Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What E&E books schould I get?  (Read 4292 times)

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What E&E books schould I get?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 08:51:01 AM »
I have read several chapters of E&E's Contract and they all seem common sense.  Offer, consideration, acceptance, bilateral, unilateral contracts, etc... oh.. com'on..didn't we learn those in some cheesy class at grade school?   

The E&E books really break the issues down. Even Civ. Pro seems fairly simple. :-)

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 09:34:21 AM »

From the northwestern university website:

First Year Curriculum

The first-year curriculum consists of 24 credits of required classes and 6 credits of electives. To encourage participation, half of all first-year classes are taught in sections of 60 or fewer students.

Your first year of study at Northwestern will focus on building a solid foundation in legal reasoning, analysis, and writing, as well as a thorough understanding of the structures and policies of the law.

Teamwork and communication skills are also strongly emphasized in classes such as Communication and Legal Reasoning, a required year-long course in which students collaborate on analytical exercises and group projects. Part of this class involves participation in the Arlyn Miner First-Year Moot Court.

Another supplement to your first-year education is the Lawyer as Problem Solver program. Faculty and legal professionals teach this mandatory seminar, in which students learn how to facilitate problem solving for clients in settings outside the courtroom or boardroom.

At the end of the year, you may apply for a position on one of the Law School’s scholarly journals. Selection is based on a writing competition, first-year grades, and a publishable note or comment on a legal topic.

Required Courses
The following required first-year courses provide a basic foundation in law and legal reasoning:

CIVIL PROCEDURE (4 credits) focuses on the rules that structure federal and state civil litigation.

COMMUNICATION AND LEGAL REASONING (2 credits per semester) offers instruction in legal reasoning, research, writing, and oral argument, as well as exercises to encourage teamwork and collaboration. Classes are often facilitated by guest speakers and panelists.

CONSTITUTIONAL LAW (3 credits) provides a general introduction to the U.S. Constitution's allocation of power between the branches of the federal government and to the grants of and limitations on the substantive powers of the government.

CONTRACTS (4 credits) explores the nature and enforceability of promises and bargains and the remedies available for non-performance.

CRIMINAL LAW (3 credits) emphasizes the general principles of criminal liability and examines the elements and defenses of the laws that criminalize behavior.

PROPERTY (3 credits) examines the philosophical origins of property rights, and the rules that govern the acquisition and transfer of property rights, and the private and public means of the regulation of property.

TORTS (3 credits) explores the policies and rules of the private law system that provide compensation for injuries to persons and property.

+ electives

It's not like this info is hidden.

Thanks, I hadn't seen this page. Although, what I was really looking for was the semester breakdown. I got it from my orientation advisor. But thanks for finding the page.
Attending: Northwestern School of Law

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 12:35:23 PM »
I read the Torts E&E and found it to be pretty good. I am planning on getting the one for Contracts next (as an evening student, I only have Torts and Contracts this semester).

Also, here's a pretty good site:

www.lawschoolhelp.com

makotosan

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey, I didn't know boys felt like this inside.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - simulatedasian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 02:22:19 PM »
Are there any subjects you already know you dislike/don't understand?

I'm currently reading the Torts E&E because I've already taken two torts class and found them boring and confusing at the same time. I figure any heads up I can get will help.
Attending: Temple ($)
Accepted: Seton Hall (full $), St. John's (full $), Hofstra (full $), Lewis and Clark ($), Pitt ($)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=makotosan

http://excessivedicta.blogspot.com/

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 05:47:43 PM »

I'm currently reading the Torts E&E because I've already taken two torts class and found them boring and confusing at the same time. I figure any heads up I can get will help.

The E&E primers have helped me to confirm that I hate Civil Procedure and am am not too crazy about Criminal Law either.

Contracts and Torts are okay, and Property is a bit tricky, but more or less enjoyable.

For those of you who haven't learned to hate Civ Pro yet, I hope you feel the same way after chap 11.

3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 07:39:04 PM »
I liked Civ Pro, personally.

BAFF213

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 12:10:30 AM »
I haven't read enough yet, but I have the feeling that I'm not going to like Civ Pro and Con Law. I think I might like (or at least, not hate) Crim Law, Torts, Property, and possibly even Contracts.

Oh also, I agree with the poster above that you should get E&E for Torts, Civ Pro, K's and Property.

The E&E primers have helped me to confirm that I hate Civil Procedure and am am not too crazy about Criminal Law either.

Contracts and Torts are okay, and Property is a bit tricky, but more or less enjoyable.

For those of you who haven't learned to hate Civ Pro yet, I hope you feel the same way after chap 11.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 12:15:49 AM »
baff
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

BAFF213

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 12:33:13 AM »

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 12:34:37 AM »
a. you aren't BAFF, where's your avatar? 
b. baff=tag
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1