Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is this legacy garbage?  (Read 2235 times)

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
What is this legacy garbage?
« on: July 20, 2005, 09:58:52 AM »
I also happen to oppose legacy admits, some people on this toic of AA keep saying that we should speak out about legacy admits if we are going to oppose AA.

"People are generally self interested but will base their arguments on principle.  If the principle of AA really bothers you, then why dont you also actively protest legacy admits? Your reaction is not proportional."

Well, here you go, DOWN WITH LEGACY AND AA!!!

somniferum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
Re: What is this legacy garbage?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 01:06:28 PM »
Ive never heard of a law school factoring legacy status into admissions. Does that even happen?

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 01:33:45 PM »
Yes, some of them have boxes.
The reason I put this topic up is because there have been some people saying that there should also be outrage against Legacy students if there is outrage against AA.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 06:16:54 PM »
Legacy admits keep the "good ole boys" network functioning.  AA fights against it.

I would prefer to live in a world where people don't treat anyone who is "different" than they are like crap, but that's not the world we live in.  I know that there are people getting a "boost" from AA who don't deserve it (a woman who has 2 doctors, a PHD in English and a lawyer in her family tree got into a school b/c of AA when my white-trash self didn't get any help from anywhere), but overwhelmingly, I think it's a way to ensure that law school classes look more like the country, and less like the country club.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 08:46:59 AM »
Then there should only be 12% blacks, how many blacks are in law school? I tried looking up the number but couldn't find anything.

Good ole boys club, maybe if more people wanted to become lawyers and had the numbers then they could become lawyers.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 09:42:40 AM »
You can find the numbers on LSAC (% minorities per school) I think. 

Personally, it sucks that I work in a firm where 40% of our clients are black/hispanic, but we have no black/hispanic attorneys.  I would love to see us have a staff that looks more like our client base.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 10:04:56 AM »
Why does that matter, a lawyer is a lawyer, is it not true?

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 11:18:23 AM »
By definition I guess a lawyer is a lawyer, but big differences.  Going away from race for an example, think of a young family lawyer.  A young couple fighting over trivial things tells him they want a divorce and he immediately starts the process.  But think about if they went to an experienced lawyer who had been married for 20 years.  Instead of immediately starting the divorce process he sees there differnces are more on a surface level and recommends a marriage thearpist and they eventually reconcil.  Same could be said ofr minority lawyers dealing with minority clients, they will be much better informed of their clients interest in complicated situations.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 01:15:56 PM »
I don't think the lawyer would want to interfere in their life though, what if the people REALLY can't work it out, and the guy kills her, then where would the lawyer be? Was that LEGAL advice he gave them, it's not warrented.

I still don't think it matters, maybe if someone can't speak English, but then they'd have bigger problems anyways.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 02:35:23 PM »
IMVinny: No, a lawyer is not a lawyer in that respect.  How would you feel if you walked into a firm for an interview and every person there was a different race and sex than you?  Pretty strange, huh?  I think that people with different experiences and opinions than mine bring fresh insights and perspectives to the table.  This is exactly when law schools like to have classes that are diverse in EC's, WE, race, sex, age, etc.  If you have 300 people who are all white middle class males from suburban communities, you really are not going to find a lot of difference of perspective. 

Diversity is valued for the effect it has on attitudes.  Come on now...you have to at least realize that.

As for your comment on the divorce attorney: clients do not only come to you for legal advice, but because you have probably seen the situation before.  our firm deals with consumer law and we not only file suits for clients, but help them find (non legal) resources to help them deal with other problems (and keep them from paying to litigate petty things).  This is why you want an experienced attorney who has "been there, done that".