Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US Senator makes racist statement in his memoirs  (Read 854 times)

jazz

• View Profile
US Senator makes racist statement in his memoirs
« on: July 22, 2005, 09:11:57 PM »
No surprise he is an ex-KKK member from West Virginia

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20050721-115719-6891r.htm

Mr. Byrd embraced the same judicial philosophy as the president in his memoir, "Child of the Appalachian Coalfields," released earlier this summer. In the book, he repeatedly blamed "liberal judges" and "activist judges" for many of the nation's problems.

"One's life is probably in no greater danger in the jungles of deepest Africa than in the jungles of America's large cities," he writes. "In my judgment, much of the problem has been brought about by the mollycoddling of criminals by some of the liberal judges who have been placed on the nation's courts in recent years."

Mr. Byrd essentially endorsed Mr. Bush's primary stated strategy for picking Judge Roberts and other judicial nominees. "The high court's share of the responsibility for our increasing lawlessness lies in two areas -- its zeal for bringing about precipitous social change, and its overconcern for the rights of criminals and its underconcern for the rights and safety of society," he writes.

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: US Senator makes racist statement in his memoirs
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 09:16:02 PM »
Not quite sure how that statement is racist, friend.  You sure you're not just being hyper-sensitive?
You are not your job.

be10dwn

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 09:29:58 PM »
Didn't seem too racist to me unless you are saying it is racist to say bad things about criminals.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 11:38:53 PM »
I don't see any racism here either, though I disagree with Sen. Byrd's larger point.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 12:01:36 AM »
Do not know why he used Africa though?  Sounds like a London problem.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

YoungIke

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 08:08:11 AM »
Not a racist comment, however we do know that Bird is a racist democrat who just never left the party after the Nixon shift. He used Africa, because Africa is known for having jungles that haven't been messed over by the people. Also, most sane folks don't want liberal or conservative activist, just interpret the constitution and leave your own beliefs out of it. The constitution is fine without the court adding to it. That is the Congresses job.

BigMix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 02:45:14 PM »
Oh he hates liberal and activist judges, well maybe if the conservative judges were honest to acknowledge a racial problem in the country, and rule accordingly in relation to civil rights, affirmative action, educational funding, health care etc they would have still been in power and happily applauded.

but its just like conservatives who judge the prosperity of a nation, based on their eurocentric experience.

sad to say, but I prefer not being lynchable in 21st century America than 1950's America.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »
Definately not racist sounding to me. It just seems that he is mad that people seem to care more about criminals' rights then the fact that they ARE criminals!