Law School Discussion

State residency status

State residency status
« on: July 21, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »
Hoping that someone can help me here!

I'm trying to find a listing of the public law schools that details each school's requirements for an out-of-state resident eventually being deemed an in-state resident.   

Aside from researching every school's website - I'm just not coming up with a fast way of determining this.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm hoping for Tier 1 or 2 but figure I better check all of them out!

_____

• View Profile
Re: State residency status
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 04:54:06 PM »
Dunno about most states, nor where to find most of the info, but....

CALIFORNIA
I do know is that CA will let you be a resident after 1 year of continuous physical presence fairly easily.  But that means you have to get there and get a bank account, Driver License, register to vote, etc. at least a week or two BEFORE classes start.  This is because the residency determination date will be the first offical day of each semester (which is often somewhat prior to the first day of classes).  So if you don't get there prior to the start of the semester or quarter, you won't qualify for having your full year of continuous presence until the second semester or quarter of your second year. 

(Residency petitions are accepted only on a semesterly/quarterly basis, and being just 1 day shy of the deadline can fry you for one semester more... I know a friend who is getting just that screwed for an entire semester right now over 8 days of difference or something like that...)

MICHIGAN
Regarding UM Ann Arbor, they will basically not let anyone who comes to Michigan for educational purposes become a resident under any circumstances.  (Each public university in Michigan has the right to establish its own residency policy, and Ann Arbor's is one of the strictest.)

The worst story I heard about residency troubles at UMich was that of a woman who came to Michigan to accompany her husband while he did his PhD.  5 years in to his 6 year program, she decided to apply to a graduate program.  She was admitted, but she was still classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes because she had originally come to Michigan because of her husband, who came for educational purposes.

This after 5 years of working, of taxes, of mortgage, of car insurance!

Bleh.

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 05:03:32 PM »
i believe virginia and texas also have very stringent residency requirements.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 06:17:11 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I was afraid that I was looking for something that didn't exist.

But glad to hear that about California.  I knew that Virginia wasn't an easy one!

Anyone else - I'd welcome your input!

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 06:20:28 PM »
tag

GO_PTO

• my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 08:49:22 PM »
move to the state for work before you apply...

Duner

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 09:02:57 AM »
You need to contact each school you're interested in. just b/c you're considered a state resident DOESN'T mean you're eligible for in-state tuition. Almost all schools have a disclaimer stating you can't be a resident for purposes of attending school. Consequently, you need to provide proof that you plan on remaining within the state following graduation. As a result, most states have laws requiring residency for one year prior to the first day of class. of the 17 schools i applied to, only Ole Miss said they would guarantee in state residency after the first year.

Even more disturbing, if a school doesn't tell you they automatically offer in state residency after the first year, research further!!! There are several out of state residents who are extremely bitter this fall b/c they were led to believe they'd be given in state residency after the first year, and just found out they were denied residency for tuition purposes....looks like they need to come up with an extra $15k this year!

Finally you have to realize residency is a game....school's know it as well as potential students...if they can sucker a few more people to apply they will. On the other hand, it's amazing how many people i know at my school who came here b/c "they have to take care of their sick grandparents." So really, schools aren't going to believe any remarkable stories about why you need in state residency...b/c i'm sure there are 50 people in your class that created far more dramatic fables.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 11:56:09 AM »
New York, surprisingly, is relatively easy to gain state residency, but there is only one state law school (Buffalo).

Pennsylvania, at least for the University of Pittsburgh (which is not a state school, just state related), is extremely difficult to get in state tuition, from what I hear.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 12:08:12 PM »
I thought SUNY Albany had a law school as well.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 11:24:58 AM »
I thought SUNY Albany had a law school as well.

No, SUNY Albany and Albany Law School of Union University are entirely different.  The law school is private.