Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hustle & Flow (the movie)  (Read 3532 times)

faith2005

Re: Hustle & Flow (the movie)
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2005, 10:28:49 AM »
yeah, i know. it threw me off the first few times too. i was like, wait, claire, who is that again? huh? lol  ???  :D

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2005, 10:33:06 AM »
Dang it.  Okay, I'll try to think of a new screenname.  Claire's my favorite Huxtable!  I guess could be Sandra...she was also a lawyer. :D

seu2002

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2005, 10:43:31 AM »
oh i dont care woman!  its just odd to call you claire.  i know too many claires...  maybe.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2005, 11:27:32 AM »
 :D

oh i dont care woman!  its just odd to call you claire.  i know too many claires...  maybe.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2005, 11:15:18 PM »
Dang it.  Okay, I'll try to think of a new screenname.  Claire's my favorite Huxtable!  I guess could be Sandra...she was also a lawyer. :D

come up with something else

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2005, 10:13:46 AM »

come up with something else

I will when you change your avatar

kermit

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2005, 10:31:25 AM »
Sorry to hijack this thread and start talking about crash. 
On the subject of Hustle & Flow, have not seen it but want to.  I liked Terrence Howard in Crash and the preview looks great.

Don't waste your money. A very pathetic attempt to be a meaningful movie.

I completely agree with you.  I do think people should go see it, but I think far too many people were uncritical of the movie because it was one of the few movies coming out of hollywood that deals with race and racism directly.  It was almost as if it was taboo to think ill of it.  I thought it was way too melodramatic (with too much use of violins and other cues telling me when to cry or gasp).  I also had a very difficult time caring what happened to any of the characters because they were all so one-dimensional.  Characters were basically stereotypes of themselves.  I love A.O. Scott's (NY Times) review.  He says something like, "Every character in this movie is multidimensional: they each have exactly two sides."  And the dialogue was soooo preachy.  The characters seemed less like human beings and more like characters in an allegory; rather than having their own, authentic voices, they are mouthpieces for the writer's views and opinions.  All in all, there were some really great performances, and I think the intent of the movie was good, but the method was somewhat clunky and I am still unsure what the message was (unless the goal of the movie was solely exposition).  Most importantly, I do not want people, and particularly white people, seeing this movie and thinking they "get" race in America.  If you like morality tales where characters serve a function and communicate a message, then you'll probably enjoy this movie.  But if you like realism (which I think people without prior consciousness of race issues might mistake this moving for having), then this is not the movie for you.  But I still think it's worth the ticket!

Read the A.O. Scott review.  I think it's brilliant: http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=301205
full review: http://movies2.nytimes.com/mem/movies/review.html?title1=Crash%20%28Movie%29&title2=Crash%20%28Movie%29&reviewer=A%2e%20O%2e%20Scott&pdate=20050506&v_id=301205

j.rosh

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2005, 08:40:57 AM »
Hustle and Flow was just brought to the theaters in my city this past weekend.  They weren't going to bring it, but some of the AfAm citizens protested because the theaters here never play movies with leading black actors  ???
So they are playing the movie here now, in the run down theater...

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »
Hustle and Flow was just brought to the theaters in my city this past weekend.  They weren't going to bring it, but some of the AfAm citizens protested because the theaters here never play movies with leading black actors  ???

Which city?
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

j.rosh

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2005, 09:24:32 AM »

Which city?

Columbus, Mississippi  :o ;D