.

Side Note: While a lot of Ikea stuf is great NEVER, EVER TAKE SOMETHING FROM IKEA APART- IT WILL NEVER REASSEMBLE PROPERLY.

Eh...my Jerker reassembled quite nicely.

Maybe the desks are ok. I've just had terrible luck with beds and bookcases.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 08:32:13 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys, the IKEA route seems like a solid one. There's another desk called the Mikeal that I just found, it's only $50 but a tad smaller than the Jerker. Guess I'll have to check them out in person.

I don't like the Mikeal as much as the Jerker. I found it less sturdy, weird tools, and harder to put together. I'm really pro-Jerker.

Also, I disassembled and reassembled an entire house full of Ikea furniture for my move. It was really simple to put back togethere. No problems here--just save your tools!

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 08:38:52 AM »
My daughter has the IKEA Tromso loft bed with a desk under it.  Since her bedroom is small, this bed is perfect.  We bought it in Germany and moved it here with us.  It reassembled beautifully.

[img width= height= alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/twarga/bed.jpg[/img]

legalkitty

• The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 12:28:41 PM »

I don't like the Mikeal as much as the Jerker. I found it less sturdy, weird tools, and harder to put together. I'm really pro-Jerker.

That's really lovely. Jerkers need support, too!!

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 05:27:28 AM »
You could always look at Staples too. I looked for weeks for a new "classy" desk, something that I could used when I graduated, ect. It was $300 but totally worth it. It's cherry with brass hardware, has enough space to store things, and a huge top. I haven't started school yet, but I love it.

be10dwn

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 06:24:59 AM »
What sucks is that we are just getting an Ikea here in Dallas that my wife and I have been anticipating for weeks and it opens the day we are moving  :-\.  The only time I have ever been to one was in Germany.  It was pretty cool but everything was in German so I couldn't read the descriptions.  The pictures were nice thoughv  :)

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 07:13:48 AM »
I bought a great desk from Office Depot online.  They were also having a sale, so I also got a free file cabinet.  The total was $99 and free shipping.  I ordered on Friday and the desk was delivered on Monday!

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 07:20:14 AM »
Go to Ikea. They Sell a really simple, yet really nice (and somewhat large) desk called the Jerker. I'm not kidding you. The Desk is called "Jerker". Anyways, I bought one for $79 bucks two years ago and I love it.

Don't forget the chair.