Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Black People hate Koreans??  (Read 59304 times)

divad

• View Profile
Re: Do Black People hate Koreans??
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 01:21:24 AM »
There definitely has been past occurrences of black-korean conflict.  Before the LA riots there was a boycott of korean groceries in NY by black americans who felt as though the koreans were being discriminating.  people from both sides were shot, which led community leaders to come up with a peaceful reconciliation.

Many koreans in america racially discriminate against blacks for several reasons.  i am in no way justifying it, but just listing some causes as to why this phenomenon is happening.  For one, many korean americans have experienced crime first-hand from black americans.  i have personally experienced this both in ny and california as i have watched my parents hand over their money in hold ups at gun point.

secondly though, it is because koreans they have adopted the "white" view of african americans, and all the negative stereotypes that go along with it.  where else would they have this preconception that blacks are violent, lazy, and dangerous?  there is no significant black population in korea.  blacks do not understand why koreans would so easily adopt this view, as the history of the korean people is one of oppression.  black leaders expect koreans to understand their situation because koreans have gone through a form of slavery during the japanese occupation.

what is IMPORTANT though is how the conflict was framed while it was happening.  caucasians (mainstream society) believe that it is a conflict between two stupid minorities going at it with each other because of jealousy.  what the white news reporters do not explain is that the reason why blacks are in poverty and are forced into situations where they have to steal is because white society discriminates against them.  they also do not explain the fact that koreans have adopted this "white" mentality towards blacks and therefore sometimes discriminate them.  and who are the blacks going to retaliate against?  sure aint the white people, because blacks cant touch them, it'll cause too much of a stir.  so they'll go after the easy target.  the korean americans who can't speak english.

don't you think that its strange that WHITE cops beat up a BLACK man, and the KOREANS end up taking the loss?

John Galt

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 01:41:58 AM »
Yeah my post above examines the idea of Koreans internalizing the negative stereotypes against blacks (and East Asians in general) but the question is how this whole model minority idea has led to their being no unity between the two groups and actual animosity.

I think Chris Edley and others have written about it. Interesting phenomenon.

XYZZY

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 08:34:08 AM »
Yeah my post above examines the idea of Koreans internalizing the negative stereotypes against blacks (and East Asians in general) but the question is how this whole model minority idea has led to their being no unity between the two groups and actual animosity.

I seriously doubt Koreans think of themselves as "model" minorities.  There seems to be an implication that Koreans must accept either the value system of African Americans or the value system of White Americans. 

If anything the overtones are offensive in that it depicts Asians as an Uncle Tom among minorities, which simply isn't true.  Just because the value system of education and entrepreneurship may be more similar to white Americans does not mean Koreans are trying to be not black.. or as the overtones suggest "pleasing whitey".

Your post indicates a false dichotomy of a world where one fits as either the white oppressor or a stigmitized minority.  The fact of the matter is Asians bring an additional component that is neither. 

John Galt

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 09:10:59 AM »
"Just because the value system of education and entrepreneurship may be more similar to white Americans."

I rest my case.

John Galt

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 09:30:54 AM »

I seriously doubt Koreans think of themselves as "model" minorities.  There seems to be an implication that Koreans must accept either the value system of African Americans or the value system of White Americans. 

If anything the overtones are offensive in that it depicts Asians as an Uncle Tom among minorities, which simply isn't true.  Just because the value system of education and entrepreneurship may be more similar to white Americans does not mean Koreans are trying to be not black.. or as the overtones suggest "pleasing whitey".

Your post indicates a false dichotomy of a world where one fits as either the white oppressor or a stigmitized minority.  The fact of the matter is Asians bring an additional component that is neither. 

Congratulations on not reading any of my post. Who cares how Koreans perceive themselves? White people are the one who classify East Asians as model minorities. And there is no implication that they must accept one or the other. Look at Latinos for example. It seems as if they chose to embrace being white(consider why asian parents will let their kids date white people, but not black people for example).

