3 (20%)
skirt suit (i am a woman)
 5 (33.3%)
skirt suit (i am a man :-P)
 1 (6.7%)
it doesn't matter as long as i can wear pinstripes and gator skin shoes
 4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Interview Attire (for the rising 2L's)  (Read 4826 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Interview Attire (for the rising 2L's)
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2005, 12:24:37 PM »
Iím interviewing at a job fair next week.  I am wearing a really nice black skirt suit.  The jacket has three buttons.  There is enough room to wear a collared shirt, but I hate wearing collared shirts.  They are just really uncomfortable under a jacket.  In every other interview, Iíve always worn a collared shirt under my jacket.

Do you guys think it will be ok if I wear a nice, v-neck, cream colored shell???

Please let me know.

You know Berkeley people are causal in general, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think a conservative shell will be fine.  I saw lots of people wearing shells at OCIP last year.  I will probably wear collared shirts to at least some of my interviews (mainly the large, prestige-whoring firms), but I picked up a couple of shells to mix things up a bit for the smaller firm interviews.  I don't want to look too stuffy when I interview with a "lifestyle" firm, but don't wanna play it too casual for the very conservative ones.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Lexington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2005, 10:30:17 AM »
Any opinion on vintage suits?  Obviously not interview attire but I think they're really cute.  Not sure what occasions might be appropriate though  :-\
"I take summers off cuz I love winter beef..." NAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2005, 11:51:25 AM »
Any opinion on vintage suits?  Obviously not interview attire but I think they're really cute.  Not sure what occasions might be appropriate though  :-\

I wouldn't bust out the crushed velvet for an interview, but if your firm isn't too conservative, you might be able to get away with it at work. :D

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2005, 12:03:51 PM »
are u referring to tweed? styles of the 50s etc? just seeking clarification...

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Lexington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2005, 12:12:06 PM »
Not sure how to describe... I'm looking for pictures, but no luck.  Again referring to the Essence mag, there are some on p. 62 - tweeds, plaids, houndstooth even, flared skirts, funky collars, stuff like that.

Definitely no crushed velvet!! LOL  :D :D
"I take summers off cuz I love winter beef..." NAS

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2005, 12:16:25 PM »
Not sure how to describe... I'm looking for pictures, but no luck.  Again referring to the Essence mag, there are some on p. 62 - tweeds, plaids, houndstooth even, flared skirts, funky collars, stuff like that.

io non ho Essence.  :-\

nice pic.  :)
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2005, 12:36:39 PM »
(I don't have Essence) Italian
Look to the left -- Look to the right

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2005, 12:41:38 PM »

That kind of stuff is definitely inappropriate for a screening interview.  It says, "I am fashionable (read: possibly ditzy)" not "I am a professional and am ready to slave away at your firm!"

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2005, 12:42:46 PM »
lex I know what you're talking about (too lazy to actually pull out the magazine right now though :-[ )... i think those suits are nice to wear to conferences... u don't have to worry about other people being dressed like you are for example.. and they'll leave a lasting impression on powers that be if you know how to rock it ..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

j.rosh

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2005, 01:34:40 PM »
I wanted to bump this thread for the ladies since the men have their own thread.