Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Apply Online/ snail mail?  (Read 987 times)

Kelley

Apply Online/ snail mail?
« on: March 20, 2003, 01:51:00 AM »
Does anyone out there know if applying online or sending in an application via snail mail is better?  Thanks :)

Dave

Re: Apply Online/ snail mail?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 06:10:50 AM »
I was concerned about this also, so I asked the admissions advisor.  She said that the electronic apps are preferred because the information can be automatically entered into their applicant data bank instead of having someone hand type all the info on your app.  Also, my school gave a $25 price break on the application fee- not a ton of $$ but it helps.  I don't really think a school would regard an electronic app any differently, otherwise they wouldn't offer it as an option in the first place.  

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
Re: Apply Online/ snail mail?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 09:47:33 AM »
My question would be, preferred by whom?  I would imagine that there are two groups of individuals to be concerned with: those that prepare incoming applications for review in the selection process (i.e., admissions advisor), and those who actually sit on the selection committee.

I would submit that Dave is correct in his assertion that an admissions advisor would prefer the electronic application for the reason Dave stated above.  However, if the admissions advisor is not actually a member of the selection committee, or does not have "direct influence" (See relevant case law for applicable definition  ;)) over the selection process, then it could be argued that it shouldn't matter whether they type it or you send it electronically.

On the other hand, having a possibly underpaid and annoyed individual forced to read your horrible handwriting and type out your information does introduce the possibility of additional mistakes.

Since I trust pissed-off underpaid office workers more than my computer, I sent mine in by hand. ;D

Good luck.

lp
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator