Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Black People hate Koreans??  (Read 60186 times)

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do Black People hate Koreans??
« on: July 19, 2005, 06:15:34 PM »
Is it just an assumption or do black people IN GENERAL hate koreans?? 
I ask this because I remember that there was a LA riot when Rodney King was beaten by the White police, and the Black people attacked all the korean grocery markets and destroyed everything.  My parents always told me that it was indeed initiated by Koreans since Koreans made majority of their money off of African-Americans, yet still showed no respect and acted as if they were the upper class compared to the Blacks.

I also remember when Ice Cube made a rap song dissing Koreans, and some other notable hating words by others about Koreans.  Is this true?? 

I'm not trying to start s**t, I'm just really really curious since this doesn't seem to be the case in Canada.(I'm korean btw) 

newbie83

• View Profile
Re: Do Black People hate Koreans??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 01:15:49 AM »

I know it's generally not my place to speak for all african-americans, but I'm gonna go ahead and say no, black people do not hate koreans. I'm black and some of my best friends are korean.

Then I guess menace to society wasn't a generalization for all black people! Whew! ;D

asiangirl83

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 04:16:09 AM »
I hope not. I'm Korean!
Pharell Williams is hot

Byronic Hero

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 04:29:57 AM »
No, but I do.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=ByronicHero

In:  Ohio State, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Capital, UNLV and Oklahoma.
Out: W&L
Waitlisted: IU-Bloomington, Utah, W&M
Pending:  Case Western

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 05:44:06 AM »
true koreans (i.e. born and raised in korea, as opposed to pseudo koreans - their kids born in america) are some of the most racist people that you'll encounter

that being said, black people hate everyone
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

blaze.1

• yellow snow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 08:48:24 AM »
I believe the LA riots occurred because the rioting blacks wanted a scapegoat for their economic hardships. 

Ice Cube said that Koreans were coming into the ghettos and taking money out to send their kids to college.  Thus, Koreans were taking money out of the ghettos and keeping the ghetto down.  I know Ice Cube was very young when he said this so I can forgive him for such idiotic logic.  There are much larger problems facing the ghetto than a korean-owned liqour store on the corner.  For example, welfare, crime, poverty, violence, drugs, fatherless homes. 

So, according to Ice Cube, if liqour stores were black-owned, the problems of the ghettos would disappear??  YEA RIGHT.    It's not like black-owners would stay in the ghetto if they had the chance to get out.  If anything, the korean liqour-store owners should be commended for their bravery.  Think about it.  Koreans, who barely speak english, go into the ghettos to make money to provide a better life for their family.  That is brave and beautiful.  In Ice Cube's defense, his latest movies ("Barber Shop", "Are We There Yet", etc) show he has refocused his efforts to effect social change in a more positive manner.

The movie Menace to Society was an extreme example of ghetto life.  I think after Tupac and Biggie died, pop culture started moving away from thug life towards a more positive attitude.  I believe there are many blacks and koreans that get along just fine in everyday life.  Here's to hope...
Attending: Temple

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 01:38:38 PM »
I believe there are many blacks and koreans that get along just fine in everyday life.  Here's to hope...

I think you're right on that count.  If not, where on earth did Crystal Kay come from?  ;)

"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

YoungIke

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 03:08:16 PM »
First, Hell no blacks don't hate Koreans. Now as for the Ice Cube statements, there are liquor stores and carry outs on every corner in Black communities. These are usually owned by Asians. Not to many black folks would own and run a liquor store in there own community. And it is also that the money made in these stores does not go back into Afro American businesses in the community. This does not mean we hate Koreans it just means we are aware of the exploitation of lower income black communities.

I believe the LA riots occurred because the rioting blacks wanted a scapegoat for their economic hardships.

Ice Cube said that Koreans were coming into the ghettos and taking money out to send their kids to college. Thus, Koreans were taking money out of the ghettos and keeping the ghetto down. I know Ice Cube was very young when he said this so I can forgive him for such idiotic logic. There are much larger problems facing the ghetto than a korean-owned liqour store on the corner. For example, welfare, crime, poverty, violence, drugs, fatherless homes.

So, according to Ice Cube, if liqour stores were black-owned, the problems of the ghettos would disappear?? YEA RIGHT. It's not like black-owners would stay in the ghetto if they had the chance to get out. If anything, the korean liqour-store owners should be commended for their bravery. Think about it. Koreans, who barely speak english, go into the ghettos to make money to provide a better life for their family. That is brave and beautiful. In Ice Cube's defense, his latest movies ("Barber Shop", "Are We There Yet", etc) show he has refocused his efforts to effect social change in a more positive manner.

The movie Menace to Society was an extreme example of ghetto life. I think after Tupac and Biggie died, pop culture started moving away from thug life towards a more positive attitude. I believe there are many blacks and koreans that get along just fine in everyday life. Here's to hope...

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 04:48:24 PM »
true koreans (i.e. born and raised in korea, as opposed to pseudo koreans - their kids born in america) are some of the most racist people that you'll encounter

that being said, black people hate everyone

I think this statement is so true. (The first statement)
I was born in korea but raised in Canada, and I am fully aware how racist koreans are.  It's funny how Koreans say that so-and-so are racist, yet they don't recognize that koreans are at times the most racist people. 

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 04:51:34 PM »

Ice Cube said that Koreans were coming into the ghettos and taking money out to send their kids to college.  Thus, Koreans were taking money out of the ghettos and keeping the ghetto down.  I know Ice Cube was very young when he said this so I can forgive him for such idiotic logic.  There are much larger problems facing the ghetto than a korean-owned liqour store on the corner.  For example, welfare, crime, poverty, violence, drugs, fatherless homes. 

So, according to Ice Cube, if liqour stores were black-owned, the problems of the ghettos would disappear??  YEA RIGHT.    It's not like black-owners would stay in the ghetto if they had the chance to get out.  If anything, the korean liqour-store owners should be commended for their bravery.  Think about it.  Koreans, who barely speak english, go into the ghettos to make money to provide a better life for their family.  That is brave and beautiful.  In Ice Cube's defense, his latest movies ("Barber Shop", "Are We There Yet", etc) show he has refocused his efforts to effect social change in a more positive manner.

The movie Menace to Society was an extreme example of ghetto life.  I think after Tupac and Biggie died, pop culture started moving away from thug life towards a more positive attitude.  I believe there are many blacks and koreans that get along just fine in everyday life.  Here's to hope...

Was Ice cube ever confronted by the song he made towards koreans??  And if he was, how did he respond to it?