Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Off Waitlist IU-B  (Read 1428 times)

vkschicago

• View Profile
Off Waitlist IU-B
« on: July 19, 2005, 06:01:11 PM »
I just received the call today.  Now a new problem.

I was planning to attend IU-Indy.  Because my current lease is up on July 29th, I had to sign a lease, and just moved into that place last weekend.  Now I would have to break my lease and find new housing in Bloomington.

Are the differences between IU-Indy and IU-B significant enough to justify this expense and hassle?  Any thoughts would be appreciated as I have to decide by thursday.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Off Waitlist IU-B
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 07:40:05 PM »
I think you should seriously consider Bloomington.  I was accepted there (and decided to go to my state school - WI), but I LOVED a lot of things about the school.  It places well, and everyone there has a very relaxed friendly attitude (rare these days). 

Have you visited IUB yet?

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 10:07:58 PM »
I havent visited Bloomington, but IU-Indy is just as friendly, and I did get less financial aid from Bloomington, but Bloomington is also a much better ranked school (Although i am well aware of the controversy over rankings, IUB is 35 and IUI is 99ths).

I am truly stuck here, I have no idea what to do.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 11:45:30 PM »
What type of law do you want to practice?

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 11:54:12 PM »
International

lbritton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 01:07:19 AM »
Hey congratulations on getting off the waitlist at IU-B! If you have any advice for someone still on it I would love to hear it. I'm afraid that I don't much about either school's international law program. Although I would imagine they are pretty similar.

polis13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 10:08:42 AM »
Do you want to share your numbers?  Curious b/c I'm itching to get of IU-B's wl too and sometimes they just go up the number chart to pick people. 
And as the previous poster asked, did you do anything particular to bug them prior to the call? 

bhsueiu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 10:25:36 AM »
I did my masters at IU-B, and worked in a student affairs office there that worked with international students.  IU as a whole has a VERY strong international reputation that you might never know if you didn't know something about the school.  I'm not sure if they still hold this distinction, but I beleive at one point they had more Title VI funded area studies centers than any other public institution (even more obscure centers, like the only Inner Asian and Uralic National Resource Center).  With it's ranking, the University's strong international ties, and strong study abroad programs, I think you'd be a little crazy to pass them up if you want your specialty to be international law.  Besides, the campus is beautiful, and the town is a great place to spend 3 years.

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 11:15:32 AM »
Numbers 158/3.9

I did not do anything extraordinary to get off the waitlist.  I did send a letter of continued interest sometime prob in April, but other than that, no contact.  I did not visit the school. 

Both schools have international programs.  IU-B has semester study abroad programs, while IU-I only has summer programs.  IU-I has a strong rep with the Indianapolis area firms.  I do, however, have a better Finaid package at IU-I, and tuition is a little cheaper.  And then there is the ever present cost of breaking a lease and moving twice in a month........

GatorLCA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 03:29:42 PM »
Congrats VKS. I also just got a call from IU a few minutes ago, and I'm in too. See you in Bloomington!