Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: June LSAT scale -/+ ?  (Read 3661 times)

londongirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
June LSAT scale -/+ ?
« on: June 15, 2004, 02:34:54 PM »
Hello all, London calling!
We took the test this morning (15th) and it was hard! I found RC hard, and the first LR too, but logic games better than average, and the second LR okay. I was bummed that the second RC was so easy  - I hate experimentals!
I reckon the scale will be average, that RC will balance out LG but who knows. I'm praying for a generous scale.
Someone on this board predicted the scale would be tough - I was hoping you could tell me why you think this. I've taken a ton of tests but cannot predict the scale well.
What do the rest of you think? Easy? Hard?
Best wishes,
me

nathanielmark

Re: June LSAT scale -/+ ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 02:58:30 PM »

i think hard because the games were the easiest ive ever seen.  the RC was def harder then normal though.  LG seemed about average.

Hello all, London calling!
We took the test this morning (15th) and it was hard! I found RC hard, and the first LR too, but logic games better than average, and the second LR okay. I was bummed that the second RC was so easy  - I hate experimentals!
I reckon the scale will be average, that RC will balance out LG but who knows. I'm praying for a generous scale.
Someone on this board predicted the scale would be tough - I was hoping you could tell me why you think this. I've taken a ton of tests but cannot predict the scale well.
What do the rest of you think? Easy? Hard?
Best wishes,
me

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 03:12:16 PM »
I agree with your reasoning.  I do not have the past test in front of me, but I think you would have to compare difficulty of sections in past test to their relative scales.  I am a wishful thinker and hope the scale is generous, but I don't think because games were easy the scale will be easy.  I think in order to make a best guess one should sort through their past preptest and try to find one which looks most similar in difficulty of each section.  So find one that has hard RC, easy LG, and average LR's.  I believe this is the best way to estimate the scale.  Let's hope it is generous!

grahamers

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 03:25:32 PM »
Isn't the "scale" a bell curve of the results?  How can that be generours or not generous?  Do they do something other than a straight curve?
34 years old    170 LSAT 2.33 UGPA
Accepted: Wake, Mason, Catholic, Maryland, Baltimore, WVU, Widener
Waitlisted: American
Dinged: GW, Georgetown
Still haven't heard from: Villanova
Attending Mryland

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 03:29:10 PM »
no the scale is independant of any particular group of test takers.  its a bell curve of performances of test takers over the past 3 years and based on experimental sections.

Isn't the "scale" a bell curve of the results?  How can that be generours or not generous?  Do they do something other than a straight curve?

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 03:32:38 PM »
I think it is a bell curve of every test takers score.  I do think it will be a more generous curve for the simple fact that there were 28 RC questions.  I have never seen that before, and everyone knows most people run out of time on the RC section anyways.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 03:34:23 PM »
Well, you may think that the scale is established this way, but it is not a matter of opinion.  (wasnt that one of the LSAT questions, LOL factual matter vs. opinion)

http://www.powerscore.com/scale.htm

I think it is a bell curve of every test takers score.  I do think it will be a more generous curve for the simple fact that there were 28 RC questions.  I have never seen that before, and everyone knows most people run out of time on the RC section anyways.

grahamers

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 03:37:18 PM »
no the scale is independant of any particular group of test takers.  its a bell curve of performances of test takers over the past 3 years and based on experimental sections.

So the scale has to be adjusted to that when this batch of results in added to the 3 year running bell curve and the 3 year old test is removed, it it still a bell curve, correct? 

If so, then the scale is still determined by a curve (combined with other results or standing alone, there is no "generosity" involved.)

If not, then I don't understand your post as it would seem to be impossible to use the term "bell curve" and "generous scale" when speaking of the same resultant gardes.

Let me know your thoughts please as I never really looked into the issue back when i took the test.
Attending Mryland

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 03:41:52 PM »
read the link i provided, but i will try to explain it better.

LSAC uses experimental sections to guage difficulty of material, then comprises tests with perhaps a certain numerical difficulty.  they then look at testtakers over the last 3 years and compose a scale for that test so that 93% of past test takers would have scored a 165, etc.  whatever raw score allows them to get that that 93% will be a 165, etc...  the scale is determined before the test is actually administered.

So the scale has to be adjusted to that when this batch of results in added to the 3 year running bell curve and the 3 year old test is removed, it it still a bell curve, correct? 

If so, then the scale is still determined by a curve (combined with other results or standing alone, there is no "generosity" involved.)

If not, then I don't understand your post as it would seem to be impossible to use the term "bell curve" and "generous scale" when speaking of the same resultant gardes.

Let me know your thoughts please as I never really looked into the issue back when i took the test.

grahamers

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 03:44:24 PM »
read the link i provided, but i will try to explain it better.

DOH!  Didn't even see link.  Thx.  Will print it out and go read it on the can.
Attending Mryland