Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hustle & Flow (the movie)  (Read 3669 times)

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hustle & Flow (the movie)
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2005, 11:06:07 AM »
Sorry to hijack this thread and start talking about crash. 
On the subject of Hustle & Flow, have not seen it but want to.  I liked Terrence Howard in Crash and the preview looks great.

Don't waste your money. A very pathetic attempt to be a meaningful movie.

I completely agree with you.  I do think people should go see it, but I think far too many people were uncritical of the movie because it was one of the few movies coming out of hollywood that deals with race and racism directly.  It was almost as if it was taboo to think ill of it.  I thought it was way too melodramatic (with too much use of violins and other cues telling me when to cry or gasp).  I also had a very difficult time caring what happened to any of the characters because they were all so one-dimensional.  Characters were basically stereotypes of themselves.  I love A.O. Scott's (NY Times) review.  He says something like, "Every character in this movie is multidimensional: they each have exactly two sides."  And the dialogue was soooo preachy.  The characters seemed less like human beings and more like characters in an allegory; rather than having their own, authentic voices, they are mouthpieces for the writer's views and opinions.  All in all, there were some really great performances, and I think the intent of the movie was good, but the method was somewhat clunky and I am still unsure what the message was (unless the goal of the movie was solely exposition).  Most importantly, I do not want people, and particularly white people, seeing this movie and thinking they "get" race in America.  If you like morality tales where characters serve a function and communicate a message, then you'll probably enjoy this movie.  But if you like realism (which I think people without prior consciousness of race issues might mistake this moving for having), then this is not the movie for you.  But I still think it's worth the ticket!

Read the A.O. Scott review.  I think it's brilliant: http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=301205
full review: http://movies2.nytimes.com/mem/movies/review.html?title1=Crash%20%28Movie%29&title2=Crash%20%28Movie%29&reviewer=A%2e%20O%2e%20Scott&pdate=20050506&v_id=301205

I didn't think of it that way at all. I thought each actor's storyline was one side to the main character which was racism/bigotry. Thinking of it that way (which I often do), the development of the characters seemed just fine and worked quite well for me.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2005, 08:04:50 AM »
One of the best movies of the year. I think people need to lighten up. The movie was funny and it was real. I know many uppity Negroes who won't go see it, but it didn't offend me, and it really humbled me to remember back to my youth when things weren't all sweat and the music is all we had to express our selves. You know me, I also analyzed it also. It is amazing how southern music is so edgy and strong as opposed to other regional styles of hip hop. I see this coming from the southern environment of knowing your place and not getting out of line, and the music is a way to push out that aggression towards the system. Also I looked at why southern music is so degrading to women but that is a new thread that I will have to start.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2005, 10:15:09 AM »
One of the best movies of the year. I think people need to lighten up. The movie was funny and it was real. I know many uppity Negroes who won't go see it, but it didn't offend me, and it really humbled me to remember back to my youth when things weren't all sweat and the music is all we had to express our selves. You know me, I also analyzed it also. It is amazing how southern music is so edgy and strong as opposed to other regional styles of hip hop. I see this coming from the southern environment of knowing your place and not getting out of line, and the music is a way to push out that aggression towards the system. Also I looked at why southern music is so degrading to women but that is a new thread that I will have to start.

I strongly dislike Southern rap.  Not only is it misogynistic, it's just wack-sounding.  It sounds animalistic to me (except for some of the smoother artists like some of the ATL crew.)  It's too bad, too, because I'm a South-enthusiast on virtually every other point.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2005, 11:45:15 AM »
call me uppity then.. i'm not about to pay for a movie or a cd where the words b*tch or hoe refer to women...

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2005, 11:51:09 AM »
call me uppity then.. i'm not about to pay for a movie or a cd where the words b*tch or hoe refer to women...

And you shouldn't but In order to be able to intellegently object to a topic I believe you need to have a deeper understanding of the issue.

PS.. nice avatar  ;)

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2005, 11:51:33 AM »

But you'll pay for that R Kelly "feeling on your boooohoootieeeeeeeee"  ;)
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2005, 11:55:22 AM »

;D

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2005, 12:00:48 PM »
nope.. i'll pay for Just like that by R Kelly and skip right over that darn ;)...

Ike thanks for the compliment.. but i have to disagree with your statement... a person can completely object to a topic without trying to gain an "understanding" of why... in the matter of calling a woman out of her name there is no upbringing that justifies those actions....

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2005, 12:05:15 PM »
nope.. i'll pay for Just like that by R Kelly and skip right over that darn ;)...

Ike thanks for the compliment.. but i have to disagree with your statement... a person can completely object to a topic without trying to gain an "understanding" of why... in the matter of calling a woman out of her name there is no upbringing that justifies those actions....

But you'll pay for that R Kelly "feeling on your boooohoootieeeeeeeee"  ;)

I agree, I just like to discuss these topics and bring them to the light and I believe movies like this get people who wouldn't normally know the issues of the black community ask questions. However, to further agree with you, sometimes movies like these can cause back lash such as glorification and stereotyping.