Your second paragraph reinforces my entire point that Koreans and East Asians internalize negative stereotypes and generalizations about blacks. And as for your final paragraphy, I'm not putting anyone in a box...but I'm curious, what is this additional component that they bring? What I'm saying is that East Asians may (or may not) have the inclination for upward mobility and see anything black as a hinderance to that upward mobility. Feel free to challenge this line of thought though.

XYZZY

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2005, 09:57:34 AM »

Congratulations on not reading any of my post. Who cares how Koreans perceive themselves? White people are the one who classify East Asians as model minorities. And there is no implication that they must accept one or the other. Look at Latinos for example. It seems as if they chose to embrace being white(consider why asian parents will let their kids date white people, but not black people for example).

Your second paragraph reinforces my entire point that Koreans and East Asians internalize negative stereotypes and generalizations about blacks. And as for your final paragraphy, I'm not putting anyone in a box...but I'm curious, what is this additional component that they bring? What I'm saying is that East Asians may (or may not) have the inclination for upward mobility and see anything black as a hinderance to that upward mobility. Feel free to challenge this line of thought though.

Go back and reread your post. 

"Yeah my post above examines the idea of Koreans internalizing the negative stereotypes against blacks (and East Asians in general) but the question is how this whole model minority idea has led to their being no unity between the two groups and actual animosity."

There is nothing in there that indicates a white labelling.  And if this model minority had no connection to Korean belief, how could it lead to a lack of unity between the groups?

You're using an interesting tactic for this debate.  For some reason you feel free to make generalizations among groups, but if a statement is made that is counter to your post, you make the claim of overgeneralization/stereotype.

Let's say that Koreans do adopt 'white stereotypes' on blacks.  What claim do you have that this is done to any greater degree than that adopted by even African Americans?

Nice double-standard on Asians.

metoo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2005, 10:14:51 AM »
LOL!  You people make me laugh.  Trust me, black people could care less about Koreans.  In most parts of the country we see too few of them to give them a second thought.  Most of us have too many pressing problems too worry about disliking another minority group.  From my experiences as a black, most of us don't sit around discussing how much better the Koreans get treated by mainstream Americans than us because no one cares. I've been black my whole life, most of my friends have been black throughout my life, my family is black and never once have I had a conversation about how Koreans are treated better than blacks.  The majority of black I know simply feel that most of mainstream America is racist, and that's that, but they don't sit around dwelling on it.  No one really cares. You can try to discredit me by saying that I'm stereotyping and only speaking from personal experiences, but trust me on this on.

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2005, 10:28:26 AM »
Is it just an assumption or do black people IN GENERAL hate koreans?? 
I ask this because I remember that there was a LA riot when Rodney King was beaten by the White police, and the Black people attacked all the korean grocery markets and destroyed everything.  My parents always told me that it was indeed initiated by Koreans since Koreans made majority of their money off of African-Americans, yet still showed no respect and acted as if they were the upper class compared to the Blacks.

I also remember when Ice Cube made a rap song dissing Koreans, and some other notable hating words by others about Koreans.  Is this true?? 

I'm not trying to start s**t, I'm just really really curious since this doesn't seem to be the case in Canada.(I'm korean btw) 

With all due respect, your parents are morons.

I love when people somehow try to excuse mindless violence by blaming the victims.  Koreans are also a minority, and they also experience discrimination.  They are often the only people with the balls and work ethic to start up businesses in ghetto neighborhoods. In the process, they perform a valuable service for the community - selling not just liquor, but food, otc medications and other groceries. 

Given that Koreans did not grow up here, one must presume that any lack of respect was generally earned by the surrounding community, in the way they acted towards the people who were simply there to perform a needed service.
T25 or bust

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2005, 10:30:26 AM »
I believe the LA riots occurred because the rioting blacks wanted a scapegoat for their economic hardships. 

