Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hustle & Flow (the movie)  (Read 3622 times)

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hustle & Flow (the movie)
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 01:05:33 AM »
(Entertainment Weekly) -- Certain movies, like "8 Mile," "Rocky," or "Saturday Night Fever," walk an entrancing line between realism and pop mythology.

They're tales, at heart, of Hollywood uplift -- of struggle and triumph, of an underdog's stubborn dream -- yet scene for scene, moment to moment, they are made with so much grit and spirit and verve, such a deep-dish flavor of the streets, that their inspiration is rooted in something authentic and rare.

"Hustle & Flow," Craig Brewer's drama about a small-time Memphis pimp who pours his life into cutting a homemade crunk tape, is that kind of movie. From the moment we see DJay (Terrence Howard) seated behind the wheel of his ratty parked Chevy, rambling out a seductive monologue about the distinction between ''man'' (a mere dog, he says) and ''mankind,'' we're drawn to the exotic inside portrait of a flyweight urban hustler who knows how to cast a spell.

When DJay speaks, in the smokiest of smoky drawls, the words come out slowly, sliding into each other, the cadences fused in a lyrical back-porch whisper -- a barely perceptible form of intimidation.

He sounds, at times, like an old Southern man telling a story, and though DJay isn't old, exactly, the years are beginning to add up for him. Pushing 40, he's a veteran of the streets, one who's grown weary and a bit numb hawking his girls out of cars, using his casual gift for words to keep them in line.

Terrence Howard, in the single most powerful performance I've seen this year, inhabits this character with a casual mastery that makes him a world unto himself; we're in touch with his ambition and sadness, his rage and longing, as if they were our own.

DJay's hair is conked with old-school '60s-style curlers, and his flesh peddler's face is handsome yet puffy, as if he'd been presenting it to the world as a mask for so long that he'd forgotten what's under there. He may be an exploiter, yet he is not, by nature, a cruel man: Howard plays him with the hidden, bone-deep anxiety of someone who has spent his life coasting on outlaw instinct.

The movie, which is sharply paced and terrifically shot, sketches in DJay's relationships with his working girls, furious Shug (Taraji P. Henson) and sexy, ignorant Nola, played by Taryn Manning like a deer in cornrows. DJay, by contrast, is a dog running out of tricks, so when he bumps into Key (Anthony Anderson), a sound engineer he knew back in his school days, and gets the idea to put some rhymes to paper, it's not just a movieish lark. He's out to save what's left of himself.

The home-studio recording sequences in "Hustle & Flow" are funky, rowdy, and indelible. Brewer gives us the pleasure of watching characters create music from the ground up, beat by beat, take by take. DJay and Key, trapped in his bourgeois marriage, and Shelby (DJ Qualls), a gawky white church musician who's a wizard with a beatbox, are all out to escape the drudgery of their anonymous lives; that's what makes the sessions cathartic.

As DJay works up a demo mixtape to give to Skinny Black (Ludacris), a hometown rapper-turned-platinum-selling star, some may accuse "Hustle & Flow" of softening a pimp's brutality, yet the movie, in an odd way, is never more honest about the violent and tawdry degradation of DJay's life than when we hear him chant his ripped-from-the-gut lyrics (''Whoop that trick -- get 'em!''). Those words imprint themselves on the audience. So does "Hustle & Flow.

EW Grade: A-

kccole

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 03:11:19 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a nice review Scurvy! But what did you think? Yay or nay?
Get Right, or get Left!!!!

kccole

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 03:19:33 AM »
Get Right, or get Left!!!!

sarmstrong806

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 03:38:32 AM »
Hustle and flow is a moving story about overcoming adversity in the poverty stricken ghetto. It is really motivational to see a pimp with bigger dreams of becoming a rap star have the drive to create hip hop music, discuss it with Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, then stand around in a parking lot with a bunch of college educated people yelling "Whoop that trick".

Hopefully they will make a movie about 'unsucessful' "Uncle Tom's" like Colin Powell.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 05:04:44 AM »
Hustle and flow is a moving story about overcoming adversity in the poverty stricken ghetto. It is really motivational to see a pimp with bigger dreams of becoming a rap star have the drive to create hip hop music, discuss it with Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, then stand around in a parking lot with a bunch of college educated people yelling "Whoop that trick".

Hopefully they will make a movie about 'unsucessful' "Uncle Tom's" like Colin Powell.

Nice avatar!  :D

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a nice review Scurvy! But what did you think? Yay or nay?

Haven't seen it yet. The stoplight was out by my street so it took me over an hour to go one block. So no movie for me last night! I'll keep trying. I can't wait to see it.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005, 12:00:24 AM »
Crash was a good movie.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

GJU1003

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 12:49:29 AM »
One of the best movies I have seen this summer.... and trust me I have paid to see a lot of trash

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2005, 01:48:14 PM »
Well I've met TH a few times.  He is alright.  I don't see what the big deal is. 
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2005, 06:34:14 PM »
name dropping?  :D

Well I've met TH a few times.  He is alright.  I don't see what the big deal is. 
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...