Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Black People hate Koreans??  (Read 59762 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do Black People hate Koreans??
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2007, 10:40:05 AM »
one of the sticking points seems to be the fact that immigrant groups have access to capital while african americans are often denied such access.

Do you have proof of this or is this just what you think is happening?

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »
Actually I've heard that black people have less access to capital for several years now, but nobody has pointed me to a study. Any takers? I'm curious.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2007, 12:45:27 PM »
Then I'd have to read each study to determine if it's valid. It'd take at least an hour.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2007, 10:39:33 AM »
It means that it is just his opinion and therefore not relevant unless he can show some proof of it.  That's why I asked for a link. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2007, 11:33:09 AM »
Yeah, I wanted to know if he had anything to base his opinion on.  What is the point of discussing a topic if people only use their opinions to make points. 

It is my opinion that Hillary Clinton is a lesbian who eats babies.  Now, please, only answer the following question: Why is she a lesbian and why does she eat babies?

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2007, 01:13:55 PM »
(It's been a *very* long time since I've posted on this board, but because the S&G board is so dead and this topic hits close to home...)

I'm black, and grew up an Army brat. As such, I enjoyed living in some of the most diverse areas in the country despite their seeming unlikelihood, thanks to the military's proud (and ironic) tradition of being at the vanguard of multiculturalism in America. Who would've imagined that a town in central Texas would boast a population, 1/3rd of which were Korean-Americans?

The military presents a concise, yet very diverse sampling of pretty much every ethnicity, race, and creed there is in America. My neighbors were Puerto Rican, Samoan, and Filipino. My first girlfriend was Japanese-Korean, my sixth grade history teacher was Jewish, etc.

So, I grew up very close to Koreans, and relished the opportunity. I became a bit of a Koreaphile, teaching myself as much about their language and culture as I could, hoping to one day become fluent in Hanguk-mal.

However, once I left my delightful little military microcosm, I quickly learned that not all diverse communities are made equal. I moved to the East Coast, in an urban neighborhood with a large Korean and Black population. It was horrid; I was exposed to a level of racism I thought didn't exist anymore, I have never felt so categorically snubbed. Even though I was eager to live in this new environment with my Korean neighbors, willing to engage them *in their own language*, their complete and utter disdain for me as a black male was f-ing palpable.

There were some bright spots, to be sure, but they were disturbingly few and far between. The experience has left a very nasty taste in my mouth, I became extremely resentful, I even dropped my major from East Asian studies because I felt so betrayed (it didn't help that the stories of black travellers to Korea itself were uniformly worse, either).

It means that it is just his opinion and therefore not relevant unless he can show some proof of it.  That's why I asked for a link. 

You cannot possibly have such a bizarrely myopic view of U.S. history. A two-second Google search on "lending discrimination" provided:

http://www.huduser.org/publications/fairhsg/lending.html - What We Know About Mortgage Lending Discrimination in America, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Recent Perspectives on African-Americans in Post-Industrial Labor Markets, by James B. Stewart, The American Economic Review 1997

This isn't exactly a *shockingly new* idea that blacks suffered extensive economic discrimination throughout the last two centuries. Though not limited specifically to blacks, it's kinda why things like the Fair Housing Act were passed in the first place.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2007, 02:24:07 PM »
That study is 8 years old according to HUD (Sept. 1999) done by the Urban institute, but I found no such Sept. 1999 study on Urban's website...5 minutes wasted my friend.

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
That study is 8 years old according to HUD (Sept. 1999) done by the Urban institute, but I found no such Sept. 1999 study on Urban's website...5 minutes wasted my friend.

Done by the Urban Institute, sponsored and commissioned by HUD. The fact that it's nine years old isn't at all dispositive; it illustrates that there has been a history of economic discrimination against minorities (blacks and latinos in particular) as recently as nine years ago.

You have to be trolling, besides. I refuse to believe that a potential law student actually thinks that the history of race relations in the U.S. has been nothing but "Flowers and Sunshine" with parity for all since the Emancipation Proclamation. If so, you're in a for a rude awakening once (or should) you ever get into Property class.

Anyway, I felt that I should qualify my previous post about being a *former* Koreaphile. It's not to say that I hate Koreans now because of the experience, nor do I honestly believe that *all* Koreans hate black people (I know better from where I grew up), but I offered my experience to illustrate that relations between Blacks and Koreans probably aren't as good as they could be in a few places.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2007, 02:21:56 PM »
Potential ls? lol.

I know problems exist; I just can't find that study on Urban's website. In other words, this particular allegation - lending discrimination - I have seen no studies on.

You sure get worked up over nothing.

oyvey

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »
I'm not sure...I just happened to look up Korean Store in the google search engine and found a movie by Spike Lee where they had Korean store in an inner city neighborhood made mostly up of Blacks and Hispanics. In the movie they would blatantly disregard any human decency towards the Koreans (a mother, father and little boy) and they were about to burn down the Korean store until the father said I'm one of you, I'm black too. Then this guy was like no leave him but I think they burned down another asian store or restaurant. If you ever find the answer that would be nice to know but honestly I think it depends on the person and why is/was there so much cruel things done and said about koreans by the african-american race? BTW I'm korean,african-american and many more.