Ice Cube said that Koreans were coming into the ghettos and taking money out to send their kids to college.  Thus, Koreans were taking money out of the ghettos and keeping the ghetto down.  I know Ice Cube was very young when he said this so I can forgive him for such idiotic logic.  There are much larger problems facing the ghetto than a korean-owned liqour store on the corner.  For example, welfare, crime, poverty, violence, drugs, fatherless homes. 

So, according to Ice Cube, if liqour stores were black-owned, the problems of the ghettos would disappear??  YEA RIGHT.    It's not like black-owners would stay in the ghetto if they had the chance to get out.  If anything, the korean liqour-store owners should be commended for their bravery.  Think about it.  Koreans, who barely speak english, go into the ghettos to make money to provide a better life for their family.  That is brave and beautiful.  In Ice Cube's defense, his latest movies ("Barber Shop", "Are We There Yet", etc) show he has refocused his efforts to effect social change in a more positive manner.

The movie Menace to Society was an extreme example of ghetto life.  I think after Tupac and Biggie died, pop culture started moving away from thug life towards a more positive attitude.  I believe there are many blacks and koreans that get along just fine in everyday life.  Here's to hope...

Exactly.  Ice Cube is (was?) a moron.  If african-americans wanted to start shops in the ghetto, they obviously could (many have).  And yes, it's terrible to save your money for your children's education. 
T25 or bust

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2005, 10:46:50 AM »
I dated a Korean woman and the idea of did blacks hate koreans was brought up. Her take was that the Koreans in L.A. exploited the black community and often treated black customers like darn. And by darn, I mean following customers around the store, speaking in another language while pointing at black customers, putting change on the counter instead of the black customers' hands. And so the burning of the Korean stores was an outlash at the obvious lack of respect the Korean community had for Blacks.

Does anyone wonder WHY Koreans followed their customers around the store?  That maybe there was a reason for it?  Is it possible that they couldn't afford to have customers shoplift anymore?  And if so, is this really unreasonable behavior?

Also, if many of the customers in such neighborhoods have questionable hygiene (quite likely), then should we really be surprised or offended if store owners don't want direct physical contact with them? 

Finally, how is it "exploiting" anyone to offer goods for sale on the open market?  Is the same resentment directed at drug dealers, pimps, prostitutes -- the people who actually are exploiting and harming the communities?

I love how even some Koreans have been brainwashed into accepting that there was somehow some acceptable justification in the rioting simply because store owners were rationally responding to their environment.

I'm not from LA, so I can't speak for black people there, but in general black people don't hate Koreans. I've never heard any of my black friends ever talk negatively about Koreans or Asians for that matter. I will say that I think there may be some animosity in the black community since Asians are seen as the "model minority" and they do whatever they can to be perceived as "not black." So I think they latch on to a lot of the negative stereotypes and generalizations about black people that makes any communication, relationship, and unity between the two communities very strained.

I think the primary reason some people in the ghetto resent Koreans is because they work hard and become succesful, despite not being part of the "majority".  As such, they reaffirm the fact that most problems in such communities are largely self-inflicted. 

(This is why more successful blacks who live elsewhere probably don't dislike Asians as all, as they probably share similar values of sacrifice and achievement.)

I don't think Asians try to be "not black" at all.  Rather, they're simply being Asian, with cultural values of work, sacrifice, and education.  And Asians really don't care that much how white people perceive them.  I had a Chinese roommate, and I learned fairly quickly that many Asians look down on most whites as well as blacks.  Why?  For the same reason -- because neither group does as much with their opportunities as they could.  (Asians, on average, tend to be more succesful than whites as well, despite often starting out with less.)

And again, there doesn't appear to be any reason to believe that Asians are "latching on" to any stereotype or prejudice.  Rather, they're simply responding to what they see around them, and acting accordingly.  I'm not really sure how they can be blamed for this.  If residents of those communities have a problem with Korean owners, they can band together, buy a store, and run it themselves. 
T25 or bust