Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop Question  (Read 2162 times)

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Laptop Question
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 11:16:13 AM »
No need to worry...I have a Windows unit I can use. I do appreciate the kind wishes though.

Two posts in three minutes? You do realize you can type more than one line per post, right?

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 05:38:43 PM »
No need to worry...I have a Windows unit I can use. I do appreciate the kind wishes though.

Two posts in three minutes? You do realize you can type more than one line per post, right?

good one...

Cyndra

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 11:09:46 AM »
Don't buy one for ls now. You never know, you may get a great deal on an IBM or Dell going through your school. I know my school's IT dept. supports bundles purchased through them. And should something put your laptop out of commission, they will give you a loaner. You don't get a loaner w/o purchasing their bundle. Now I didn't get their bundle, because they initially didn't have IBM bundles, but I got the specs my school recommends, the latest technological features, and the loan money to pay for it. Also, you're going to want the best warranty you can afford. If you buy your laptop now, at least make sure your warranty will protect your laptop thoughout ls.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 11:16:09 AM »
Don't buy one for ls now. You never know, you may get a great deal on an IBM or Dell going through your school. I know my school's IT dept. supports bundles purchased through them. And should something put your laptop out of commission, they will give you a loaner. You don't get a loaner w/o purchasing their bundle. Now I didn't get their bundle, because they initially didn't have IBM bundles, but I got the specs my school recommends, the latest technological features, and the loan money to pay for it. Also, you're going to want the best warranty you can afford. If you buy your laptop now, at least make sure your warranty will protect your laptop thoughout ls.

The "deals" offered through most schools aren't really that great.  Maybe in your case you lucked out and really did get something special that was better than what could have been had by ordering online from Dell or Gateway.  But in most cases you end up paying the same or even more when you buy through your school's computer department.  I saw the "deals" that Northwestern offered on Dell laptops and they weren't as good as what I was able to get with Dell's online discounts, rebates, and coupon codes. 

I think the only advantage of buying through your school is if you need their computer department to perform routine service.  They may only provide this for the specific models they carry.  But if you're computer literate enough to handle taking care of your own computer when something goes wrong, the you're not missing out on anything.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 02:40:05 PM »
Is it pretty easy to install additional memory?  I am thinking about saving money by getting the T42 with 256ram and then buying a 512 stick.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 04:54:24 PM »
Is it pretty easy to install additional memory?  I am thinking about saving money by getting the T42 with 256ram and then buying a 512 stick.

The only caveat here is the configuration of your current memory.  Most laptops have 2 memory slots.  If your current memory is 1 stick then you'll have a free slot for expansion.  However, if your current memory is divided into 2 sticks then you'll have to throw half of it out in order to upgrade. 

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005, 08:23:50 PM »
Ease of memory expansion can also vary a lot from brand to brand, and even model to model.  Dells, for example, tend to be a little tricky to upgrade.  They tend to use proprietary modules, and the SODIMM slots are often buried under a lot of other hardware.  On the other hand, Toshiba (to name one  example) is a lot easier to work with.

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2005, 08:30:38 PM »
Ease of memory expansion can also vary a lot from brand to brand, and even model to model.  Dells, for example, tend to be a little tricky to upgrade.  They tend to use proprietary modules, and the SODIMM slots are often buried under a lot of other hardware.  On the other hand, Toshiba (to name one  example) is a lot easier to work with.

-Ty

My Dell Inspiron has easy-access memory slots that require no more than unscrewing a single panel on the bottom of the laptop.

btideroll

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2005, 09:32:17 PM »
wait until you are about to start law school before you get your laptop because

1) you'll get more laptop for the money since prices declines pretty fast as technology advances
2) you'll have more choices and options in a year or so
3) you'll have more time to damage the laptop if you get it before school starts

I'd check out dell and maybe HP. Definitely get a 3-4 warranty if you can and make sure you get one with a wireless card built in. Your laptop will probably even have the new Windows Vista on it standard meanwhile everyone else, and including yourself, will have to buy the upgrade if you have a laptop with windows XP now.

Goodluck

Insane!
cacheofreason.blogspot.com

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 01:31:53 AM »
Your laptop will probably even have the new Windows Vista on it standard meanwhile everyone else, and including yourself, will have to buy the upgrade if you have a laptop with windows XP now.

Goodluck

Insane!
cacheofreason.blogspot.com

Windows Vista has already slipped to 4th quarter 2006 ( http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/072805-vista.html), and may very well slip further, based on Microsoft's history. Further, the only chips currently being produced that will run Vista are being built by AMD...meaning not a single Dell computer currently shipping will be satisfactory (since they only use Intel). More info: http://news.com.com/Could+HPs+AMD+laptop+sway+Dell/2100-1006_3-5760558.html. Even once Vista is out you'd have to wait for the school exam software to make the upgrade, which could take some time. To sum up, most current PCs are incompatible with Vista on a hardware level, so upgrades won't work for most users, even those with "current" systems. You mentioned some good reasons to put off the purchase, but waiting for Vista isn't one of them. FYI, if you're looking for Vista-compatible hardware, make sure you have a 64-bit processor in your system (such as the AMD Turion listed in the article).