Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop Question  (Read 2139 times)

PeoplesLawJD08

• View Profile
Re: Laptop Question
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 09:10:34 AM »
i agree it would be foolish to wait for vista.  however, i have the beta 1 installed on a 32-bit pentium 4 downstairs (on its own partition) and it works fine.  I will try putting it on my T42 and see if it works there also.  Vista is going to run fine with most modern hardware. it will be a few years beyond vista before 64 bit becomes the norm.

for notebooks, i would strongly advise AGAINST buying an ultra-portable.  People talk about lugging around weight and things like that - have you considered your books?  the fact is, you are going to be typing on this thing, and your eyes will be fixated on the screen.  I have an ultra-portable sony downstairs; it is a toy, and nothing more.  i bought a ThinkPad for work and school purposes.  its a good balance of everything.

don't buy an HP, Dell, Sony, or any of that other consumer crap.  go to newegg.com and look at their T42s.  T43 is the new model and does not offer any real advantage over T42 and costs a lot more.

IBM is simply a cut above when it comes to notebooks. i used to scoff at this, but after doing real research, i learned it was true.  they are just built exceptionally well, from the keyboard to the display encasing to the display hinges.  Don't buy a notebook without at least testing out an IBM T series.

I know Toshiba, Fujitsu, and Asus make good notebooks also.

Windows Vista has already slipped to 4th quarter 2006 ( http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/072805-vista.html), and may very well slip further, based on Microsoft's history. Further, the only chips currently being produced that will run Vista are being built by AMD...meaning not a single Dell computer currently shipping will be satisfactory (since they only use Intel). More info: http://news.com.com/Could+HPs+AMD+laptop+sway+Dell/2100-1006_3-5760558.html. Even once Vista is out you'd have to wait for the school exam software to make the upgrade, which could take some time. To sum up, most current PCs are incompatible with Vista on a hardware level, so upgrades won't work for most users, even those with "current" systems. You mentioned some good reasons to put off the purchase, but waiting for Vista isn't one of them. FYI, if you're looking for Vista-compatible hardware, make sure you have a 64-bit processor in your system (such as the AMD Turion listed in the article).

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 11:39:25 AM »
I checked out Microsoft's documentation (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/expert/hardware.mspx)...they indicate that "The lower end of the current processor range will work, but those processors won't provide the optimal experience for most users." They also list current processors that will allow the highest degree of functionality, as well as other hardware requirements. It's actually a fairly exhaustive list.

And I thought CNET was reliable...my bad. 

polyhymnia23

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - polyhymnia23
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005, 12:09:18 PM »
I have a toshiba notebook and it's fantastic. I plan on getting a new one before school starts, but right now it's great. I highly recommend.

strawberry tort

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 07:05:52 PM »
I would strongly recommend waiting until you are just about ready to start LS.You know the saying "your computer is out of date as soon as you leave the store". Also, be sure you check with your school to see if you need something specific. I would recommend making sure you have wireless capeabilities, as most campuses have that available.

I sure hope my laptop isn't too old, since I'm not planning on getting a new one. I bought mine my junior year during undergrad, so it's almost two years old. It's not one of those heavy, old dinosaurs though. It weighs 4.5 pounds, has enough disk space and memory, built-in wireless, and centrino, but it just seems that everyone's getting a spiffy new one.

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 07:56:11 PM »
lol....you definately dont need a 64 bit proc to run vista...you think they are just trying to sell it to the half million people using athlon 64s???

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 09:48:07 PM »
lol....you definately dont need a 64 bit proc to run vista...you think they are just trying to sell it to the half million people using athlon 64s???

Youíve been thinking about your response for a week, and it still wasnít any good. How sad. Wait! I get it! Your whole post was a metaphor for Vista, so that in the same way people will probably be disappointed with the finished product after the ultra-long wait, youíve intentionally disappointed me in a similar fashion. I must admit I nearly didnít pick up on it. Nice one.

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2005, 11:03:29 PM »

Youíve been thinking about your response for a week, and it still wasnít any good. How sad. Wait! I get it! Your whole post was a metaphor for Vista, so that in the same way people will probably be disappointed with the finished product after the ultra-long wait, youíve intentionally disappointed me in a similar fashion. I must admit I nearly didnít pick up on it. Nice one.

sorry... i would have pointed out your stupidity much sooner but i was on vacation for a week.  perhaps if you didnt say such ridiculous **&^%* in the first place about things you obviously know very little about, then people like me would not have to make you look so retarded, and the rest of us would also be saved from your pathetic attempt(s) at humor.

hth  ;)