Law School Discussion

current/former yale students and/or new haven-area residents - please help!

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
i'm familiar with all the in-law stereotypes because of my sister.  with your situation though, you should probably be glad they're not helping you move.  :)

are you joking about the bleach?  i'm actually doing that.  the apartments are only a year old, luckily, so only one person has lived in my unit.  oh, and i'm changing the toilet seat.  no amount of bleach and disinfectant is sufficient there.

be10dwn

i'm familiar with all the in-law stereotypes because of my sister.  with your situation though, you should probably be glad they're not helping you move.  :)

are you joking about the bleach?  i'm actually doing that.  the apartments are only a year old, luckily, so only one person has lived in my unit.  oh, and i'm changing the toilet seat.  no amount of bleach and disinfectant is sufficient there.

Seriously, the bleach will disnfect it nicely.  ;D

eek!  sounds annoying, but i can deal with that for the good prices.  and commission might mean more negotiable since they just want to make a sale?  thanks for the info!!  since you're familiar with NH, do you know what shopper's haven is?  i found it while goofing off on google earth, but i can't find anything about it online.

Actually, I'm not overly familiar with New Haven. I have had to take my daughter down to the Yale Hospital a few times, but I live about 45 minutes North of NH. I can't help with "shopper's haven," but it sounds good. Let me know if you find out anything else about it.

As for Bob's, you can't negotiate the prices. It is a regular furniture store, and they have fixed prices on things. They also don't have any sales - ever. Nor do they ever have special deals on financing. One of the sales reps told me that they just price things and forget all the gimmicks. That way they can keep prices lower.

I moved to CT from the San Francisco area in 2002. The best advice I can give you is to bring a very warm coat! Oh...and if you have a car, get an ice scraper and a snow brush. I had none of these things when I moved here (seriously, I didn't own a coat in CA). A credit card works well to scrape ice in a pinch, but not as good as a real ice scraper. :)

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
prices are negotiable in a lot of regular furniture stores too.  people just don't try.  :)  we'll put that in the list of things i learned from my mother.

i started stocking up on coats during the end-of-winter sales this year.  bought 5 new ones (two are fall coats, really).  we'll see how those hold up.  my problem is that i'm almost always cold, even in a CA climate.   :-\

be10dwn

prices are negotiable in a lot of regular furniture stores too.  people just don't try.  :)  we'll put that in the list of things i learned from my mother.

i started stocking up on coats during the end-of-winter sales this year.  bought 5 new ones (two are fall coats, really).  we'll see how those hold up.  my problem is that i'm almost always cold, even in a CA climate.   :-\

You are screwed Pookie!  ;) I hate cold weather and I lived in Germany for 4 years.

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
Is there a Gap in New Haven?

sadly, no.  good thing for gap.com :)

The outlet malls a few towns away have a Gap.

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
The outlet malls a few towns away have a Gap.

true.  but i won't have a car.  online shopping it is!  :)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
good luck in new haven...didn't anyone warn you of the realities of going to school there?  pretty law library...nice comfortable couches...but, you're not in kansas anymore, dorothy.

get yourself a car...a whistle...and a card at costcos.