5 (33.3%)
skirt suit (i am a man :-P)
1 (6.7%)
it doesn't matter as long as i can wear pinstripes and gator skin shoes
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Interview Attire (for the rising 2L's)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Interview Attire (for the rising 2L's)
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2005, 10:24:37 AM »
Iím interviewing at a job fair next week.  I am wearing a really nice black skirt suit.  The jacket has three buttons.  There is enough room to wear a collared shirt, but I hate wearing collared shirts.  They are just really uncomfortable under a jacket.  In every other interview, Iíve always worn a collared shirt under my jacket.

Do you guys think it will be ok if I wear a nice, v-neck, cream colored shell???

Please let me know.

You know Berkeley people are causal in general, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think a conservative shell will be fine.  I saw lots of people wearing shells at OCIP last year.  I will probably wear collared shirts to at least some of my interviews (mainly the large, prestige-whoring firms), but I picked up a couple of shells to mix things up a bit for the smaller firm interviews.  I don't want to look too stuffy when I interview with a "lifestyle" firm, but don't wanna play it too casual for the very conservative ones.

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2005, 08:30:17 AM »
Any opinion on vintage suits?  Obviously not interview attire but I think they're really cute.  Not sure what occasions might be appropriate though  :-\

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2005, 09:51:25 AM »
Any opinion on vintage suits?  Obviously not interview attire but I think they're really cute.  Not sure what occasions might be appropriate though  :-\

I wouldn't bust out the crushed velvet for an interview, but if your firm isn't too conservative, you might be able to get away with it at work. :D

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2005, 10:03:51 AM »
are u referring to tweed? styles of the 50s etc? just seeking clarification...

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2005, 10:12:06 AM »
Not sure how to describe... I'm looking for pictures, but no luck.  Again referring to the Essence mag, there are some on p. 62 - tweeds, plaids, houndstooth even, flared skirts, funky collars, stuff like that.

Definitely no crushed velvet!! LOL  :D :D

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2005, 10:16:25 AM »
Not sure how to describe... I'm looking for pictures, but no luck.  Again referring to the Essence mag, there are some on p. 62 - tweeds, plaids, houndstooth even, flared skirts, funky collars, stuff like that.

io non ho Essence.  :-\

nice pic.  :)

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2005, 10:36:39 AM »
(I don't have Essence) Italian

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2005, 10:41:38 AM »

That kind of stuff is definitely inappropriate for a screening interview.  It says, "I am fashionable (read: possibly ditzy)" not "I am a professional and am ready to slave away at your firm!"

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2005, 10:42:46 AM »
lex I know what you're talking about (too lazy to actually pull out the magazine right now though :-[ )... i think those suits are nice to wear to conferences... u don't have to worry about other people being dressed like you are for example.. and they'll leave a lasting impression on powers that be if you know how to rock it ..

j.rosh

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2005, 11:34:40 AM »
I wanted to bump this thread for the ladies since the men have their own thread.